Pulled Pork - Success

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
mastamike

Pulled Pork - Success

Post by mastamike »

Well I thought it would be rude not to share a couple of pics from my latest success.

My choice of cut was a pork scotch / neck / boston butt / collar butt or whatever you would like to call it.

Method:

Meat was inject 24 hours before with a mixture of salt, sugar, Worcestershire, rice vinegar, apple juice and water.

At the same time is got a nice smothering of mild mustard and a liberal dusting of Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub.

Weber was set snake method and 15-20 coals were lit to get her going. Hickory was my choice of smoke. My target temp was 240-250f. I've moved away from 225f.

She went on at 4.00am and my target internal temp was 203f. Temp stalled for nearly 4 hours at 157f but I didn't want to wrap and sacrifice bark quality. I also purposely did not spritz with any apple juice or other substance to ensure the stall was not prolonged even further. It was 5.30pm when she reached 203f and I took her off, wrapped her tightly in foil and towels. Pulled here at 7.30pm and had the nicest pulled pork I have ever tasted! The perfect mixture of smoke, bark and juicy tender meat. It was even better the next day!

A few pics below.

The mustard and the rub

The meat after its injection and rub

Snake setup

Meat at 203f

Meat after resting

The pulling

paulr
Forum Administrator

Re: Pulled Pork - Success

Post by paulr »

That looks delicious! Gotta luv them pulled pork.
4am eugh I remember those day....

Now I start early (not 4am tho) and finish just before dinner...

Happy BBQ-ing, Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Great looking pulled pork, Done the good ole way before things got so complicated :) Love your work
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

Nice looking pork! How big was the cut?
mastamike

Post by mastamike »

I think the cut was about 2.7kg from memory.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

mastamike,

That pork looks awesome......and it's just a testament of how versatile the humble Weber kettle is as a BBQ. For smaller cooks like this, all you need is some technique that you've shown and a well built BBQ like the Kettle and unless you're catering for a large family, this is all you need as smokers tend to use up a lot more fuel for similar results with only an advantage being that most will fit a lot more meat. The Snake method is definitely the most economical and practical way of smoking in a Kettle.

Great job mastamike :)

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
mastamike

Post by mastamike »

Cheers Davo. We definitely over complicate things sometimes. Smoke, heat and meat. That is all you need. I saw Jamie Oliver on tv the other day with a shallow hole dug, maybe 200mm, filled with coals and his little battery powered spit similar to the Weber attachment you can buy, sitting over top. I thought it was fantastic. Might give it a shot.