Replace Wood Handles on Weber Kettle

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
bennoc

Replace Wood Handles on Weber Kettle

Post by bennoc »

Hi guys, after giving my kettle away a few years ago I've picked up another one second hand in mint condition in time for Christmas, however it has the old style wood handles on it and I would rather replace them with the new look ones. Anyone know if they are a straight swap with the new style handles?

Also I want to put a thermometer in the lid, is it as simple as drilling a hole in the lid and screwing it in, or is it more involved?
Smokey

Re: Replace Wood Handles on Weber Kettle

Post by Smokey »

A straight swap but many would think your mad. People buy aftermarket wood handles at considerable expence to replace their plastic handles. :shock: . If they are in good nic, Im sure you could swap them with someone with plastic handles.
Tape both sides of the lid when drilling to prevent the enamel chipping. It will still chip a little bit. Seal the edge with high temp engine paint.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
bennoc

Post by bennoc »

I didn't realise the wood handles were so popular. I figured I would swap them because this was in such mint condition of I added a thermometer and replaced the wood handles with new you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a brand new OTS. Happy to leave the wood handles then, they are in perfect condition, and I reckon they make it look pretty good too (and from doing a cook last night seem to be much cooler than the plastic ones I had on my last kettle)
mb403

Post by mb403 »

I take my wooden handles off once per year on my 3 and give them a good wet and dry sand before coating with decking/wood stainer. Keeps them looking new and fresh.

OCAU.COM & AUSSIEPITMASTERS Forum Member
bennoc

Post by bennoc »

Following up on my original post, I decided I would rather the newer plastic handles, and amazingly Weber have sent some new ones out to me. Going to stick the wood ones up on Gumtree since they seem popular, but does anyone know how much I should ask for them? I attached a pic to show the condition, but can't for the life of me think of a price to list them for.

beginner

Post by beginner »

this a joke?
bennoc

Post by bennoc »

What part sounds like a joke? I don't like the wood handles, I've got replacement plastic handles, and want to get rid of the wood ones which are apparently very popular with Weber enthusiasts.

And for what it's worth, I've just woken up and have a bunch of messages from people on Gumtree wanting them.
Dogkarma

Post by Dogkarma »

bennoc wrote:What part sounds like a joke? I don't like the wood handles, I've got replacement plastic handles, and want to get rid of the wood ones which are apparently very popular with Weber enthusiasts.

And for what it's worth, I've just woken up and have a bunch of messages from people on Gumtree wanting them.
Mate he's not having a crack at you,the purest weber guys pay top dollar for these handles,they are rare and weber don't produce them anymore,I'm not surprised you've had a lot of interest in them at all and I hope you charged a good amount for them,after market handles fetch upwards of $30US for each,and what you have is all three original mint weber handles,pretty special find and a find worth keeping but hey it's your call mate.
Weber 57cm compact
Weber smokey mountain
Weber 22 inch One Touch Silver,1988
beginner

Post by beginner »

Dogkarma wrote:
bennoc wrote:What part sounds like a joke? I don't like the wood handles, I've got replacement plastic handles, and want to get rid of the wood ones which are apparently very popular with Weber enthusiasts.

Mate he's not having a crack at you,the purest weber guys pay top dollar for these handles,they are rare and weber don't produce them anymore,I'm not surprised you've had a lot of interest in them at all and I hope you charged a good amount for them,after market handles fetch upwards of $30US for each,and what you have is all three original mint weber handles,pretty special find and a find worth keeping but hey it's your call mate.
Yeah didn't mean for that to come across as harsh, although I was baffled, but then I'm one of the guys who has forked out for aftermarket wooden jobbies. Summed it up nicely though Dogkarma thanks.

For your thermometer bennoc pretty much just drill a hole and screw. I did my mini WSM build using Weber brand gauges and was just a matter of punching the spot, drill, bit of file and fasten the wing nut. Whatever type you get just make sure it doesn't have a massive probe length or it'll get in the way.
wheeliekegman

Post by wheeliekegman »

Old thread I know - But a continual issue for Weber lovers...
I have just launched www.kettlehandles.com for Aussie made and sent from the Gold Coast...
Might be worth a look?