My Kamado Big Joe

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
adam89

My Kamado Big Joe

Post by adam89 »

Hello everyone,

I was posed with a dilemma earlier in the year after receiving BBQs Galore vouchers and being torn between the Smoke King. In the end I decided to go with the KJ Big Joe. I put it on Layby and finally after 4 months I paid it off. I picked it up the other week along with a bag of KJ Charcoal to get myself started.

After having the fun task of removing it from my Ute, I've placed it in my garage while I finish the final touches to the rest of my new house. That thing was awkward and heavy to move. Now it teases me everytime I go there to do work.

I ordered my Maverick ET-733 on Friday from Urban Griller, on Monday it was delivered to my door. I think I'll be looking at trying out the goods from WA Mallee Charcoal. I think I've got the basics to make my first cook easier. Hopefully I'll get to fire it up before Christmas.

Adam.

Muppet

My Kamado Big Joe

Post by Muppet »

Sounds pretty solid mate, it's a Two person job putting them together (easier this way) how do you plan on lighting it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
adam89

Re: My Kamado Big Joe

Post by adam89 »

Muppet wrote:Sounds pretty solid mate, it's a Two person job putting them together (easier this way) how do you plan on lighting it?
I ended up having a few mates around and lifted it with 3 of us into a wheelbarrow with carpet in it. Wheeled that around to the back then we lifted it together into the stand. Many hands made light work.

I ended up cooking some chicken thighs on it for the first time during the week. I used a couple natural firefighters that they sell at Barbecue Galore. The first time I lit it to burn off any undesirables I used a butane torch and held it in a few spots over ~2 minutes. I'm going to be using a single firefighter in the centre when I do my first slow cook.
SlowBurn

Post by SlowBurn »

Hi adam89 et al congratulations on the Big Joe purchase!

I myself am looking at moving up from my tinny/cheap Weber clone to a Big Joe Kamado (this is my first post too) so I'm keen to find out how you've been finding the unit performing for you so far?

Also to others who have the Kamado's is it worth my while to spend the extra on the Big Joe or is the Classic plenty big enough? I'd hate to skimp out and get the smaller one just because of the cost and regret the real estate - that being said I'm not likely to cook for a large crowd on a regular basis anyway.

Appreciate any feedback and thanks for making such an insightful forum here. I've lurked for a while working to hone my knowledge and I'm really keen to participate here going forward.

Thanks!

SB
DClem

Post by DClem »

Hi SB - go with the big one if you can.

I have a primo XL which I think is smaller than the Big Joe - but bigger than a standard - and I don't regret it.

May not need it all the time, but when you do it's great.

I can do 3 pizzas at a time on mine and oodles of meat when needed.

All the best

DC
SlowBurn

Post by SlowBurn »

Thanks DC I think I'll look to get the Big Joe in a few weeks (just cranked out some very nice ribs on my old tinny). Need to justify it more to myself than the missus.

I like the idea of being able to do multiple pizzas at the one time I'd not thought about that side of it. I figure if I spend the money I might as well make the most of it :)

Cheers,

SB
BeachedBro

My Kamado Big Joe

Post by BeachedBro »

Really depends on how much space you have and how often you'll be having a party for 4 or more people. I just got the classic and can easily fit 4-5 racks with a rib rack. It's big enough for me and my family. (Wife and 2 kids). You can get a grill extender for an extra level to cook on.

Only reason I got the classic is I'm in an apartment and don't have the room. If you can go bigger then do it. The BJ is massive and uses more fuel too don't forget.
Pesto3

My Kamado Big Joe

Post by Pesto3 »

SlowBurn wrote:Hi adam89 et al congratulations on the Big Joe purchase!

I myself am looking at moving up from my tinny/cheap Weber clone to a Big Joe Kamado (this is my first post too) so I'm keen to find out how you've been finding the unit performing for you so far?

Also to others who have the Kamado's is it worth my while to spend the extra on the Big Joe or is the Classic plenty big enough? I'd hate to skimp out and get the smaller one just because of the cost and regret the real estate - that being said I'm not likely to cook for a large crowd on a regular basis anyway.

Appreciate any feedback and thanks for making such an insightful forum here. I've lurked for a while working to hone my knowledge and I'm really keen to participate here going forward.

Thanks!

SB
Hmmmm classic Vs Big Joe, the age old question LOL. When I first got my classic I never anticipated how much I would actually cook on it! I will cook on it 6 nights a week. My turbo gas BBQ rarely gets a look in. I went through a stage of buyers remorse and wished I had got the big joe but now I know I made the right decision (for me anyway)

A few things to keep in mind.

How many people are you actually going to be cooking for most of the time? You can fit a lot of meat on a classic!! They are very deceptive.

The Big Joe is an awesome bit of kit but it will take longer to heat soak then the classic which in turn will use more lump. That's not a big deal but something to remember when working out which way to go.

You could argue all day which is the better way to go and every argument would be valid.

Glen.