SMOKE

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
steinyboys

SMOKE

Post by steinyboys »

Hi all just asking your opinions on smoke, I find that every time I add a bit of wood to smoke its to over powering, and I have read that a little is a lot, I have used apple cherry black box the usual stuff, have no hickory so haven't tried that, or maybe I just dont like the flavor of smoke? The charcoal flavor works for me, or I am doing some thing wrong probably the latter lol, Having said that I struggle to get that lite blue smoke I read about, usually I get lots of what looks like white smoke billowing out of my kettle :? :? :?

Mick
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
urbangriller

Re: SMOKE

Post by urbangriller »

Mick,

Try using a snake with a Banksia cone or two for smoke, nice mild smoke, you'll like it!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Smoking with wood it'd best with low heat fire so that any wood over the coals as you need for the wood to smoulder not catch fire and burn hot which will produce a lot of white or grey smoke.
Wood chunks about fist size much better than chips and don't bother to soak them.
With the bottom vents down to barely open should not allow an established coal fire to temp spike and therefore giving you a very faint if not near invisible smoke out of top vent or chimney....whichever applicable.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

If you're using a kettle, I find the best flavour results from either wrapping the wood in foil before placing on the coals or just placing the wood on the food grate directly above the coals if you have a reasonably large fire.

I agree that placing wood directly on the coals results in too much white smoke - for too short a period of time. You get "thin blue" smoke by keeping things slightly separate...
SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB »

urbangriller wrote:Mick,

Try using a snake with a Banksia cone or two for smoke, nice mild smoke, you'll like it!

Cheers
Chris
I second this. Banksia cones are great! Over winter I've mainly been using jarrah and some hickory chunks for smoke but I do need to head out and go scavenging for some cones again. They are great for chicken!
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

urbangriller wrote:Mick,

Cheers
Chris
nice one guys BUT!!!!!! where in Melbourne do I get these Banksia cones I get my smoking woods fro Aussie BBQ smoke but have not seen these hope I can find a supplier :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Have a look on any bush block, at the bottom of the bottle brush, the cones fall off when the flowers are spent.

Chris
SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB »

Yep, go for a walk in the bush and collect some. Another benefit of banksia... not only is it a great smoke taste but it's free!
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

ok thanks guys, not a lot of bush around Melbourne but from now on will keep my eyes open for the plants, have bought some on line for a reasonable price and will give it a go as soon as it arrives :D
Fents

Post by Fents »

steinyboys wrote:ok thanks guys, not a lot of bush around Melbourne but from now on will keep my eyes open for the plants, have bought some on line for a reasonable price and will give it a go as soon as it arrives :D
royal botantical gardens mate ;)
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

steinyboys wrote:ok thanks guys, not a lot of bush around Melbourne but from now on will keep my eyes open for the plants, have bought some on line for a reasonable price and will give it a go as soon as it arrives :D
Go down to the bay and get some tea tree.
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

Tea tree ok will do and know where to get that
cheers Mick