Charcoal group buy

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Charcoal group buy

Post by Lovey » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:49 pm

G'day all,
following on from this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16148 I am putting out the feelers to gauge interest in a group buy for lump charcoal for BBQ'ers from the ACT and surrounds. If you can get to the ACT, you're more than welcome to join in.

I've spoken with Chris at Emberpak and he is going to get back to me with some prices for the charcoal and freight. I think that to make it worthwhile we would need to order a minimum of a pallet (10 bags, ie 200kgs). From my preliminary conversations, the pallet freight rates are better than the 'per bag' rate. The only gotcha with a pallet is that the receiver needs a forklift to get it off the truck and store it. I'm making some enquiries into this, as well as other options for transport and storage.

Obviously the finer details would need to be sorted out in relation to cost, transport, storage, payments, etc at a later stage.
If you're keen on the idea (no promises at this stage), reply to this thread and indicate how many bags (20kgs each) that you would be interested in.
I'll speak with Chris again and we'll sort something out and I'll let you know what we come up with.

Thanks for looking,
Steve.

Idofish

Re: Charcoal group buy

Post by Idofish » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:01 am

Hey Steve, I'll be in for about 5/6 bags

mrtonya

Post by mrtonya » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:42 am

I'd be interested in 5 bags, thanks.

Idofish

Post by Idofish » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:43 pm

Hey Steve, how many bags are needed for the group buy? Keen to get something happening

Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:40 pm

G'day all,
sorry about the delay, I've been working some odd hours of late and haven't had much spare time :( .

I have been chatting with Chris from Emberpak and he has come up with the following info.
To make transport cost effective, a pallet load has to be bought. This can be a minimum of 10 (20kg) bags.
If we buy 20 bags or more, Chris will give a discounted rate of $28 per bag.

To receive the pallet there are 2 main options:
1. Someone with a bit of spare storage area which is accessible from the driveway for a 'tailgate' courier delivery, unless someone has their own forklift :lol: . The other members could go there and pick up. This option costs $130 per pallet load.
2. Delivery to a courier depot and everyone can pick up their own bags in their own time from the depot. This option costs $100 per pallet load. Although it's a slightly cheaper option, it does leave the merchandise open to dishonest acts though.

So estimated prices would be:

$34.50 per bag with a tailgated delivery.
$33 per bag delivered to a courier depot.

These prices being based on a minimum 20 bag purchase, however freight is always going to be the killer in the equation

Hope this helps,
Steve

emberpak

Post by emberpak » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi everyone,

Just to clarify, if you are going down the option of collecting from the depot, the charcoal will need to be picked up in one go. Transport companies would not allow multiple people to turn up to pick up stock over several days.

Regards,

Chris

Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:31 pm

Thanks for clarifying Chris.
Further to that option could be that a member picks up the pallet (or unloads it into their vehicle) and takes it to their house where the others could collect it from.
Thanks again,
Steve.

Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:57 am

I think I'll put this idea to bed now.
Thanks to those that got back to me, unfortunately there wasn't enough interest to make it worthwhile ($$$ wise).
Thanks Chris @ Emberpak for your efforts and sorry that the deal didn't go ahead.
Steve.

emberpak

Post by emberpak » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:37 pm

No worries, Steve. If you guys ever want to try another group buy in the future, just ask.

Chris

JazzGMster

Post by JazzGMster » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:12 pm

If anyone wants to do an ACT group buy for the summer, I'm in for 5-7 bags or so. I used to buy from Masters but they haven't been stocking lump lately and the prices at the BBQ shops are insane.