My wife is sick of me talking about BBQ

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
whoya

Post by whoya »

Hi all,
so I got a Weber OTG to replace my old and rusted out eBay knock off.

I done a little 600g sctoch roast yesterday, it was really good ay. The lamb chops I did on Saturday were really good too.

I found I can pull off some sweet desserts, date and butterscotch self saucing pudding was good and the bread and butter pudding was also good.

I have a bad habbit of using way too much charcoal so I'm finding the temp is around 250c mark on the lid thermometer.

If I use less charcoal I will get lower temp?

I'm using mangrove charcoal. I used to do only direct grilling with my old BBQ. Just about everything I done in the new Weber is done by indirect.

What to cook next? I got all week to decide.

If I can shrink my pics I will post pics if my old BBQ it was really good for $30 and it got me started on charcoal. Win win I say.

Take it easy all
Whoya
urbangriller

Re: My wife is sick of me talking about BBQ

Post by urbangriller »

Yes, the heat is a product of how much fuel you have lit.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

also it can be dangerous relying on the dome temp
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
DingoWA

Post by DingoWA »

Haha, my wife is getting tired of it too....but didn't stop me reading out the title of your thread to her..having said that she thinks the chicken over charcoal turned on the roti on the OTG is the best.
Weber OTG/Roti, Workhorse gassers, Weber Q, GMG DC
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

My wife is sick of me buying bbqs, buying bbq accessories, watching bbq YouTube clips, etc etc as well. Any time she voices that stupidity, I go find a new recipe to impress with. Like tonight, we had Korean pulled pork with a crunchy Asian salad, and some home made Kim chi, in lettuce wraps. Blew her mind. Then remind her at that very moment why you obsess about these things hahaha
Dez

Post by Dez »

Haha. Love it. I think most of us here have wives who are sick of hearing about bbq. I've made my missus sit through so many pitmasters shows she's started talking like a Texan. The other day she said she was 'fixin' to grab a coffee.
As for the temps, you been using your vents to control ya burn?
Cheers
Dez
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

My wife is the total opposite - she tells her friends how good it is that I do a lot of the cooking, and how relieved she is after a late day at work, if she gets home, my car is already in the driveway, and she can smell smoke.

Maybe your wives need "retraining" in their thought process to appreciate that the BBQ obsession means less cooking that they have to do?

DingoWA wrote:..having said that she thinks the chicken over charcoal turned on the roti on the OTG is the best.
This is exactly the same in my place. Whenever people are coming over, they request "Mick's charcoal chicken." It's also the only non-processed meat my very fussy niece will eat. There's family jokes about me being able to convert vegetarians.
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
whoya

Post by whoya »

Convert a vegetarian, that's gold.

So I did some tbones last night they came out real good. But I still had way too much charcoal going. It worked out good coz the steaks great but I feel I still didn't achieve what I wanted.

I filled half the chimney with charcoal coz I was going to only use one coal basket but just after I got the chimney going I threw a hand full of charcoal into the chimney. So u only ended up with maybe 3/4 full chimney. The basket was full and u had some sitting next to the basket.

I will post pics when I work out how to shrink them down.

Take it easy
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

In Photobucket, select Edit, then Resize to 650 pixels wide.

Read this on how to post pictures:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5380

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
whoya

Post by whoya »

Ok here us a pic of the tbones I did last night.

Let's see if it works
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

Mixin wrote:My wife is the total opposite - she tells her friends how good it is that I do a lot of the cooking, and how relieved she is after a late day at work, if she gets home, my car is already in the driveway, and she can smell smoke.

Maybe your wives need "retraining" in their thought process to appreciate that the BBQ obsession means less cooking that they have to do?

DingoWA wrote:..having said that she thinks the chicken over charcoal turned on the roti on the OTG is the best.
This is exactly the same in my place. Whenever people are coming over, they request "Mick's charcoal chicken." It's also the only non-processed meat my very fussy niece will eat. There's family jokes about me being able to convert vegetarians.
Mines like mixins - which is just as well :twisted:
whoya

Post by whoya »

Chris thanks for the help with uploading pics.
I got a pic of my old and new BBQ.

Bit of a size difference ay. But seemed to need more charcoal to heat a smaller space.

Hopefully the misses can get some lamb sish and kofta from the butcher today. Im feeling another BBQ would be good this arvo.

Take it easy