Oh...My...God!

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
knight76

Oh...My...God!

Post by knight76 »

Bought a 47cm Weber Kettle the other day and finally did my first cook on it this afternoon.

The Kettle came with a bit less than 1/4 4kg bag of charcoal. I set it up as best I could as a pyramid with some of those white fire starter blocks at the bottom, it worked out ok and eventually got all the charcoal going but I can certainly see the benefit of the chimney style coal lighters.

So with the coals alight I spread them out, I probably didn't have enough coals in there as the layer didn't quite cover the entire base of the weber coal tray.

My pyramid:

I laid out some butcher sausages and cooked them over the coals with lid on. cooked em and Oh...My...God, honestly, these were the best sausages I have ever had.

I'm converted now, charcoal is amazing. Can't wait to get a nice ribeye and cook it on there. Chicken wings DRoooool.

I forgot to take a pic of the finished product.

After lunch went straight out and bought a 10kg bag of charcoal, and a chimney lighter for next time.
Buccaneer

Re: Oh...My...God!

Post by Buccaneer »

Welcome to the wonderful world of BBQ.
Gotta point out tho, there is no charcoal in your pics.
Americans seem prone to diluting the language by calling briquettes charcoal, but charcoal is a pure wood carbon product
Let's keep Australia on track.
Got a spare snagged?
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

I love the reaction to a real charcoal (or heat bead) BBQ. Cooking with fire.

I get it every now & then when we have people over who have never eaten anything that hasn't been cooked on electric or gas apparatus.
They can't believe how good it is to get the real flavour hit, and rave about it for days/weeks afterwards.

At their request (and cost) I now have 2nd hand Weber kettles at 2 rellos & 4 friend's places - for me to cook on when we visit them!
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
JOCKs

Post by JOCKs »

Yep you cant beat real fire, just have to master when and where to put your proteins on. I had a friend comment about waiting for the heatbeads to cool down before putting on chicken wings and drumettes. He was in awe. :shock:
knight76

Post by knight76 »

Buccaneer wrote: Gotta point out tho, there is no charcoal in your pics.
Got me there. :D

I think I am going to enjoy this cooking with real fire thing. I couldn't stop thinking about those sausages for the rest of the day lol.

So once you tip the heat beads out, what would you say is the effective cooking time you get with them? I'm not sure how long it took to do the sausages, probably 20 minutes or so, and the heat had died down a fair bit. How would you go about cooking a leg of lamb in one and keeping the heat up? More heat beads?
Last edited by knight76 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
YankQ

Post by YankQ »

Buccaneer wrote:Welcome to the wonderful world of BBQ.
Americans seem prone to diluting the language by calling briquettes charcoal, but charcoal is a pure wood carbon product
Got a spare snagged?
Well, to defend the honor of my country, there most certainly is charcoal in that picture. Briquettes are ground charcoal bound with corn starch (at their best). In conversation we call unprocessed charcoal "lump" and briquettes are "briquettes". A few might use the generic term "charcoal" to refer to briquettes, but they would be the newbies in the crowd. We would be just as suspicious of an Aussie that said "charcoal" when he meant "lump".
Jeff
Medium BGE, Large BGE, 22.5" Weber Kettle and brand new Q3200
Michael_Dunn

Post by Michael_Dunn »

> How would you go about cooking a leg of lamb in one and keeping the heat up? More heat beads?

grab yourself a copy of the kettle cookbook:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from ... k&_sacat=0

for most of the common cooks it tells you how many beads to start with.
the kettle works by having a high heat to start, then it slowly cools.

best to get a thermometer with probe, which will let you know when
the meat is at the desired temperature.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

YankQ wrote:
Got a spare snagged?
Well, to defend the honor of my country, there most certainly is charcoal in that picture. Briquettes are ground charcoal bound with corn starch (at their best). In conversation we call unprocessed charcoal "lump" and briquettes are "briquettes". A few might use the generic term "charcoal" to refer to briquettes, but they would be the newbies in the crowd. We would be just as suspicious of an Aussie that said "charcoal" when he meant "lump".
What you say is correct and no need to defend the honor of your countrymen.
Briquettes here in Australia are made with Brown or (mostly) Black Coal....so are different to the charcoal and sawdust varieties you have in the US.......we'd kill to get our hands on Kingsford here!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
YankQ

Post by YankQ »

urbangriller wrote:
YankQ wrote:
Got a spare snagged?
What you say is correct and no need to defend the honor of your countrymen.
Briquettes here in Australia are made with Brown or (mostly) Black Coal....so are different to the charcoal and sawdust varieties you have in the US.......we'd kill to get our hands on Kingsford here!

Cheers
Chris
I had no idea. My apologies to Buccaneer....however we were both right. He was right that there was no charcoal in the picture, but a picture of American briquettes would include charcoal.
Jeff
Medium BGE, Large BGE, 22.5" Weber Kettle and brand new Q3200
Jars

Post by Jars »

knight76 wrote:
Buccaneer wrote: Gotta point out tho, there is no charcoal in your pics.
Got me there. :D

I think I am going to enjoy this cooking with real fire thing. I couldn't stop thinking about those sausages for the rest of the day lol.

So once you tip the heat beads out, what would you say is the effective cooking time you get with them? I'm not sure how long it took to do the sausages, probably 20 minutes or so, and the heat had died down a fair bit. How would you go about cooking a leg of lamb in one and keeping the heat up? More heat beads?
Don't spread the charcoal/beads out too much, they burn better/hotter and maintain heat better if they're left in a bit of a pile, I fell for the trap of spreading them out when I first started, and ended up with no fire and half cooked snags! So leave them in a bit of a pile and they'll last a bit longer.

Also, the weber book as suggested is a great idea, can find them in op shops if you're lucky.
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
knight76

Post by knight76 »

YankQ wrote:I had no idea. My apologies to Buccaneer....however we were both right. He was right that there was no charcoal in the picture, but a picture of American briquettes would include charcoal.
They burn, I cook, I eat. :D

Gave it another go tonight. This time I used the chimney I bought and it go the embers freaking hot. They poured out of the chimney glowing red hot.

One thing though.......

Is this a normal amount of smoke cos Oh lord Jesus it's a fire!

I'm thinking maybe the weber is not giving enough oxygen to the fire with the lid on, choking it which is causing the smoke. The only vents on the bottom are those that open to let the soot out. And the vent in the lid.
Nath

Oh...My...God!

Post by Nath »

You should have the vents in the bottom and top all the way open when your starting out.
What were you cooking in that picture? It could be fat etc dripping directly on the fire causing that amount of smoke.
And no, I wouldn't say that's normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
knight76

Post by knight76 »

I had some snags and chicken wings on there then.

The vents in the bottom and top were fully open. The first cook there was no where near that much smoke, the coals were also not as hot. I guess it's possible the heat was extracting the fat from the sausages better causing the fat to drip on the "heated charcoal like stones" :lol: causing the smoke, the chicken wings were also marinated so this could have been adding to the issue I guess.

Can you cook with the lid off when cooking this style? Also, I guess I could build the coals up around the external of the weber, and cook the snags in the middle, more indirect cooking.

Just learning as I go, before I move on to steaks and other stuff.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

knight76 wrote:
YankQ wrote:I had no idea. My apologies to Buccaneer....however we were both right. He was right that there was no charcoal in the picture, but a picture of American briquettes would include charcoal.
They burn, I cook, I eat. :D

Gave it another go tonight. This time I used the chimney I bought and it go the embers freaking hot. They poured out of the chimney glowing red hot.

One thing though.......

Is this a normal amount of smoke cos Oh lord Jesus it's a fire!

I'm thinking maybe the weber is not giving enough oxygen to the fire with the lid on, choking it which is causing the smoke. The only vents on the bottom are those that open to let the soot out. And the vent in the lid.
Casey Jones would be mighty proud :lol: :lol:

Did you use a full chimney in that kettle? That is a compact is it not? way too much fuel dude!!
maybe half a chimney would be better...if you're not getting enough heat from those, prelight a dozen more and chuck em on top.

I like to use the kettle with the fire on one side of the bowl and the food on the other.....

Whatever you're cooking knight is gonna be blacker than the kettle.

Ain't it fun :lol: :lol:
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
knight76

Post by knight76 »

Davo wrote:Casey Jones would be mighty proud :lol: :lol:

Did you use a full chimney in that kettle? That is a compact is it not? way too much fuel dude!!
maybe half a chimney would be better...if you're not getting enough heat from those, prelight a dozen more and chuck em on top.

I like to use the kettle with the fire on one side of the bowl and the food on the other.....

Whatever you're cooking knight is gonna be blacker than the kettle.

Ain't it fun :lol: :lol:
I'm just letting it be known to the neighbors, man cooking is goin on!!

If you can't see my BBQ from space, I aint trying!

Ok, so note to self, less fuel dude. Reading online they said to have one layer of "burnable substance", which is what I aimed for here. I'll do half a chimney next time and try piling them to one side for more indirect cooking/smoke choking.

The kettle is a 47cm.

* Disclaimer: The food extracted from said bbq was in no way resembling the surface of said bbq. Indeed the bbq imparted a gently smoked flavor leaving the sausages and chicken wings totally edible if, (and this is putting my self critical hat on) a little over done. I also got in some great native American smoke signal practice.

The BBQ is strong with this one.