Oh...My...God!

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
urbangriller

Re: Oh...My...God!

Post by urbangriller »

Were the bottom vents open??

And was the food dripping fat onto the fire...coz that's what it looks like, dripping fat smoking off....not good for you! :shock:

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

Further to what the other guys have said, if you're doing cuts of meat, sear them over the pile, then move them away, and let the kettle work like an oven.

With smaller chicken pieces, I like to pile the coals up in the middle (or use 1 basket).
With the lid off, I put the chicken straight over the coals to start, to sear them a little and get colour, then I arrange them around the perimeter to roast with the lid on.

If it's a fatty item, like a sausage, I make sure I have the drip tray on the coal rack, and put them over the top.
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
knight76

Post by knight76 »

The bottom vents are just the vents used to extract the soot via the side lever, these were wide open, as were the vents in the lid.

I am guessing it was fat from the sausages, there were 12 sausages in there plus about 10 chicken wings also. Coals were single layer but covering the majority of the coal tray.

I might give it another go tomorrow and this time do half a chimney of the rocks and cook them more via indirect heat.

There was also some leftover soot in the bottom of the weber from the previous cook. Not blocking the vents though.

Just a question on steak timings, your average 300g scotch fillet cooked in it how long approx do you cook them both sides for medium? I used to cook them on my gas plate for 3-4 one side, and about 2 on the other or until done nicely.
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

I'm by no means the kettle guru but have been cooking on one for a lot of years, those bottom vents are not just there to extract the ash, a kettle works on airflow within the cavity, the heat of the fire makes air rise out of the top vents and thus draws air in the bottom (nature abhoring a vacuum an' all :) )

The learning that is the most subtle I think with a kettle is where you build your fire in relation to the bottom vent(s) and how you orient the lid for the position of the top vents.

It's just a case of a bit of thought depending upon what you are cooking and how.

Just as an example if cooking a simple roast I like to have the fire setup indirect on one side of the kettle just to the side of the bottom vents with the meat on the opposite side with the hood vents above it, then have the bottom vents almost closed but allowing a good stream of air, top vents pretty much full open at first, use to adjust the temp a bit later.

When I set my fire and add smoking wood in that config I get steady heat and a good stream of smoke over the meat for the first part of the cook then can adjust temp as needed with the top vents although in practice I really find my kettle is pretty much one adjustment and set and forget :)

Can't help with steaks, I have never gone the effort on the kettle, for which I could be banned, I just used to do them on a gas hotplate and now do them on the WeberQ :)

Cheers
chriso

Post by chriso »

The bottom vents are also used to get air in to feed the fire.
It'd be fat causing that smoke. I finish off chicken pieces or butterflied chicken over the coals with the lid down and it smokes a fair bit.
Jars

Post by Jars »

When I do steaks, I go the reverse sear method, here's a pretty decent video that explains it;

Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

Meh, mine smokes that much when I do fatty food like chicken thighs, especially if i've coated in olive oil too. That's grilled food init.
knight76

Post by knight76 »

I do realise the bottom vents are also for air, I meant the only vents there are those ones. I've seen a weber model with the same style vents as in the lid also.

The reverse seer looks interesting, never tried it myself as I don't have the electronic meat thermometer to tell me when they are at the right temp to transfer to the bbq.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Yes, early Kettles had rotating vents, then they went to the "One Touch" mechanism.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Well, to defend the honor of my country, there most certainly is charcoal in that picture. Briquettes are ground charcoal bound with corn starch (at their best). In conversation we call unprocessed charcoal "lump" and briquettes are "briquettes". A few might use the generic term "charcoal" to refer to briquettes, but they would be the newbies in the crowd. We would be just as suspicious of an Aussie that said "charcoal" when he meant "lump"
What you say is correct and no need to defend the honor of your countrymen.
Briquettes here in Australia are made with Brown or (mostly) Black Coal....so are different to the charcoal and sawdust varieties you have in the US.......we'd kill to get our hands on Kingsford here!

Cheers
Chris
I had no idea. My apologies to Buccaneer....however we were both right. He was right that there was no charcoal in the picture, but a picture of American briquettes would include charcoal.
No apology necessary, it is just a misunderstanding. I didn't know you were American and wanted to protect the language differences for communications sake.
Thanks Chris BTW
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
knight76

Post by knight76 »

Fired up the weber tonight for another round of snags. I think the fam might be getting over sausages for dinner lol.

I moved the heat beads to around the outside which worked better. The sausages came out nicely. Though I think next time I do it, I'll pile the beads up one end and cook down the other.
mb403

Post by mb403 »

I really love your perseverance!

I have a couple of webers and when i first cooked on one i didnt know anything. Apart from this forum and some others, i found youtube invaluable for actually looking at what iam supposed to do. Ie how to make a snake, arrange heat beads for indirect and direct cooking. Keep going mate! U'll be a pro in no time. I also know the feeling of family getting over sausages lol. As my cooking got better so did the family requests for a bbq.

OCAU.COM & AUSSIEPITMASTERS Forum Member
mb403

Oh...My...God!

Post by mb403 »

Take some photos of your heat beads etc next cook and im sure you'll get some great suggestions on what your doing rite and what could be done better :)

OCAU.COM & AUSSIEPITMASTERS Forum Member
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

knight76 wrote: I'll pile the beads up one end and cook down the other.
Now your on the right track :) Over tone side to sear, then to the other to cook.
knight76

Post by knight76 »

Lol MB403 - No point giving up, can't learn anything that way.

First time I cooked with probably a half chimney as I only had the few heat beads I got with the weber. The beads spread out in the middle. Also, I didn't have the chimney then so heat was a lot lower at the grates.

The second time I had a brand new bag of heat beads so filled u the new chimney lol. Enthusiasm! Toasted a few marshmallow over the fire starting to lick about the beads in the chimney. Beads covered the entire base wall to wall, one layer. Came out glowing red hot. Lucky the fire brigade wasn't called for this one hehehe.

Third time, half chimney as suggested, this time heat beads spread in a ring all around the outside. This worked better but due to having heat from all sides, and cooking about 12 snags, there was still snags overlapping the beads causing some smoke. Maybe I need a bigger weber :-)

Next time, half chimney, piled up one end cook them with lid on indirect heat, might even throw a few scotch fillet steaks over the beads then move em over to the indirect heat and see how they turn out. Timing will be the hard part as I am used to cooking them fairly quickly on the flat plate searing them well and getting them off the plate within 5 minute. Need to go and buy one of those leave in digital meat thermometers to get it sweet every time.

Either way, most likely Saturday I'll have had another go. Really enjoying cooking with semi real fire. Makes me want to grab some bricks and build a good old fashioned back yard BBQ, take the kids to the park and get em to run around picking up sticks for the BBQ like when I was a kid up at Black-butt reserve. The food off those BBQ's always had a beautiful burnt woody taste.