Akorn and Dragon General Discussion

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
burb

Re: Akorn and Dragon General Discussion

Post by burb »

Morning folks. Put my dragon together yesterday, washed the grills and lit some briquettes in it to season it. Looking to do a couple racks of spare ribs in it for tonight using the 3-2-1 method.

I've got an old pizza stone for a deflector I'm going to use but hoping someone could let me know best configuration and amount of heat beads (unfortunately I don't have lump) I should use as well as airflow settings for the cook? Have seen a few comments here about super high temps and I know the temp gauges in these things are no good.

Cheers in advance. :D
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

I had another go with my Dragon last night for just a simple BBQ of snags and burgers... I just lit it from the center, let it get going with bottom vent fully open and lid open, then shut the lid and closed the top vent down most of the way which made it settle around 230C and very little flame.
Anyway, I chucked the food on and cooked it all but my main issue was when I had the lid open to flip the food, the fire flared up significantly so flames were coming up through the grill. I tried shutting the bottom vent down to half to reduce the airflow while the lid was open but it didn't help... I think my tong hand and part of my forearm are bald now! haha

Is there a way to control/prevent this or do I just need to flip food faster?

[edit]
Also, I finished cooking at 8pm last night and shut the top and bottom vents to smother it... At 1:30pm today it's still sitting at 140C (lid temp) with all vents closed. I think I need to do some sealing before I use all my charcoal keeping the thing warm overnight :shock:
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

You should get in to the habit of 'burping' the lid before opening it fully. Just raise it a bit and close again. The. Raise it a bit again and wait a couple of seconds before opening fully. And not too fast. That should stop the fire flashing. It happens when you have a hot fire chocked down and starved of oxygen. A sudden rush of air causes the flash.
Jars

Post by Jars »

StoneX wrote:I had another go with my Dragon last night for just a simple BBQ of snags and burgers... I just lit it from the center, let it get going with bottom vent fully open and lid open, then shut the lid and closed the top vent down most of the way which made it settle around 230C and very little flame.
Anyway, I chucked the food on and cooked it all but my main issue was when I had the lid open to flip the food, the fire flared up significantly so flames were coming up through the grill. I tried shutting the bottom vent down to half to reduce the airflow while the lid was open but it didn't help... I think my tong hand and part of my forearm are bald now! haha

Is there a way to control/prevent this or do I just need to flip food faster?

[edit]
Also, I finished cooking at 8pm last night and shut the top and bottom vents to smother it... At 1:30pm today it's still sitting at 140C (lid temp) with all vents closed. I think I need to do some sealing before I use all my charcoal keeping the thing warm overnight :shock:
Were you cooking direct? Sounds like the flare ups may have been from the fat in the snags falling on the hot charcoal, which would explain why adjusting the vent wouldn't effect it.

Not sure what you could do to prevent it, maybe cook with a deflector in or something (Not a akorn/dragon owner so can't really help there)
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

Gumb wrote:You should get in to the habit of 'burping' the lid before opening it fully. Just raise it a bit and close again. The. Raise it a bit again and wait a couple of seconds before opening fully. And not too fast. That should stop the fire flashing. It happens when you have a hot fire chocked down and starved of oxygen. A sudden rush of air causes the flash.
I do burp it, I wasn't getting flashes. While flipping food the fire was getting more oxygen from the lid being open and the fire gradually increased until the point it was reaching higher than the food while I tried to flip it with tongs. Clearly I need longer tongs but I wasn't expecting the fire to increase so much while flipping food.
Jars wrote:Were you cooking direct? Sounds like the flare ups may have been from the fat in the snags falling on the hot charcoal, which would explain why adjusting the vent wouldn't effect it.

Not sure what you could do to prevent it, maybe cook with a deflector in or something (Not a akorn/dragon owner so can't really help there)
Yep, I was cooking direct as that's what instructions said to do to grill on it. There was fat dripping which helped the fire increase.

I think I might have had too much charcoal and when I opened the lid it helped light more charcoal up and increase the fire. I thought for a hotter fire I'd control it with the lid temp which worked fine until the lid was up! Next time I will try controlling with the bottom vent and limit the charcoal used.

22 hours after vents being shut down, it's still at 70C :o
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

If its 70 after 22 hrs you have a leak
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Do not limit the charcoal, it's not a kettle.....control the fire with the vents. fix the leak first, that's what is giving you a headache.

sausages are not the best in a Kamado....too much fat.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

Thanks for the help. I'll follow the instructions I saw previously to fix any leaks.

I was just doing fatty things to give the grill a coat of fat, it wont be a regular thing. I'd rather do good snags indirect anyway :)
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

By the way, I just wanted to let people know that you can use Heat Beads quite effectively in these things. When I ran out of charcoal and needed to do pizzas I got the temperature way up with only about 3/4 of a chimney of beads - it did perfect pizzas in a couple of minutes tops. Easy 300+ degrees C in there with the vents open (I didn't have the thermo in there at the same time but going off the normal error in the lid gauge). The ash collection system means it doesn't get clogged like a normal kamado would and the heat retention is off the scale.

Also did a chook on the weekend with a 280 degree oven with beads and it came out all golden with fantastic crispy skin and just a touch of black on the wing tips - perfect! I was never able to achieve such good results in a kettle.

I'll still be using charcoal in future (Redheads is probably my choice because decent lump is so exxy in Perth) but I'm happy to be able to throw beads in when I have to.
alimac23

Post by alimac23 »

Hey Fireplay, if you want some decent charcoal in Perth then contact Doug from BBQ's of the world, take a look at his website.

We used the gidgee for the smokin in the city Comp and I've still got a fair bit left at home, that stuff burns hot and lasts for ages, a bag easily does me 2-3 months, when I used to use heat beads on the kettle I would smash through them but lump on the kamado is so efficient my fuel bill has gone way down.
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

I 3/4 filled my dragon with gidgee and apple wood. held 225f for 22 hours then I shut her down. Wouldn't have even used half of it. Very efficient.
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

Just adding.

Using my maverick for the first time in the dragon, the dome temp gauge on mine is roughly 50-60c low. At 110 on the grill it's 45 or so on the dome gauge. Explains a few fast cooks.

I was using a probe on my grill but tested it with the maverick and it's a good 40-50 out anyway!
smokeman

Post by smokeman »

Ive done 8 tests on my dragon with my DigiQ probe at the grill, a stand alone thermo on the grill and the dome thermo consistantly my dome thermo reads 20c lower than the temp at the grill. not to bad i thought.
ImageImage
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

They will all be different, worth having a grill therm for a slow cook
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

aussieant32 wrote:Just adding.

Using my maverick for the first time in the dragon, the dome temp gauge on mine is roughly 50-60c low. At 110 on the grill it's 45 or so on the dome gauge. Explains a few fast cooks.

I was using a probe on my grill but tested it with the maverick and it's a good 40-50 out anyway!
Glad you found the issue, things like this can have you chasing your tail for ages.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi