Can I get gidgee charcoal in Adelaide?

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Fraze

Can I get gidgee charcoal in Adelaide?

Post by Fraze »

Hey All,

I'm seeking some local knowledge on where to get decent lump charcoal, preferably gidgee charcoal in Adelaide?

I've moved back to Adelaide after living in Brisbane for 2 years where I purchased my kamado joe. In Brisbane I used gidgee charcoal which was $20 per 20kg bag from bbq king. Great value and good product overall.

In Adelaide I can only find mallee charcoal which burns cooler and leaves a lot of brown-black soot in the kamoado (much more than other charcoals). More importantly, the mallee charcoal leaves a brown-black colour on my ribs instead of a nice reddish finish.

Gidgee charcoal just seems to burn cleaner and hotter and doesn't leave behind half burnt lumps as much

If anyone can recommend any reasonably priced alternatives in Adelaide it would be much appreciated.
beaver

Re: Can I get gidgee charcoal in Adelaide?

Post by beaver »

have a chat to dave from grillpro, im pretty sure he has a pellet of the stuff
sbm888

Post by sbm888 »

I'm also interested in this - I've been using Mallee for years, but want to try something else. everywhere in Adelaide seems to sell only Mallee.
Giddyup

Post by Giddyup »

Never had that problem in my kamado.

I've used Gaganis before, it had lots of different sized chunks, but worked perfectly.

Never really liked gidgee. It gave of smoke and made a huge amount of ash.
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Yes Mate.

The Meat Market on South Road at Edwardstown

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Bear

Post by Bear »

It'd be interesting to try it after hearing the reviews, Dave, what price is it?
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
Grill Pro Australia

Re:

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Bear wrote:It'd be interesting to try it after hearing the reviews, Dave, what price is it?
Im not sure Mate, sorry.

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

It should be around $30-$35 for 20KG
Fraze

Post by Fraze »

Unfortunately the meat market don't sell gidgee charcoal guys. I'll keep looking around.
Any other alternatives that anyone can recommend?
quacker

Post by quacker »

Hey everyone, I haven't posted on this forum for a long time. Anyway, I too have been finding the same issue with using the local Mallee charcoal as others here. Black soot and a not as pleasant taste as I would like in my BGE.. using this charcoal in the Weber open grill style works way better.
Would love to know of other charcoal types in SA and where to buy?

**edit - Just learnt how to use the search again, plenty of info posted..**
quacker

Post by quacker »

Finally found a bag of Charcoala charcoal, not sure of the type of charcoal but the 20kg bag had much more consistent lump size, no clay etc.. Seems to burn very clean, I could really smell the Apple wood smoke this time, instead of the Mallee smell.. Very happy.