Type of charcoal for low and slow vs. high temp cooking.

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Gumb

Re: Type of charcoal for low and slow vs. high temp cooking.

Post by Gumb » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:01 pm

I use it too and have never had it go out. Maybe too many small bits blocking the air flow or too many large bits not catching alight ? I tend to break up the big bits and push the really small stuff to the sides or take it out. Lots of nice medium size chucks in the middle (sat about heat bead size) with good gaps for the air to flow in from underneath, some smaller bits on top to light quickly and you should be good to go.

WarmBeer

Post by WarmBeer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:39 pm

It definitely burns differently to the stuff I have been using previously. I've done maybe 20 cooks so far in the Dragon, so I think my processes are consistent.

Got it up to a nice mound of coals going in the middle of my pyramid, probe was reading 90 deg C, then I shut the vents down to around 1 and 1, which would normally level out around 120 - 140 deg C. Just seemed to choke the fire straight out within 10 mins.

I'm about to fire it up again to do pizzas tonight, might have a little play with the vents whilst enjoying a couple of Ambers in the afternoon sun.
Dragon Kamado | Weber OTS | Hark (Aldi) Smoker | Rusty Gasser

Gumb

Post by Gumb » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:55 pm

WarmBeer wrote: in the afternoon sun.

What's that ? :roll:

(This is the worst Melbourne winter I can remember in a long time.)
Last edited by Gumb on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yakabot

Post by yakabot » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:04 pm

I'm with the others having trouble with redgum charcoal staying alight. Once going, yes it seemed damned hot, but I also could never really keep it going and all burn up.

WarmBeer

Post by WarmBeer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:30 pm

Yup, hot, damn hot.

I broke 2 pizza stones this afternoon, due to the heat of the redgum lump. Both of these have been previously seasoned, and I've probably done 10 or so pizza sessions in my Dragon, so know how to drive it pretty well.

I'm beginning to think redgum charcoal and me are just destined not to be friends.

Could be fortuitous for somebody out there...

If anybody wants the remaining 22.5 kilos left in the bag, it's yours for $20.
Dragon Kamado | Weber OTS | Hark (Aldi) Smoker | Rusty Gasser