First Roast in the Weber Performer

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
MrBBQ

Post by MrBBQ »

Ok so after a learning curve on my test cook, some great advice from here and a bit more reading I did my first roast last night.
Picked up some heatbeads, a chimney starter, those cardboard starters and was going a short time later.

Heatbeads compared to the Lokkii briquettes held temp at 230-240 for a considerable amount of time. I would have got a quarter time from the Lokkii's and didn't get past 210.

Read up on the hams in the Weber book and got going(books brilliant).
A while later it was time to baste the orange glaze, re-baste and then chucked on some hickory for the last 20 minute finish.

Plated up well and the taste was nothing like we have had before.

Having been given the pizza stone yesterday will be doing a pizza using last nights smokey ham on there. Cant wait! :mrgreen:

Many thanks to those lending a hand in my initial Welcome thread.
Burnt offerings

Re: First Roast in the Weber Performer

Post by Burnt offerings »

Great work, looks the goods.
GMG Daniel Boon WiFi, Weber OTG, ProQ Excel 20, small generic kettle, other BBQ stuff.
I like BBQ stuff!
2014 Commonwealth Games Gold medal winner!
World shooting Champion.
5 time Olympian.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Yep...the classic Weber Ham! Good job!!!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Excellent work MrB, and thanks for posting. That is one of my all time favorite recipes. As a tip, smoke will only penetrate the meat until the outside seals so it's best to get it in there early in the cook rather than towards the end. Congrats on a successful cook though, the troops must have been pleased and would be pinning a BBQ star on you. :D The left overs in a sandwich the next day are to die for !

there's so much you can do with a kettle and you are well away on the path to exploring it all.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

That looks great MrBBQ. Yum!
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Freakin excellent MrBBQ. Others would have asked questions like you did, figured it was all too hard and complicated and just fired up the 4 burner gasser. So glad asked, listened, tried, and look at the results now.
There's a problem though.
Your family and friends will now expect no less than what you've done.
:mrgreen:
MrBBQ

Post by MrBBQ »

Gumb wrote:Excellent work MrB, and thanks for posting. That is one of my all time favorite recipes. As a tip, smoke will only penetrate the meat until the outside seals so it's best to get it in there early in the cook rather than towards the end. Congrats on a successful cook though, the troops must have been pleased and would be pinning a BBQ star on you. :D The left overs in a sandwich the next day are to die for !

there's so much you can do with a kettle and you are well away on the path to exploring it all.
Cheers Gumb, yeah everyone was stoked, including myself. Cant wait to finish the ham and make it again
yakabot wrote:Freakin excellent MrBBQ. Others would have asked questions like you did, figured it was all too hard and complicated and just fired up the 4 burner gasser. So glad asked, listened, tried, and look at the results now.
There's a problem though.
Your family and friends will now expect no less than what you've done.
:mrgreen:
Yeah the learning curves part of the fun. Too right about the expectations lol

First go at using the pizza stone next day was a bit of a 180. Put a beauty together on the stone, took it off the BB and it was completely stuck to it. Topping tasted great though lol
Any tips for removing the base from the stone? It seems to have become one with it :mrgreen:
I am hesitant to soak it thinking it could weaken and crack it...
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

Plenty of flower on your pizza stone, or better yet, a splrinkle of polenta or semolina.

Don't wash/soak your stone - just scrape things off. The more gnarly it looks, the better.

You also want to make sure it heats up before you put anything on it.
74fpv

Post by 74fpv »

Man that ham looks Devine !!!
In regards to the pizza, I use baking paper between stone and pizza. Plus the stone is already in the bbq at temp. Still get that "perfect" bite to the base.
Cheers Jason.
NEW Website: www.kamadolife.com

Kamado Joe Classic - what a beast
My blog - trying to keep a track of my cooks and spread the word of BBQ