Fire Lighters

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
alimac23

Fire Lighters

Post by alimac23 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:16 am

Hi All,

I currently use 1/2 of a fire lighter to get my Akorn started, it works well and only lights a small amount of lump charcoal but all the ones I have tried smell really bad when they light.

I have seen that Samba so a natural firelighter that it claims is odourless, does anyone know where in Perth NOR I can get hold of these, or indeed any other brand of odourless firelighter?

Muppet

Re: Fire Lighters

Post by Muppet » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:37 am

My local bunnies sell the samba brand.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi

Gumb

Post by Gumb » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:29 pm

yep, Bunnings stock them and they are very good and cheap. Chuck a couple in. I only use Samba brand if I'm starting with fire lighters but i also use an electric fork type charcoal lighter (from Smoke King BBQS - about $20) which is really good and lets me work with the food while it gets the charcoal going. There are also looft lighters or Hot Devil gas wands etc. If you need to get the fire going quicker after using the Samba lighters, blow it with an old hair dryer and watch it go !

peteru

Post by peteru » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:31 pm

Looftlighter! The best accessory to go with the Akorn. Bunnings sold Looftlighters for around $45-$50. Clean and quick and you get complete control over how much fuel you ignite and the precise location.

Gumb

Post by Gumb » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:40 pm

peteru wrote:Looftlighter! The best accessory to go with the Akorn. Bunnings sold Looftlighters for around $45-$50. Clean and quick and you get complete control over how much fuel you ignite and the precise location.
The downside to them (and the gas torch) in my view is that you have to stand there and hold it.

peteru

Post by peteru » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Gumb wrote:
peteru wrote:Looftlighter! The best accessory to go with the Akorn. Bunnings sold Looftlighters for around $45-$50. Clean and quick and you get complete control over how much fuel you ignite and the precise location.
The downside to them (and the gas torch) in my view is that you have to stand there and hold it.
For about 30 seconds, if all you want is the same effect as a solid fuel / chemical lighter would have. You'll need about 2-3 minutes if you want to build a large roaring fire.

yakabot

Post by yakabot » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:05 pm

But you can't get a looftlighter at the moment. (Recalled/on hold). Not sure of the akorn setup, as in access to the charcoal, but perhaps a heat gun?

alimac23

Post by alimac23 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:11 pm

Thanks Guys!

I've just confirmed with the local bunnies that they have got some samba natural in stock.

I'll check out the looft lighters when they are back in stock, anything to cut down startup time is good.

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:44 pm

A paint stripper gun will work as a looftlighter, it'll last 6 months or so, maybe more for $20...if it dies just take it back.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

Card Shark

Re:

Post by Card Shark » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:49 pm

yakabot wrote:But you can't get a looftlighter at the moment. (Recalled/on hold).
Sure you can. My local Bunnies has them 1/2 price as they are moving locations.
Last edited by Card Shark on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magste

Post by magste » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:50 pm

I've used a Ozxxx whatever the brand name is at Bunnings cheap paint stripper/heat gun for 3 years or so without issues.
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle

Card Shark

Post by Card Shark » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:22 pm

Gumb wrote:
You forgot finishing the cook Gumb. Probably the loofts / paint stripper guns most helpful use of all.

Narmnaleg

Re:

Post by Narmnaleg » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:30 pm

magste wrote:I've used a Ozxxx whatever the brand name is at Bunnings cheap paint stripper/heat gun for 3 years or so without issues.
Yep, after my second looft died I went back to using a heat gun. That was about 2 years ago and it's still going strong. I paid $20 for it at the time.

Gumb

Post by Gumb » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:30 pm

Card Shark wrote:
Gumb wrote:
You forgot finishing the cook Gumb. Probably the loofts / paint stripper guns most helpful use of all.
Yeah, I've heard that and seen results on here but never used any in that way. Maybe my electric fork could put nice sear marks on the steak ? :)

Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:55 pm

Old wine corks make reasonable fire starters.
chilling while grilling