Jumbo Joe, discussion with Weber

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
pierre

Post by pierre »

Like many, my perfect kettle would a Jumbo Joe, unfortunately not easily available on the aussie market. I want to inform the other members about my enquiry about it with Weber USA and Australia. My first step was going on the Weber Facebook page and asking why the Jumbo Joe was not on sale in Australia, this is the answer I have had from Weber:
"Thanks for your enquiry, we have passed it along to the Australian CS team. Someone will be reaching out to you soon. Thank you!"
Then I have received an email from the so called Australian CS team, this is the conversation:

"Thanks for your enquiry!Unfortunately the market at present doesn’t demand the Jumbo Joe, however, I will pass on your enthusiasm for the model to management.What do you use / want to use your bbq for mainly? Camping etc? perhaps we have a similar model that would suit your needs."

Me:

"Your answer disappoints me, since it would be enough to take a look at the http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=14 to understand how much the market and aussie grillers want the Jumbo Joe. Some have to spend a fortune to import it from USA with every kind of tricks since Amazon does not ship that kind of equipment to our country. The other products available in Australia don't suit me, they are too small or too big, so I'll just look elsewhere at the moment. I will inform the american part of the content of your answer. I would like the management to contact me so I can inform them directly about the market demand, thank you. Pierre."

Then the manager wrote to me:

"Thank you for your feedback below to both Weber USA and Lorna about the accessibility of the Jumbo Joe.
I understand that there is a strong group of enthusiasts who would like to have a broader offering in Australia from the Weber charcoal range.
With Weber it isn’t just about numbers Pierre, it also about the ability to maintain spare parts for the life of the barbecue, ensuring they do not sit around in the warehouses gathering dust and their compatibility/cook ability with Australian fuels etc.
We also know that things and trends change, so we are in the process of reviewing range additions for the new season in 2015/2016, and our thoughts are, that there are some good opportunities to fine tune the Australian charcoal/speciality charcoal offer. Whilst I make no promises at this time, I can assure you that the Jumbo Joe will certainly be under consideration.
Thanks again for taking the time to share your feedback"

Finally I have reported this conversation to Weber USA too this is their final answer:

"Thank you for keeping us posted. We are sorry to hear you are disappointed and we appreciate your excitement for the Jumbo Joe. We do try hard to follow the different trends and needs in each market and do our best to accommodate. We are positive your request will be passed on to management for review. Thank you for your interest!".

So, if someone is wishing to have a Jumbo Joe in their backyard don't leave me alone in this pursuit, let's all together bury them with emails and requests on their facebook page. Thanks guys.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Jumbo Joe, discussion with Weber

Post by Davo »

Great job getting them stirred up....i wish you included the 22 inch WSM to the products most desired here.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
pierre

Post by pierre »

I have actually asked about the compact chimney, since the regular ones are to large for my needs, they did not say anything about it. I have also asked them to let us buy directly from weber Usa or Amazon, since if they decide to sell the JJ in Oz it will be overpriced anyway.
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Have you thought about a 2nd hand one? I've had three that I've picked up for under $50. They were available in OZ through the 90's
You could also mod up a 47cm kettle as its the same size as a JJ and probably more versatile
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
pierre

Post by pierre »

Hogsy wrote:Have you thought about a 2nd hand one? I've had three that I've picked up for under $50. They were available in OZ through the 90's
You could also mod up a 47cm kettle as its the same size as a JJ and probably more versatile

I have read before about the 47 cm kettle on this forum, but I have never seen one around, what is it exactly, I thought the kettles available, from kmart to weber, were all 57cm, can you help me out to understand?

About Gumtree, being in Adelaide there is not much on offer there
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

S.A. Is like the Mecca of kettles!!!
It's where Weber OZ HQ is and were weber began selling kettles
The easiest way to tell a 47 from a 57cm kettle is the lid vent is next to the handle not at the end of the handle
Like this
Keep your eye out, I'm sure it won't take long for one to pop up
Or there is a guy from Parafield Gardens on gumtree who is always selling kettles, give him a call and tell him what your after
pierre

Post by pierre »

Hogsy wrote:S.A. Is like the Mecca of kettles!!!
It's where Weber OZ HQ is and were weber began selling kettles
The easiest way to tell a 47 from a 57cm kettle is the lid vent is next to the handle not at the end of the handle
Like this
Keep your eye out, I'm sure it won't take long for one to pop up
Or there is a guy from Parafield Gardens on gumtree who is always selling kettles, give him a call and tell him what your after
I'll keep my eyes open thank you, I always wondered where that Parafield guy finds all those kettles...
Bill44

Post by Bill44 »

Weber want's to be careful as there are Chinese made kettles etc creeping into the market here, if there is a demand someone will fill it.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

the jumbo joe or was it the smokey joe..??.. , i think inspired the "big boy" bbq, that pommy supermarket chef was pushing last year for 150.00.

then crashed out of the zone, i picked one up for 10.00 just after chrisy, fun little kettle.

good luck with your quest.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
Romulus

Post by Romulus »

I just bought one from the U.S.

Unfortunately, as with most of these products, the freight cost more than the item.

I would have preferred to buy it here in Australia, but as someone else here once lamented, " If you don't have it, I can't buy it from you ".

If they have a container or two, coming over here from the U.S. every year anyway, I don't see why it would be so hard for them to implement a custom order scheme where customers could place a request with the Oz representative for a particular product in their range ( even if it meant paying for it in advance ).
Much the same as going to the Special Orders counter at Bunnings for something.

The reply they gave to my letter was "The moment we import one or two, we would have to back them with Spare Parts and Warranty".

Seriously ?

The only perishable part is the nickle-plated grill, and they always rust out even on the larger kettles anyway. :roll:

If it came to that, I wouldn't mind if I also had to custom order a Spare Part for an unsupported product.
Image Image
Emo

Post by Emo »

Davo wrote:Great job getting them stirred up....i wish you included the 22 inch WSM to the products most desired here.

Cheers

Davo
I heard a whisper from someone in the know that the 22 inch WSM will be available soon from Weber Aus
Weber Kettle-BLACK
Weber 4 burner-BLACK
Weber Smokey Mountain-BLACK
Weber Go Anywhere-BLACK
Weber Q200...not BLACK
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Emo wrote:
Davo wrote:Great job getting them stirred up....i wish you included the 22 inch WSM to the products most desired here.

Cheers

Davo
that'd be awesome emo.....hope your source is correct.

i'd definately get one of those if the price is right.

cheers

Davo

I heard a whisper from someone in the know that the 22 inch WSM will be available soon from Weber Aus
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
pierre

Post by pierre »

It looks like it is possible to buy one "free shipping Australia Wide" at $177 from USA supplier, but it's still double thee Amazon price and probably not covered by Weber Australia warranty, it was just a Google search if you are interested but I am sure you guys already knew.
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Emo wrote: I heard a whisper from someone in the know that the 22 inch WSM will be available soon from Weber Aus
That's good news, hopefully they bring the 14 WSM out too. I think they'd sell a heap of them at the right price point
greeny03

Post by greeny03 »

^ Yep!! I reckon the 14WSM would sell very well indeed!!