Jumbo Joe, discussion with Weber

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Bear

Post by Bear »

Many Aussies have you (and other feedback providers) to thank for these inclusions to Weber's products.

Well done Pierre.
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
HeatnSmoke

Re: Jumbo Joe, discussion with Weber

Post by HeatnSmoke »

Many thanks Pierre.

Because of your efforts I was able to buy a JJ last month from BBQ Plus!
OldGal

Post by OldGal »

I had a Weber kettle in the 90's and loved it. I need/want a new barbecue and have decided on a Weber kettle again. I am leaning toward the Jumbo Joe for a few practical reasons. I will only be cooking for one or two, so don't really want to be fireing up a full size kettle for a couple sausages or small roast.I also don't have a shed or garage to store a kettle and not sure a cover would offer enough year round protection long term, whereas the Jumbo could be stored in my laundry easily. My question is...... will I still be able to do small roasts, pizza...all the things a larger kettle can do, just on a smaller scale? Is the JJ as efficient, will I get the same results as the larger kettle? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
HeatnSmoke

Post by HeatnSmoke »

Yes JJ does everything a full size kettle can do but on a smaller scale. Full size kettle has a 57cm food grate and the JJ has a 47cm grate which is also the same diameter as the Weber Smokey Mountain.
OldGal

Post by OldGal »

HeatnSmoke wrote:Yes JJ does everything a full size kettle can do but on a smaller scale. Full size kettle has a 57cm food grate and the JJ has a 47cm grate which is also the same diameter as the Weber Smokey Mountain.
Thank you very much. I will get the JJ. Looking forward to enjoying great food cooked 9n it.
Old Dave

Post by Old Dave »

For the folks interested in the Weber Jumbo Joe, you can find quite a bit of information on my web site on this wonderful little cooker.

Weber Jumbo Joe Review: http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/sea ... e%20Review

And this is the start of 14 cooks on the Weber Jumbo Joe:

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/sea ... umbo%20Joe

Dave
USA / Indiana
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs BBQ Team
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com
HeatnSmoke

Post by HeatnSmoke »

Great stuff on your site Dave! It would inspires me to try different things on my JJ!
OldGal

Post by OldGal »

Old Dave wrote:For the folks interested in the Weber Jumbo Joe, you can find quite a bit of information on my web site on this wonderful little cooker.

Weber Jumbo Joe Review: http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/sea ... e%20Review

And this is the start of 14 cooks on the Weber Jumbo Joe:

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/sea ... umbo%20Joe

Dave
USA / Indiana
Thanks so much Dave, lots of very useful information. Can't wait to get my JJ now.
DAK

Post by DAK »

I did the same thing, got much the same reply....

I ended up buying one from an online seller over eBay. It was brand new.

They are awesome as a portable option. I've done burgers for 20 People at a Picnic on it before.

Keep an eye out on eBay.
OldGal

Post by OldGal »

Thanks to everyone for the great tips, advice and links. Unfortunately I live in a country area and not likely to find a weber available on ebay, gumtree or other. I also don't know anyone (who I trust enough) to drill a hole for me and fit a thermometer into a JJ :( . So I am going back to plan "a" and will buy a premium kettle this week. Looking forward to many years of wonderful food.
Kiwikeg

Post by Kiwikeg »

I bought a new jumbo joe yesterday from Mitre 10 Mega
(The alternative to Bunnings in New Zealand)
Cooked up a excellent meal of pork apple snags and some beef backstraps last night.
But this morning i noticed there is a sharp edge on the underside of the top vent disc that gouges the porcelin coating on the lid as you close/open the vents
Easy fix was to unscrew it again and sandpaper the rough edges off.
Was torn between buying the smokey joe and the jumbo after first use i am glad i went for the jumbo joe.