Getting back to basics with the Weber kettle

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Hiya folks,

over the years of using the Weber kettle and learning many new ways to place my coals and getting pretty good results, I thought I'd go back to basics last Sunday and followed the Complete Australian Kettle Cook book that is sold with every brand new Weber kettle here in Australia by the late Ross McDonald & Margaret Kirkwood
https://www.masters.com.au/product/1002 ... ID=kwzoz5n

Now this cook book which has often been upgraded with new recipes and ideas during each new reprint edition has been around since 1988 but has all the information you'll ever need to get the best out of your Weber Kettle. It goes through all the set ups of kettles that have been available throughout the years, how many heatbeads you'll need for different temp cooks and direct and indirect cooking.

If you follow this book, you should be able to get first class results all the time.

So, Last Sunday, 31st August '14 I set about doing a pork roast with crackling using the very same techniques on page 77 of leg of crackling pork but only the weight and time of the cook was different but the result pretty much the same. I just used my ol weber remote probe device to let me know when it got up to 72C.

So I placed 32 beads on each sides in the baskets, placed a pan (i put some water in pan at first just so any fats won't splatter when they hit the hot foil pan) in between the coal baskets, placed the pork leg roast in centre, closed lid with all vents open and let the kettle do it's thing.

The end result being

So of all the advance techniques than you can use with the Kettle, you can't go wrong with the basic tried and true method for which it was originally designed.

if you got this book...go try a basic recipe following exact to the directions and see how great it turns out...this book is a gem me thinks!!

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5

edgy

Re: Getting back to basics with the Weber kettle

Post by edgy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:15 pm

Looks bloody delicious mate ^^

And yes, variety is the spice of life!
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra

overspiceddave

Post by overspiceddave » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:53 pm

Whilst i'm not that fussed with the most of the recipes in there the instructions on how to do the everyday stuff are perfect.

You simply cannot bugger up crackling with their method. Although yours looks better than great Davo

Dave

chrisg

Post by chrisg » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:10 pm

;)

I wonder how many recall that without that book I seriously doubt Weber would have become the success here that they are ?

I was given my first kettle maybe 26 or so years ago, along with a copy of the book, my dad loved his but the first thing he said was to read the part on how to light a kettle :)

I've met, and had before, so many people who did not know how and had just given up :)

I don't remember if the kettle instructions were rubbish, probably never read them anyway, RTFM is advice rarely heeded.

But the book with it's pics and clear instructions made it all so easy.

I don't bother with many of the recipes either but it's still on my shelf, I do recall being a bit skeptical of the Yorkshire pudding sub-recipe, having been making them for decades but it works, so does every recipe I've ever tried from the book.

Cheers

Gumb

Post by Gumb » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:32 pm

Weber kettles and roast pork.....what a combo! Nice work chief. I use the same method of doing the veggies direct on the grill, much better than in a foil tray.

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:49 pm

I tend to think that foil trays hinder the convection ability of the kettle because the hot cooking air isn't properly circulating round the veggies. Having veggies on the grate so that they can be evenly cooked is much better.

I tried the veggies in the pan in the closed kettle a couple of weeks ago but wasn't happy with the results so I toik them out of the foil pan straight on the grate.....much better.

That crackling on the pork was to die for.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:08 pm

Davo that pork crackling is benchmark quality! Awesome work!

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:36 pm

Thanks Narm but I had to fight the Mrs for it.....but I think she pinched another 20% when I went back outside to tend the veggies :shock:
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:45 pm

Davo wrote:Thanks Narm but I had to fight the Mrs for it.....but I think she pinched another 20% when I went back outside to tend the veggies :shock:
:) as far as I'm concerned you asked for it by leaving it unattended... I would have taxed more than 20% and blamed a dog that came out of nowhere ;)

Stubby

Post by Stubby » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:30 pm

I have had my weber kettle for over 30 years and last Sunday gave it a quick clean up and produced the best roast pork with excellent crackling, doing it as the book says. Got great comments from all who enjoyed the meal. Enjoyed the leftovers for a couple of days after as well.
Stubby.

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:05 am

Stubby wrote:I have had my weber kettle for over 30 years and last Sunday gave it a quick clean up and produced the best roast pork with excellent crackling, doing it as the book says. Got great comments from all who enjoyed the meal. Enjoyed the leftovers for a couple of days after as well.
Stubby.
Great stuff Stubby, and while theres a lot of things that can be achieved in the Kettle, it'll always be the ROASTS in which they excel.

The meat is so moist and tender, the crusts or cracklings so crunchy ......

I may well re-visit the Complete Australian Kettle cookbook a lot more and perhaps get back to some basics.....I think sometimes we over complicate the art of Aussie BBQ.

cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:28 am

Davo wrote:
Great stuff Stubby, and while theres a lot of things that can be achieved in the Kettle, it'll always be the ROASTS in which they excel.

cheers

Davo
Actually, if you understand how to drive it, there is Nothing you can't cook on a Kettle!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:53 pm

urbangriller wrote:
Davo wrote:

cheers

Davo
Actually, if you understand how to drive it, there is Nothing you can't cook on a Kettle!

Chris
Yeah Chris, that's pretty much it......you only had to see how Golly used his Kettles to win at Port McQuarie in March, he had those kettle singin' to his tune.....I know how to use em but guys like Golly would run rings around me big time.

And that's why I made an emphasis on the book that comes with each new Kettle....the amount of recipes, tried and proven by the 2 Author's are mind boggling.

That is why I try so hard to get people who want something different to a Gasser, to buy a kettle and learn from it....those skills will be carried towards any other outdoor cooker once they get a handle on it. Even things like going from heatbeads to lump charcoal is new learned skill and one that I personally have yet to master.

My goal this coming summer is to cook more fish on my Weber Performer kettle 8)

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5

Stubby

Post by Stubby » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:04 pm

We were so impressed with last Sunday's pork, I have another piece of pork in it at the moment. I recently won the 'twin roast pack' at my local watering hole, so tonight's dinner is for my father-in-law's father's day. It was good luck that it was pork, our favourite!! I have a very good outdoor kitchen setup now, so tend to forget about how good the kettle is.
Stubby.

kiwiman

Post by kiwiman » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Davo,

Thanks for the inspiration, pulled out the kettle which i haven't used for years, attached new handles,cleaned and fired it up. Was a bit hot but not bad for a first attempt after a few years.
Have found it very difficult to get decent crackle on Kamado or Weber Q.

Stewart

Image]Royal Kamado, Weber Q100e, Multikai Cooker, U-Bute portable, Auspit Rotisserie with firedish, Char-Griller , Italian portable charcoal grill, Weber One Touch Platinum, Dragon Hibachi.Weber Jumbo Joe, GMG Daniel Boone on loan