Dragon Hibachi from Smoke Kings!

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
edgy

Post by edgy »

Hey folks,

I took Gary up on his Bangalow special for the hibachi grills and Gary delivered, I only got to use it this week as its the first opportunity I've been home long enough to do so.

So I opted for the Dragon Hibachi, it is the largest of the rectangular grills.

Whats in the box?

Gary supplied mine with the heavier gauge wire grill

I was very impressed at how well packaged the grill is, I was a little concerned putting it on the pallet with the rest of my stuff from Bangalow but no dramas!

The Dragon includes some little tongs and a tabletop stand. (the table top stand is handy as well for moving the grill while it is hot)

I ran some gidgee in mine for the first burn in and cook!

So you have to christen every new grill with a nice drop, it should be a law.

For the first cook I cubed out some beef scotch and simply seasoned with oil & salt, sliced some chorizo thin and then whipped up an asian style lemongrass marinade for the prawns, pork and chicken. I also made up a Korean spring onion salad to go with.

this thing belts out some heat

Now you have the option to go dual temp zones with the dragon which is a real nice feature and its got a damper for each zone, but I just ran the whole thing full pelt, it was cold out and there was only two of us.

We were very happy with all the food that came off dragon, its a fantastic way to dine at home, very sociable, we use to go out for our korean and japanese bbq but I'd say now those days are numbered. It generates great hi heat for searing off steak, I thoroughly enjoyed the pork scotch too as the marinade and fat was nice and caramelised, my mrs loved the chicken.

All in all, for what you will pay for the Dragon Hibachi it represents great value and in my opinion it is one hell of a deal!

I could have gone into a super detailed & super analytical review but then its just paralysis by analysis to do so and I feel that the price point doesn't need you to be thinking twice, so if your on the fence about it, get off and contact Gary, he's a super cool dude to deal with too and a genuine nice guy in our industry, its great to have such a diverse range of vendors participate in our community.

I'm sure if you are able to get to one of the next competitions Gary will gladly throw some stuff on the Hibachi for you to sample.
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
Smokey

Re: Dragon Hibachi from Smoke Kings!

Post by Smokey »

is there a difference between this and a weber go anywhere?
The only thing that holds me back is that I've already got a GA
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
edgy

Post by edgy »

Smokey Mick wrote:is there a difference between this and a weber go anywhere?
The only thing that holds me back is that I've already got a GA

Get both! :lol:

Being of a ceramic construction, I wouldn't want to risk taking this thing everywhere in fear of cracking it my luck isn't good like that!

The Go anywhere is hooded too, so IMO they are two different grills.
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Good info there. When there are only 2 of you (like us here), get some foil and double layer it, then push it down in to the spare charcoal pit (only using one to cook). Make a foil lid and it becomes a great place to keep the cooked stuff hot.

We've had a great night with several friends around grilling away on both sides too. I love doing scallops and prawns, or cubes of good beef.
beermee

Post by beermee »

Thanks for the nice little writeup edgy. Glad you're enjoying your new hibachi! Some pretty tasty looking food there.

And yes - we'll always bring a Hibachi or 2 to any future comps - they are great social way for a few teams to sample some great meat and have a beer or 2 around. Some of us find they are pretty toasty spot to sleep near too... (won't mention any names here)!!

Smokey Mick - the main difference to the GA is that the hibachi is designed to be a little 'cook as you eat' table top grill - and it really excels at exactly that producing awesome char grilled morsels of food! It's small enough to cook comfortably at the table. I see the GA moreso as a compact/portable roasting/grilling kettle - not specifically designed as a 'cook as you eat' table top grill. I know that it can do that 'cook as you eat' job, but it's probably a little bit cumbersome doing that compared to the Dragon. On the flipside, obviously the Hibachi doesn't have the versatility of the GA - it can't do other things that the GA can do - roasting, smoking, etc.

Great tip Gumb - the heat radiating out of the other chamber will keep the food in the foil pouch warm.

Lately we've been bringing out the marshmallows and skewers for the kids to toast up on the Hibachi coals for dessert after the main meal is done...

Regards,
Gary
Note that: Gary is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: 'SmokeKingBBQs' (as a vendor) and 'beermee' (as a personal account)

Frank62

Post by Frank62 »

I couldn't find this Hibachi grill in the Smoke Kings BBQ store. I contacted them and was told they don't sell this rectangular one anymore. I did ask why, but never got a response. Strangely enough they still sell the heavy duty 3mm stainless steel cooking grill for this model.

They have the circular "Volcano" which I am not too keen on. I decided to search for other examples of a ceramic hibachi grill and came across this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-JAPANESE ... 5694329cfd

and

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-detail ... 1137663235

Both sites are owned by the same mob (Trend Living Comfort). Apart from some Japanese (?) writing on the side of the grill the unit looks identical to what Smoke King BBQs had previously sold. Including the green tongs.

Is anyone able to confirm if these units are the same as the one being reviewed by the OP?

Regards
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Smoke Kings used to sell Kamado and Hibachis that were made by Auplex.

http://www.auplex.com/Grill/productlist.asp?c1=11

The ebay link looks like an Auplex hibachi like the one Smoke Kings used to sell.

I have one. They're good and fun to use.
Frank62

Post by Frank62 »

12x7 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:10 pm Smoke Kings used to sell Kamado and Hibachis that were made by Auplex.

http://www.auplex.com/Grill/productlist.asp?c1=11

The ebay link looks like an Auplex hibachi like the one Smoke Kings used to sell.

I have one. They're good and fun to use.
Thanks. They look quick and easy for a small cook for 1 or 2 people. Think I'll just go ahead and buy one.