About to pull the trigger on a Kamado Joe

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
deigs

Post by deigs »

Hi guys, I live in a remote town and there is a BBQ Galore place that can get in a Kamado Joe for me. I'm pumped and keen to get some slow and low BBQ skills, and smash out some high temp pizza's. I've been studying some of your cooks and posts but have a few questions.

I cook for 4 normally, but have some larger parties and big pizza cooks with friends. Should I get a Classic, or a Big Joe?

What are some "must get" accessories? I've heard of guys using some sort of digital temp fan control to keep a consistent cook temp. Is it just rubbish, and easier to just play with the doors?

I'm from the heathen gas BBQ world and just cooked rissoles, sausages and steaks my whole life. Time to learn and shake this up.

Thanks guys.
Gumb

Re: About to pull the trigger on a Kamado Joe

Post by Gumb »

Hi deigs, before you pull that trigger, check out the kamado from smoke king BBQs. You get it delivered cheaper than the Joe with the necessary accessories. I think the standard size is enough for your needs if it's mainly for 4. The grill extender is a must have, as is the deflector plate and I think you have to buy them as extras if you get a Joe.

Have a play with it and you can add other toys later, like a party q controller which I use to help keep it at the right temp for over night cooking. It's not an essential but definitely a help. The other toys I suggest would be a maverick pt 100 or thermopen meat thermometer and a maverick et 732 to monitor the meat and keep an eye on the pit temperature.

A charcoal chimney is a help too. Or an electric charcoal starter is another option.

Have a read of this.......someone who asked the same question in here a while ago.
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=13618
Debauly

Post by Debauly »

We just purchased the smoke king a few weeks back. Highly recommended. Great price quality and service. U won't be disappointed with a kamado it's freakin awesome!!!
Jkspinner

Post by Jkspinner »

If you cannot decide between the standard Joe and big Joe, have a look at the Primo Oval. It's the perfect fit between the two. I was in the same boat earlier this year, and the Primo was he perfect fit. It's as wide as the big Joe, but only as deep as the standard Joe.
ADP1805

Post by ADP1805 »

Deigs,

I have recently purchased the XL Kamado from Smoke Kings and its great.

Did two pork necks and 1 x 8lb Beef brisket yesterday for a family function...and the general feeling was the meat was amazing...great value for money from Gary and make sure to get the deal with all the accessories ...YOU WONT BE SORRY you did.

Cheers,

Andrew.
2nd Place Beef,10th in Lamb & 9th Pork Ribs 18th overall Barbecue Wars 2015 Port Macquarie.
It is not enough to have a good BBQ, the main thing is to use it well"

http://www.pelicanprogear.com
Black Iron Smokers & BBQ Face Book.
henry

Post by henry »

Deigs i would stick with the Kamado Joe brand. So much innovation coming out from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Against GST on fresh produce which will increase your cost of Bbqing? Love to hear your thoughts here below.
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=13615
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

henry wrote:Deigs i would stick with the Kamado Joe brand. So much innovation coming out from there.

Why would anyone pay more for the same thing ?
henry

Post by henry »

I don't think that it is too much more. I personally like the brand and they are constantly improving their products and have the ability to do so and it's a well established business.

Against GST on fresh produce which will increase your cost of Bbqing? Love to hear your thoughts here below.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

It's $300 more for the basic unit and the Joe has a much flimsier stand. I'd be supporting one of our forum vendors and the feedback he has got from members here is first rate. For the price of the basic joe, the smoke king has an electric charcoal starter, grill extender, heat deflector, pizza stone, cover, remote thermometer and a hibachi grill thrown in.

http://www.smokekingbbqs.com.au/product ... sory-pack/
henry

Post by henry »

Just personal choice for mine. I'm very happy with mine and have been using it for years.

Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Fair enough too. :D that's the bottom line. :wink:
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

BBQG is about to bring in the new 2014 range of Kamado Joe so I recommend you haggle your local sales person if they are selling the older model for a great price. Don't forget it's EOFY sale time!

The new Kamado Joe has an awesome flexible cooking system.

http://www.kamadojoe.com/accessories/divide-conquer

So depending on what model Kamado Joe (pre 2014 vs 2014) you get affects what accessories you should buy, plus your question on how big you need your Kamado.

It should be a given that you buy a cover and deflector stone. The cover is important as it keeps the moisture out. eg nothing worse than trying to light moist charcoal unless you like your Kamado to impersonate a steam train!

Get a charcoal lighter of some description. eg looftligher or some other electric one if you are close enough to a powerpoint or a chimney starter. $40 for a looftlighter down to $10 for a chimney starter.

Don't forget the high temperature gloves. Best buy is off ebay for around $20.

Buy a good temp meter. Nothing worse than destroying your roast because of bad temps. I recommend a dual probe so you can measure the grill and cooking temp. No matter what Kamado you buy the temp gauges aren't that accurate.

I recommend you get some grill grates, not an immediate purchase but when you are finished with your first round of geee, that tasted awesome, try a 2 inch steak in the Kamado on your grill grates, it is second heaven. Also try them upside down, they make an excellent flat cooking surface.

re: the SmokeKIng BBQ's vs Kamado Joe debate. I've bought stuff from Gary and he has great service. My local BBQ G manager just loves her Kamado Joe, in fact all her sales people own one and use it for their own BBQ's.

Your charcoal can make a big difference to your cooking experience. Depending on what capital city you are close to, once you try the "high volume commercial and generally over priced charcoal", go to the vendor section of this forum and find a good charcoal supplier and get some 20KG bags sent to you. The Kamado fuel use is so good that it will last for months.

Lastly I wrote the Kamado 101 post for new Kamado owners.

http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=11471

Lot's of good stuff to help you there to help you.
Last edited by 12x7 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nath

Post by Nath »

Id have to agree with Gumb, not sure why you would pay $300 more for a product with less features. Quality wise I wouldn't see them being any different.

Nath
Nath
deigs

Post by deigs »

Gentlemen, your advice as always has been fantastic. Lots of good points and you've given me plenty to think about. I'll post here with my first BBQ attempt in the next few weeks.
Dougt

Post by Dougt »

Deigs I went with a smoke king kamado and haven't looked back. Cheaper then the joe and Gary offers great support.