Akorn - No longer sold by Bunnings

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Gumb

Re: Akorn - No longer sold by Bunnings

Post by Gumb » Fri May 08, 2015 12:41 pm

I got on to a cheap batch of Firebrand robot turds and mix them up with my lump charcoal which I buy from AussieBBQSmoke. They burn hot and slowly and can be reused a few times over. I find that mixing them up gives me the best of both worlds for a long slow cook. Their only draw back is that they take a bit to light. But the lump mixed in fixes that problem.

niko123456

Post by niko123456 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:48 pm

Brilliant.

Does anyone have a Kamodo 101 online resource?

As far as I can tell.. you sort of do a minion method with some lump, make sure you choke the fire down before you let the unit heat up too much?

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Fri May 08, 2015 2:14 pm

Yep, that's right....start closing vents down when you are 25C short of the target temp.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

Gumb

Post by Gumb » Fri May 08, 2015 2:33 pm

A Minion method is exactly what it is and fill the fire box up when starting.

If you are going for a low temp fire, start by lighting a small amount on top of the pile (use smaller bits for this) and the fire will gradually burn it's way down. You can fan it with a hair dryer or similar to help it going.

If you are going for a higher temp cook like pizza or roasting, start the fire further inside the pile and add some smaller chunks on top so you have a larger base to begin with. As Chris rightly says, watch it as it gets close to target. It won't take you long to work out the best settings on the vents but for starters, have the bottom vent about half way and do your adjustments using the top vent. You can then close the bottom vent down more if needed. After a while you'll be a master of it. Oh, and you'll be hooked like the rest of us. :D

12x7

Post by 12x7 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:00 pm

niko123456 wrote:Brilliant.

Does anyone have a Kamodo 101 online resource?

As far as I can tell.. you sort of do a minion method with some lump, make sure you choke the fire down before you let the unit heat up too much?
I wrote a Kamado 101 http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=11471

I linked to lots of videos so you can see what is happening.

It covers accessories, cooking techniques, maintenance, other Kamado sites and lots more.

niko123456

Post by niko123456 » Sat May 09, 2015 6:55 pm

Thanks, that's a really good thread.

I put it together today - I'm impressed with the quality as everything fit together precisely where it should have.

Only had a small handful of lump (ordered more) so thought I'd stick it on to season the grate. Has been sitting pretty at 350f for a while now. I did find lighting it harder because I'm so used to the chimney starter taking all the stress out of it.

Trying to decide what to do with my Weber OTG. My opening line with the Mrs was that I would sell it or give it to my brother. Her concern is having a jungle of bbqs on the deck. Originally I thought I'd need the weber still for two zone fire but I'm impressed with the warming tray that comes with the Akorn. So maybe a lot of my recipes won't need adapting too much.

But I'm also thinking I could clean the Weber up and put it in storage for the times I'm doing low and slow and grilling at the same time.

There is still one more on the shelf at Bunnings in Wollongong for $210 - can't believe the price for the quality of the unit and parts and accessories.

Dam

Post by Dam » Sun May 10, 2015 2:10 am

What an amazing BBQ, I made pizzas yesterday, they cook in not more than 2-3 minutes (perhaps less) and were fantastic (the thermometer was maxed out at 370*C ;-) ).

I did add some bricks (especially under the pizza stone to avoid the base being burned) to increase the heat mass but I dont think it was necessary)

And I did a great Beer Can Chicken today for dinner, 2hours for the most delicious result with roasted Veggies ( very well insulated as the bbq was safe to touch).

This is BBQ is so much better than my Weber Q220

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg » Sun May 10, 2015 8:30 am

Welcome to the yummy world of Kamado BBQ guys. I hope you'll share pics of your next cookup with us.

food&fish

Post by food&fish » Wed May 13, 2015 12:20 pm

I love my Akorn
Did an experiment yesterday and overnight
1/2 bag samba bbq fuel [bunnings special ]
connected Q master senior and set it at 250f at 10 am yesterday
Got up this morning at 7 am and Akorn at 246 f and looked inside I recon still a 1/3 of the fuel left
why did I do it cos I can :lol:
Also when you are old and get bored anything amuses you :oops:

Keeper

Post by Keeper » Wed May 13, 2015 1:46 pm

With some vouchers and cash I picked up one yesterday from Bunnings. I got it together last night and hopefully I'll season it tonight.

I also checked out the Dragon Kamado at BBQ Galore. There was a wait of around 10 days for the Dragon and the Akron was in stock ready to go. The Akorn was easier to move around on it's cart compared to the Dragon and included a heat deflector and cover. The Akorn is only black and Dragon was green not sure about other colours as nobody at BBQ Galore was interested in talking to me! The warming rack in the Dragon was more like a gasser warming rack, long and thin around the back half of the cooker. The Akron was circular and could hold a second layer of food more easily. Changing the ash pan was the same.

That's what I noticed (as a novice).
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory

niko123456

Post by niko123456 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:58 pm

Did my first cook on the Akorn last night.

I got far too much smoke taste from the lump charcoal in my food.

I think I need to get better at lighting the thing... I could probably have been more patient and let some of the coals burn in a bit before I closed the lid... smoke was thick and black.. Given that I was grilling I should have lit it from the bottom (or even used a chimney), rather than light a firelighter at the top and let it catch and burn down.

I'll try a low and slow this weekend. But I still don't really know how to make sure I don't get too much smoke from the charcoal (rather than smoking wood), as the charcoal was acrid and I found it burnt thick & black smoke when lighting.

Temperature also fluctuated a bit.. was interesting to watch the fire roar back to life with the vents open.. I think had I preheated a bit more I would have had more stability. I pretty much got to temp (250C for grilling) and got cooking, which was a dumb idea. My grates clearly weren't hot enough and I had a few things sticking.

WarmBeer

Post by WarmBeer » Wed May 13, 2015 2:22 pm

Keeper wrote:With some vouchers and cash I picked up one yesterday from Bunnings. I got it together last night and hopefully I'll season it tonight.

I also checked out the Dragon Kamado at BBQ Galore. There was a wait of around 10 days for the Dragon and the Akron was in stock ready to go. The Akorn was easier to move around on it's cart compared to the Dragon and included a heat deflector and cover. The Akorn is only black and Dragon was green not sure about other colours as nobody at BBQ Galore was interested in talking to me! The warming rack in the Dragon was more like a gasser warming rack, long and thin around the back half of the cooker. The Akron was circular and could hold a second layer of food more easily. Changing the ash pan was the same.

Where did you get it from? Did they have more in stock?

Keen to have a look at both.
Dragon Kamado | Weber OTS | Hark (Aldi) Smoker | Rusty Gasser

Fents

Post by Fents » Wed May 13, 2015 2:40 pm

niko123456 wrote:Did my first cook on the Akorn last night.

I got far too much smoke taste from the lump charcoal in my food.

I think I need to get better at lighting the thing... I could probably have been more patient and let some of the coals burn in a bit before I closed the lid... smoke was thick and black.. Given that I was grilling I should have lit it from the bottom (or even used a chimney), rather than light a firelighter at the top and let it catch and burn down.

I'll try a low and slow this weekend. But I still don't really know how to make sure I don't get too much smoke from the charcoal (rather than smoking wood), as the charcoal was acrid and I found it burnt thick & black smoke when lighting.

Temperature also fluctuated a bit.. was interesting to watch the fire roar back to life with the vents open.. I think had I preheated a bit more I would have had more stability. I pretty much got to temp (250C for grilling) and got cooking, which was a dumb idea. My grates clearly weren't hot enough and I had a few things sticking.
you didnt wait long enough after you lit the charcoal. wait longer for the temp to stabilise a bit more. the taste you were getting is charcoal lighting. always wait till there is really thin smoke coming out.

aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:01 pm

yer just rushed it mate, need to cook when the fire is ready
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado

Keeper

Post by Keeper » Wed May 13, 2015 3:39 pm

WarmBeer wrote:
Keeper wrote:With some vouchers and cash I picked up one yesterday from Bunnings. I got it together last night and hopefully I'll season it tonight.

Where did you get it from? Did they have more in stock?

Keen to have a look at both.

I got it from Narellan in NSW. There was four left after I bought mine.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory