Akorn - No longer sold by Bunnings

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
12x7

Akorn - No longer sold by Bunnings

Post by 12x7 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:28 pm

I have been thinking about buying another Kamado. I was pondering the merits of the Akorn vs my Kamado Joe.

I rang a few Bunnings to discover that the Akorn was no longer on their web site and the helpful person in the BBQ section told me it was discontinued. He did not have one in stock, but he did find a few in the other stores nearby, but not a lot. He even gave me the stock item:3180 332 so I could ring around myself if I wanted to.

I decided to visit the char griller web site and looked under the Kamado section and it is no longer there as well.

So I'm wondering, should I buy one while there is some stock around, and what happens if the seals go? where can I get parts?

Does anyone know of another metal Kamado sold in Australia?

Gumb

Re: Akorn - No longer sold by Bunnings

Post by Gumb » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:57 pm

I think you could use the same seals as the ceramic kamados and just stick them on, I can't see why that wouldn't work. Maybe they will sell another floor model cheap like someone spotted last week.

chrisg

Post by chrisg » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:16 pm

I was wondering from other threads.

I'm not in the market but was interested to see one.

We have a new Bunnings here, massive place, not far from the old one, shaping up as a big fight with the new Masters, which is only good for buyers I guess.

Went for a wander there over Easter and there was a pretty knowledgeable person in the Q area, he said he didn't think they would be carrying the Acorn and didn't think Bunnings had any plans to continue with it but he didn't know why.

Pity, but if there is a viable hole in the market someone will pick it up, or something similar.

Cheers

Gumb

Post by Gumb » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:58 pm

I think kamado type charcoal cookers are still very much a specialty item and the average Joe who buys a BBQ from Bunnies would have no idea what they can do. They aren't a mass sale item so they stop stocking them. I wonder if their pizza ovens will got the same way ?

the dane

Post by the dane » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:28 pm

Just went down to bunnings woodville, hoping they might be half price! But still full price & a few in stock! Makes me wonder why bunnings have a HUGE RANGE off bbqs, and never no one there to serve you!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

chrisg

Post by chrisg » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Yeah, I think I was lucky at the new Joondalup store, although it was on the weekend, they seem to have more customer support people around then.

It's an aspect of Masters I really like, good friendly knowledgeable floor staff.

Cheers

12x7

Re:

Post by 12x7 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:33 pm

the dane wrote:Just went down to bunnings woodville, hoping they might be half price! But still full price & a few in stock! Makes me wonder why bunnings have a HUGE RANGE off bbqs, and never no one there to serve you!

I am hoping that with winter approaching the store managers will be looking to switch their stocks to winter goods like heaters and move the slow moving/discontinued BBQ items on sale.

Especially around July in the stocktake clearance. If I can get an Akorn for 50% off list, it is a very good purchase.

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:34 am

12x7 wrote: Does anyone know of another metal Kamado sold in Australia?
The BSK is sold in Australia, it's a Gasmate product:
http://www.gasmate.com.au/SCats.asp?SCatID=62&CatID=1

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

12x7

Post by 12x7 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:12 pm

urbangriller wrote:
12x7 wrote: Does anyone know of another metal Kamado sold in Australia?
The BSK is sold in Australia, it's a Gasmate product:
http://www.gasmate.com.au/SCats.asp?SCatID=62&CatID=1

Cheers
Chris
Thanks Chris,

I had a look at Joe's BBQ's and they cost $1599. Way more expensive than the Akorn and quite a few of the ceramic brands.

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:23 pm

12x7 wrote:
Thanks Chris,

I had a look at Joe's BBQ's and they cost $1599. Way more expensive than the Akorn and quite a few of the ceramic brands.
You can save $300 on that if you look around! Damn good Kamado, I love mine (so does Management).

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

the dane

Post by the dane » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:37 pm

$1599 is expensive but I have seen one, and they look unbreakable! But in saying that, $1599 can buy a lot of beer and meat for the akorn! If I had room I would of brought one! Then the wife would say why 5 bbqs?

bbqnewB

Post by bbqnewB » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:33 am

Really love my BSK. Can't fault it, except the price includes the mandatory 'Australia Tax' of 100% markup on top of the USA price which sucks (did I mention the Australia tax sucks?)

PJAU

Post by PJAU » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:32 pm

Picked up an Akorn at Bunnings Fyshwick (ACT) yesterday. They had at least one more boxed and another on display if anyone is looking.

sluggerdog

Post by sluggerdog » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:38 pm

I also bought one of these yesterday at North Lakes, QLD. They had 2 more boxes on the floor plus the demo model. If anyone is looking into it.

skuzy

Post by skuzy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:17 pm

They still have at a bunnings I frequent... I'm keeping my eye on it in case it goes on sale

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk