Recommend me a high quality brisket supplier in Sydney

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
marcn

Post by marcn »

I've had my OTG for almost twelve months now and i think it's time to tackle a brisket.

Can anyone recommend a butcher selling high quality briskets between 5-7kg? Wouldn't mind Wagyu if I have to.

I've tried SU One butcher at Eastwood based on another forum member recommendation but they didn't have any full blood and wanted $20/kg. Yeah right.
BBQAroma

Re: Recommend me a high quality brisket supplier in Sydney

Post by BBQAroma »

I blogged about this topic if anyone is interested on how I did mine - http://bbqaroma.com/blog/2014/03/smokin ... australia/

In the end of my search, I ended up back at my local butcher and made him order in a Young beef quarter, which I was able to get a brisket with the deckle still attached. I found Yearling Beef a bit small but that seems the norm out there for most small local butchers. Best bet is to make friends with your local butcher and cut your own out if you want to save on costs.

Places to try ..........
- Meat emporium in Alexandria. They usually have vac sealed point end grain fed. But on few occasions I have missed out finding it there.
- Feather and Bone in Marrickville But expect to pay more for produce direct from the farm!
- Vic Meats in Mascot. They supply most of the restaurants and can supply Wagyu. I haven't bought from them but did find out they had Brisket but no deckle!
- Costco?? Many of my customers tell me they get USA ribs from there but not sure if Costco has Brisket... but they should right!

I'm still looking for the cheapest pre-packed Brisket in SYDNEY myself :)
http://www.bbqaroma.com.au
Maestro of ARROSTICINI sub-culture, Importer of Charcoal Barbecues, retailer of Skewers, Sauces & Smokers with an addiction to extreme Chilli Sauces!
marcn

Post by marcn »

Thanks Aroma,

I gave Meat Emporium a ring, I think the bloke on the phone was new, as he couldn't tell me where his brisket came from. Only that it was 150-200 day grain fed angus (which I could've gotten from their website). I'm told they do a good short rib, so may go there for that.

My local butchers are a complete rip off, so that's not an option unfortunately.

I hear a lot of good things about Vic Markets, but I'm barely available on Saturdays, and it's hard to coordinate going there on Saturdays as any Saturday I'm free I'm usually cooking.

Costco is one I still have to visit.

I'm still looking for a one stop shop that does great collar butt, brisket, scotch fillet, and short ribs. Happy to drive for 30mins-1hr if it means I can get all my meat in one go. Probably asking for too much.
Last edited by marcn on Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcn

Post by marcn »

Great website btw. Got me thinking about buying a dedicated smoker instead of using the OTG :)
Jester

Post by Jester »

The deckle is a great cut, but its very hard to get good quality brisket with the deckle attached, particularly wagyu. Most US images of brisket are with deckle removed.

The deckle, at least in Australia, isn't the point, its a piece of meat attached to the non-fat cap side. This is a good vid showing it.

I highly recommend Vics. Never seen brisket in costco.
Eureka Smoke - Melbourne BBQ Festival 2015 Grand Champion, 2nd - Port Macquarie March 2014
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

It pays to search around, My Butcher is Ex Vics and gives me what ever I ask for, Deckle on, Off, Hanger steak. The whole shebang.
I'm sure a hell of a lot of butchers out there just don't know too much about low and slow real BBQ.
I'm also sure not all of them are any good at cooking other than rolled brisket in an indoor oven and flat top gas frying.
There has to be a reason it's so hard to get the right cut? Just some thoughts
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
marcn

Post by marcn »

Might have to just skip on cooking Saturday and head to Vics to have a look.

I forgot to add when I called Emporium, I told him I was going to cook it in the kettle. Coming to think of it he must of been new because his response was "You're going to bbq brisket?"
LA1

Post by LA1 »

This same question has been answered on the forum quite a few times.

Havericks and Vic's are wholesaler with Saturday markets and sell Brisket, Short ribs and pork neck and shoulder.

The Meat Emporium, Wrights and Nicolson and Saville are open normal trading hrs and or 7 days. They all stock Brisket, Short ribs and pork neck and shoulder.

Wrights do full blood Wagyu point end Brisket for $15 per kilo. The Meat Emporium and Havericks stock different types of Brisket. Ask for the 100+ day grain fed versions. Anything less will dry out in a smoker.

The Meat Emporium is a big place, quite a few employees. When you said you wanted to BBQ it, they probably assumed you were talking about bbq'ing as in BBQ/grilling(this is Oz, not Kansas remember)
BBQAroma

Post by BBQAroma »

Thanks !!!
Pop by the shop one day if your in the area! Got most on display together with all the wood :)
marcn wrote:Great website btw. Got me thinking about buying a dedicated smoker instead of using the OTG :)
http://www.bbqaroma.com.au
Maestro of ARROSTICINI sub-culture, Importer of Charcoal Barbecues, retailer of Skewers, Sauces & Smokers with an addiction to extreme Chilli Sauces!
ColMack

Post by ColMack »

Have you looked at Nicholson & Saville - they are out at East Gardens

I picked up some Pellets and whilst I was at it I bought some of their beef and pork. Their meat is really good - I haven't tried their Brisket yet - but I have tried their Scotch Fillet and Eye Fillet and it has been really good quality. Their Chorizo is very good!

Cheers,
Col.
Large Green Grill Dome, Traeger Pro 22, Weber OTG, Hibachi (CI and Ceramic) and Traeger Junior
marcn

Post by marcn »

Thanks for the advice everyone. Gave wrights a ring and they've got some some FI brisket from Aaco.

I'll give N&S a ring tomorrow.

The gelatinous and moistness from some FI wagyu briskets I've seen looks incredible, while others have looked overly dry. What are peoples experience with wagyu briskets. Is it worth it? There's a few names I've heard of such as Redrock, Cape Grim? and Sher Wagyu.
edgy

Post by edgy »

marcn wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. Gave wrights a ring and they've got some some FI brisket from Aaco.

I'll give N&S a ring tomorrow.

The gelatinous and moistness from some FI wagyu briskets I've seen looks incredible, while others have looked overly dry. What are peoples experience with wagyu briskets. Is it worth it? There's a few names I've heard of such as Redrock, Cape Grim? and Sher Wagyu.
redrock is coorong angus afaik, the cape grim is not a wagyu breed cattle either to my knowledge.

The coorong angus (which is a product of Meatman here) is what N+S sell, you should also get a hold of their NZ grass fed beef ribs too ;)
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
marcn

Post by marcn »

Hi Edgy,

I was just mentioning the more popular produces of brisket I had heard of, not necessarily wagyu.

I've spoken to a few stores, and will pickup some brisket and beef ribs over the coming days, and from there i'll pick someone who will be my regular.

Thank you for everyone's contribution. Good to have all these names in Sydney in one thread for others who may be looking.
MrT

Post by MrT »

Why do you want to leave the decal on?

Also, do you just want the point end (as in that video), or the whole thing?
marcn

Post by marcn »

Just the point end