Hark Tri Fire - First test

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Narmnaleg

Hark Tri Fire - First test

Post by Narmnaleg » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:52 am

I recently added a Hark Tri Fire to the fleet. Yesterday it was tested for the first time (well, I actually cooked chicken on it after it was seasoned on Tuesday, but that doesn't count).

In the morning I arranged a test baffle/tuning setup in trying to spread the heat evenly. Not sure how even it is because I need to get more thermometers in there and I didn't have time or patience to do the toast test, but it seemed to do a reasonable job.

The setup is (left to right) a large paver as a baffle (resting on half a brick), followed by a grill tray I had lying around, followed by another paver.

The idea was to try and get the heat moving toward the middle of the Q, and the last paver was just to create a heat sink to normalise the temp a bit on the far side of the Q.

This picture taken from the firebox is easier to see (paver on brick, followed by grill tray, and paver on the Q floor to absorb heat):

I forgot to take pics of the food when it went in. I used 3 beef short ribs and 3 asian style (triangular) pork ribs. All I did was spread montreal steak seasoning on both and in they went at 1pm.

These photos were taken around 1.5 hours later:

After approximately 2.5 hours:

I foiled them after 3 hours (4pm). When foiling I added a splash of balsamic vinegar to the beef shorts and a splash of Stubbs signature sauce to the pork ribs.

I opened the foils and served the food at 6.30pm.

This was the finished result on the pork:

This was the finished result on the beef:

The beef shorts were some of the best I've ever done. The bones would slide out freely, but the meat texture and consistency were just the way my family and I like them.

The pork tasted great, but in hind sight I would not have foiled it for so long. It was a bit too "pulled pork" for ribs. They were falling apart and extremely tender... too tender for my liking. Ate too much of it anyway ;)

The Hark tri fire was fun to drive. Needs to be fed sticks regularly, but other than that was more straightforward than I thought. The temps stayed fairly consistent between 100c and 125c.

urbangriller

Re: Hark Tri Fire - First test

Post by urbangriller » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:55 am

Fab! Nice work.......stick burners are a heap of fun!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks Chris, absolutely right. I had a heap of fun with it. I felt like I was feeding a small locomotive :lol: Chooo Chooooo! :lol:

titch

Post by titch » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:18 am

Narmnaleg wrote:Thanks Chris, absolutely right. I had a heap of fun with it. I felt like I was feeding a small locomotive :lol: Chooo Chooooo! :lol:

That was my ex girlfriends nickname :shock:
Cheers
Titch

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:39 am

titch wrote:
Narmnaleg wrote:Thanks Chris, absolutely right. I had a heap of fun with it. I felt like I was feeding a small locomotive :lol: Chooo Chooooo! :lol:

That was my ex girlfriends nickname :shock:
Locomotive or Chooo Chooooo? :o