Charcoal suppliers

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Spiesy

Re: Charcoal suppliers

Post by Spiesy »

Hi everyone,

Need some advice, please. Looking for quality lump charcoal (preferably red gum) in the northern suburbs Melbourne area (Reservoir, Preston).
I'm new to charcoal BBQ'ing and have just finished my first bag of coal, red gum "lump" from BBQ Galore. Whilst I have nothing to compare to, this charcoal seemed like small fragments rather than lumps, sparked a lot upon lighting and was $50 for the 15-20kg sack (can't remember actual weight). It did burn reasonably well though, just struggled to get to high temps.

I was hoping to hit up Aussie BBQ Smoke, but it's a 2-hr round trip for me and they're generally open during the working week, when I'm working (plus they're out of red gum right now).

Any recommendations from the big list on the first page? Appreciate the help.
KBBQ

Post by KBBQ »

I have 2 bags of Murrumbidgee river red gum for 40 each if interested
zook33per

Post by zook33per »

Nina and Joes butchers on Victoria St, Brunswick, (Melb)
Have Argentinian charcoal in, I'm cooking with it now and its great, $35 for big bag $15 for a small I think.
spclst69

Post by spclst69 »

Do any of the SA listed places sell wood chunks for smoking as well?

Just moved across to Adelaide and need to resupply.
snowfella

Post by snowfella »

Not exactly sure of the quality as it's the first time I've tried it and I'm somewhat of a noob but what I've seen so far of the box I picked up the other day has impressed me.
10kg box of this stuff from my local bunnings for just north of $20
http://chargrilleraustralia.com.au/prod ... -charcoal/
Nice and large pieces and seem to burn with decent heat.
spclst69

Post by spclst69 »

Managed to pick up charcoal from F Stephens and sons in waterloo corner.

They say its Mallee root, 10Kg - $15 20kg - $28.

Unfortunately the only apple wood chunks I could find was the Weber branded stuff at $20 for 2kg :(

I will report back on the charcoal once I have used it.
Rowdy72

Post by Rowdy72 »

Gday,

I have just started out and i am after a good supplier of 20kg bags of Gidgee or similar charcoal near point Cook in Vic, Does anyone know of any places or people around here ?

Cheers

Rowdy
Giddyup

Post by Giddyup »

Psarakos market in thornbury have a selection of charcoal. Gaganis mallee root $35/20kg, and a couple other types, maybe mangrove, for a bit cheaper. Also have smaller bags.
bbjayo

Post by bbjayo »

snowfella wrote:Not exactly sure of the quality as it's the first time I've tried it and I'm somewhat of a noob but what I've seen so far of the box I picked up the other day has impressed me.
10kg box of this stuff from my local bunnings for just north of $20
http://chargrilleraustralia.com.au/prod ... -charcoal/
Nice and large pieces and seem to burn with decent heat.
Yep, I've tried this and it seems to be OK.

- Pieces are a bit too big.
- Contradicting their website, it sparks like crazy when lighting with the looftlighter.
- Smells a bit when first lit.
- Good to see recognisable bits of tree

bb
snowfella

Post by snowfella »

Not just when lighting it as I found out yesterday. Moved a piece of already lit lump and all of a sudden it was like I was standing inside my own little personal bit of fireworks! :shock:
bbjayo

Post by bbjayo »

snowfella wrote:Not just when lighting it as I found out yesterday. Moved a piece of already lit lump and all of a sudden it was like I was standing inside my own little personal bit of fireworks! :shock:
Yeah, I've had that happen too. I've bought a second box so I'll be using it for a bit. I haven't had much success with charcoal in my kamado. It''s just too smelly for low and slow. Maybe I'm not lighting it right. I'll probably move back to heat beads once I get through this lot.
Dupain

Post by Dupain »

BBQ Joe wrote:
BBQ Joe wrote:Thanks Emberpak and Silent Bob. Yeah, Chefs Armoury are always out of stock! I dont think they get very much imported.

I found this website on the weekend when searching on Ebay for Japanese Binchotan Charcoal http://www.kishubinchotan.com.au So I will give them a go and report back to the Forum.

Cheers.
Hi Forum Members,

A few days ago I received a 3kg consignment of charcoal from http://www.kishubinchotan.com.au
The product quality is very good. The guy running the show told me that the charcoal is direct from a supplier who is part of a co-operative harvesting oak trees for Binchotan products in Japan, further explaining none of it originates from other Asian countries such as Vietnam, Thailand or China.

I know its pricey but I would use nothing else for a table top grill. We introduced friends to the experience last night and they were blown away by the taste and the whole tabletop 'grill-to-suit-yourself' experience.

I can recommend this supplier.
Happy with the product too. Can recommend.
Robot

Post by Robot »

I see Heatbeads now have their own brand of lump charcoal (or maybe they have for a while and I just haven't noticed). $39 for 20kg at Bunnings, but I tried three different stores with no luck. Their briquettes are generally highly rated on here, so hopefully their lump will be of similar quality. The video on the Heatbeads site shows uniform fist sized chunks, but it's an advertisement, so...........

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried it.

Bunnings also have Jumbuck charcoal at $16 for 10kg. Jumbuck appears to be Bunnings' home brand, which would explain the reasonable price. The package states that it is eucalyptus charcoal, so that narrows it down to a few thousand varieties :roll: . I couldn't find any reviews on this stuff, so I picked up a bag to try.
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

My local bunnings has the chargriller brand lump or regular heat beads, but I haven't seen the heat beads charcoal or the coconut shell briquettes.
I'll have to ask them to see if they're thinking of stocking it.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I just bought the blue bag of Heatbeads Coconut shell charcoal the other day but haven't used it yet...maybe in the next couple of days.

Bunnings is getting good at supplying different brands of charcoal....awesome.

also Weber Australia have just began a new batch of Riverina Red Gum charcoal....this is the same Charcoal that came from Peter Yoeman but he doesn't own the business anymore but still helps them out. They had some issues a couple of years ago when their pits got filled with flood waters from the floods of Ballarat. Peter sadly has other things on his mind as his young 12 yr old daughter had a diving accident late last year and so far she is near Quadraplegic. She has some movement in her arms but they are now trying to stimilate her legs...poor thing...been in hospital for yonks!!

Anyway....we have a shitload more charcoal than we did 5 years ago.....BBQ has come so far ahead in this country and it's been great to be a part of it all.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5