The great Aussie Sunday Roast Recipe, Add yours!

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Theweberchef

The great Aussie Sunday Roast Recipe, Add yours!

Post by Theweberchef »

Hey guys, bought one kg on "topside roast" from Fresh Provisions in East Fremantle Yesterday (Sunday). This is what I did with it....

Weber Roast Beef.

Weber prep:
Important note: Use only heat beads brand brickettes.
Start one full chimney. Once the chimney has heated to within 2
brickettes from the top, add evenly to either side of Weber.
Place foil tray in the middle of the Weber, 5mm of water. And ten
extra brickettes to Weber.
Open vents.

Potatoes prep:
Turn potatoes then boil to taste. Then place them into an alfoil tray.
Lots of olive oil.

Meat prep:
Rub mustard evenly over meat.
Insert about 6 garlic cloves into slits into meat. Season with lemon
pepper, salt and pepper.
Place onto alfoil tray with olive oil and rosemary sprigs to taste.

Place meat and vege trays onto Weber using indirect heat.

Leave for approx two hours, if the potatoes need to be crispy place on
direct section and monitor.

Medium Rare serving
When meat reaches about 150 degrees taken internally remove and let sit
for 10minutes. Place potatoes into direct section to adjust crispyness.

In all honesty this was a 7/10 effort, tasted great but the meat could have been slightly more rare and of a higher quality. THe spuds could have been a touch crispier. But on the whole actually not bloody bad!
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

My idea of a pleasant Sunday arvo meal is a couple of gourmet brined chickens ( recipe in the poultry recipe section) some crusty rolls, sliced cold tomato and a few glasses of sparkiling wine and a few friends.

Life truely is a Cabernet

Cheers

Phil aka Captain Cook
Last edited by Captain Cook on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theweberchef

Post by Theweberchef »

Sounds fantastic. Can you offer a recipe?
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Theweberchef wrote:Sounds fantastic. Can you offer a recipe?

Recipe in the "Poultry" Recipe Section of this forum listed as Gourmet Brined Chicken. Check out Chris's post regarding brining.

You could do a couple of BCC (beer can chickens) instead but I refer the brined chicken.

Cheers
Phil aka Captain Cook.
Theweberchef

Post by Theweberchef »

Captain Cook wrote:
Theweberchef wrote:Sounds fantastic. Can you offer a recipe?

Recipe in the "Poultry" Recipe Section of this forum listed as Gourmet Brined Chicken. Check out Chris's post regarding brining.

You could do a couple of BCC (beer can chickens) instead but I refer the brined chicken.

Cheers
Phil aka Captain Cook.

So has anyone here done roasts? Maybe you could add your recipe?
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Here's one you may like to try.

Best BBQ Beef Recipe (a personal favourite)

2 to 4 kg of beef -your choice of cut
Couple of cups of rub or marinade to give the desired finished taste
A cup or 2 of your favourite sauce
2-4 cups of water, fruit juice, beer or liquid mixture
Weber BBQ Kettle

I put this recipe here to see if you are paying attention. The secret to being a great barbecue cook is in developing your own special signature dish. The ingredient list above will give you a good start to preparing this. Like all great cooks I left out the secret ingredients from the list but seeing as how you have read this far I will tell you. They are family, friends and fun if these are the added in good quantities then all your barbecues will be memorable.
If you know the basics of barbecuing then you are well on your way to preparing a signature dish. The things to remember are: Cook low and slow (low heat and slow cooking) – this will turn an average cut of meat into something that will melt in your mouth. Marinate with either a dry rub or wet marinade preferably overnight or for a few days, this will enhance the flavour and the enzymes in the marinade will break down the sinews in the meat. Use some type of liquid in the drip pan to keep the meat moist (unless you are doing pork crackling). Use an indirect fire and a Weber Kettle. The Weber BBQ website (www.weberbbq.com.au) has the latest information for the number of briquettes for a normal fire, I usually use a bit over half for a very low fire to 2/3s for a low medium fire. Place the meat in the middle of the rack above the drip pan. Let the meat stand for 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Finally serve with your favourite sauce and a glass or two of McGuigan bin 4000 Cabernet. As my family and friends say every time Be-ute-if-ull Mate!

Cheers

Phil aka Captain Cook aka The Gourmet Cabernet
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Well
Here is the Xmas Pork secret

To get the crackling working make sure it is completely dry , rub the oil in well and then rub the salt in well. Don't use liquid in the drip pan.

Weber Roasted Pork
This is my all time favourite Xmas pork and is a family tradition

3 kg pork rolled roast
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup prunes (without seeds) roughly chopped
1 cup sliced peaches roughly chopped
1 slice bread

Have the butcher loosely roll the pork roast and not cut the strings.
Unroll the roast and stuff with the prunes and sliced peaches. Cut the bread in half and form a plug for each end of the roast to stop the stuffing from coming out. Re-roll the roast and retie the strings. Coat the roast with oil and rub the salt into the skin.
Prepare your Weber Kettle for cooking with a slightly hotter than normal indirect fire. (I add another 5 small briquettes per side.) Place pork in middle of oiled rack over drip pan and cook for 40 minutes. This will produce crispy crackling. Remove the lid and let the heat escape for 5 minutes replace the lid and continue cooking for a further 2 1/2 to 3 hours to an internal temp of 77 C. Remove from the Weber and let stand for 15 minutes before carving.

Cheers
Phil aka Captain Cook
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Aaaaah yes....the traditional Sunday Roast, one of the very few things that luckily are still with us and whilst some versions of the Sunday Roast have varied a little, the basics are still there.

I tend to Favour Pork leg or Butterflied (spatchcock)Chicken these days and after becoming familiar with some of the American style of BBQ, nowadays I try for the very moist meat rather than crispy skin by low & slow & smoking.

The Crackling I now cook seperatley in the little Q using a trivet whilst the Performer Kettle looks after the meat.

When I do the chicken, I put it straight on the grill opposite the fire which is on one side, have a tray of water under chicken and another smaller tray of water over where the fire is to help control the heat better as Kettles will often spike in temps if you don't keep a good watch on them.

When the chicken is cooked, I test actually if the legs move very freely rather than sticking something in the flesh and then i pick it up and reverse sear it by throwing it straight over top of the hottest part of the fire and hear it sizzle. About 5 minutes on the underside and about 2 minutes on the skin side then take it off and wrap with foil for about 15 minutes......such moist succulent chicken...no real secrets, anyone can do it and the results are very delicious.

Roast vegies comprise of baked potato, firstly par boiled then pat dry, make 3 slits in the top and just sprinkle with any spice you like such as garlic powder or paprika I like to use a cajun mix of spice.Give a good spray of olive oil (I sometimes like using Rice bran oil)
Roast Pumpkin in cubes, thick carrot chunks or slices, and definately onion halves rather than sliced although they generally fall apart eventually but are lovely when roasted.

There are lots of variations if you want to put the time in but it's a Sunday Roast and Sunday is for relaxing ain't it!?!

cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5