Weber Q Cookbook

Books books books, reviews and favourites
Captain Cook

Weber Q Cookbook

Post by Captain Cook »

For those of you that own a Weber Q (or any BBQ with a hood that you can cook on with the hood down,) have a look at the new "Australia's Own Cookbook for the Weber Q". Written by Ross McDonald and Margaret Kirkwood. Not only does it have some good recipes that will tempt you there is great information regarding advanced cooking on the Q series, it covers the Baby Q the Q200/220 and the Family Q series.
The Filo wrapped Brie is similar one I do and is a great entertainer dish, I also like the idea of the fried eggs in the capsicum rings - very clever.

regards
Captain Cook
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Hi there Phil,

Yeah, I've had a Captain Cook (hehehe...sorry) at that book and seems to quiet a good book and may consider buying it but i reckon yours is very good as well...
Speaking of Weber Q's, i've kinda been hinting to my other half about stepping up to the Q220 within the next 12 months because by then the little baby Q will be close to 4 yrs old and still very sellable(after a good clean up), but I was wondering if the 220 will fit on the same trolley/cart as the baby Q? I see that the baby Q's little legs fit inside the the inner slots and there are outer slots for a larger Q and I was thinking that theres only 2 larger Q's and that at the time was the 200 & 300. Maybe I won't have to buy another cart....they are quite expensive.

Back to books though...had a look at Steve Raichlan's 'How to grill' but could only see a 2001 edition, is there a later edition here in Aus?

Thanx there Phil....

Regards

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Davo wrote: Back to books though...had a look at Steve Raichlan's 'How to grill' but could only see a 2001 edition, is there a later edition here in Aus?
I just checked my version it's a 2001...
It's great and recommended!
Is there a newer one on Amazon???
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Yes
The rolling cart that the Baby fits on will also work on the Q200/220. I have the rolling cart for mine.
On ebay the baby goes for about 200.

regards
captain cook
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Davo
I have the 2008 edition that I ordered from Amazon.com it worked out much cheaper than buying in Oz. A great inspirational book. I use recipes out of there for a basis of developing new ones. Though Steve is an advocate of grilling with the lid off over charcoal for some recipes. I don't beleive in this concept after all my experimentation of grilling with the lid on with the kettle.

Regards
Captain Cook
Last edited by Captain Cook on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Thanks Phil for your replies.

A few years ago a friend of mine was telling me that he was buying some text books and a few other reading materials directly from amazon usa to Sydney and was cheaper than any bookstore in Sydney even when you consider the postage costs and the exchange rate, makes you wonder the mark-up on books here.

Phew...thank goodness i don't have to buy a new cart when i upgrade my Q.

I think I might wait till March next year because thats when there are big weber sales on. Just like my performer, normally $729, I got it for $589.
You can buy a lot of meat for $140 bucks hehehehe.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Buccaneer

Re: Weber Q Cookbook

Post by Buccaneer »

I'm waiting on a deal for a performer too, Davo.

I paid $462 for the Q220+full 9 kg bottle + book so that wasn't too bad.
I briefly had a look at the book and wasn't impressed, thought it was geared to impress rather than perform but it is unfair when I haven't had a proper go so that's all I'll say till then.

Kinda like that fishing lure maker who said
"I don't make lures to catch fish, but fishermen"
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Weber Q Cookbook

Post by Davo »

It wasn't Bushie that said this about fishermen was it...hehehehehe he has sold a lot of fishing gear since the Rex Hunt shows :lol:
But at the same time they got a lot of young kids interested in the fun of fishing...jeez I wish I could get out more these days to catch a few.

The weber Q book is one I recommend because shows the settings on all the model series in the Q range and how to set it up for indirect,grilling, roasting and baking as well as having many Australian inspired recipes.I refer back to it quite often for ideas.

If you have a premium dealer nearby,just keep an eye on the local free newspapers as they often advertise in there (mine do) and try to find out if they have a website and check once a week just incase they have good speacials.Sometimes Weber might have a shipment of stock that have damaged cartons or they might be running a special if they have something in another colour that did't quite hit the market. That's how I got my performer ( mine is Sage green.....very light pastel green; I often checked my dealer (but never directly) to find out what spls are on and lo & behold....they had a 20% sale on everything Weber....so i rang up and asked for the best price on the Performer and he said $589 and I said get one ready..i'm comming to pick her up. They retailed for $729......now that's a bargain...I got my Q220 in a similar way.....nearly $100 off retail...SOLD!! :lol:

Just put some dollars aside and be ready to pounce.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Wobbly

Re:

Post by Wobbly »

Davo wrote:Hi there Phil,

Yeah, I've had a Captain Cook (hehehe...sorry) at that book and seems to quiet a good book and may consider buying it but i reckon yours is very good as well...

Davo
Is there a consensus here on which book is the best for a rookie Weber Q owner? Any electronic sample copies?
Weber Family Q
57cm Black Charcoal Weber
47cm Maroon Charcoal Weber
Captain Cook

Re: Re:

Post by Captain Cook »

Wobbly wrote:
Davo wrote:Hi there Phil,

Davo
Is there a consensus here on which book is the best for a rookie Weber Q owner? Any electronic sample copies?
Wobbly
I sent you some info by email - Hope it helps

Captain