SMOKING MEAT BOOK

Books books books, reviews and favourites
the dane

SMOKING MEAT BOOK

Post by the dane »

Has any one brought the book Smoking Meat: The Essential Guide to Real Barbecue, by Jeff Phillips?
if so any good?? my sister normally buys me a book every Christmas.
beermee

Re: SMOKING MEAT BOOK

Post by beermee »

Isn't that the free e-book when you sign up to the newsletter? If so, I've got that. A pretty comprehensive 101 guide to smoking.....

Gary
Note that: Gary is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: 'SmokeKingBBQs' (as a vendor) and 'beermee' (as a personal account)

Jester

Post by Jester »

I have it - its basically a book that summarises information off internet forums for beginners. And does a good job at it.

The first third is about "smokeology". Its a good introduction to smoking on different cookers and Jeff's philosophy on BBQing. He doesn't push you down one type of smoking and does a good job of comparing them.

The rest of the book comprises the typical forum recipes like ABT's and Moink balls, mixed in with his views on cooking each of the meats. Certainly more detail than a typical cookbook and to his credit, he gives credit where its due for the recipes. Its definitely focused on home cooking, rather than competition recipes

There a bit of product placement but he does call it out (eg only talks about stoker draft controllers because "its the one everyone's talking about" but does admit he got his for free).

Titch's comments previously about not needing to buy books if you read forums could not be more true in this case. There's not a lot that's new in here or that you can't find by browsing forums. However it is a well written summary.
Eureka Smoke - Melbourne BBQ Festival 2015 Grand Champion, 2nd - Port Macquarie March 2014
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
the dane

Post by the dane »

Cheers guys! Will probably still get the book, as a xmas gift! Better then socks!!
Stevem109r

Post by Stevem109r »

His book "how to smoke meat" is the free one, the other one is about $20 ish as a iTunes download or there is a lot of torrent sites with it.

sent via electronic carrier pigeon.
Jester

Post by Jester »

I got mine from itunes. For those who use Macs, there's a new ereader coming in OSX Mavericks tomorrow.
Eureka Smoke - Melbourne BBQ Festival 2015 Grand Champion, 2nd - Port Macquarie March 2014
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
henry

Post by henry »

Its a great book.
Against GST on fresh produce which will increase your cost of Bbqing? Love to hear your thoughts here below.
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=13615