just finished the book

Books books books, reviews and favourites
the dane

just finished the book

Post by the dane »

Well I have just finished reading the book Low & Slow, took 2 weeks to get the book here and a week to read! and the outcome is, I would of been better to ask you guys for INFO!!!!! :o
The book was ok, if you like to be spoken to by a DICTATOR!
Amazing out of the 3 books I wanted, 2 were at all good book shops, and I picked the one no one stocks! tells me something now!
the other 2 books were Smoke and Spice & weber smoke
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: just finished the book

Post by Davo »

the dane wrote:Well I have just finished reading the book Low & Slow, took 2 weeks to get the book here and a week to read! and the outcome is, I would of been better to ask you guys for INFO!!!!! :o
The book was ok, if you like to be spoken to by a DICTATOR!
Amazing out of the 3 books I wanted, 2 were at all good book shops, and I picked the one no one stocks! tells me something now!
the other 2 books were Smoke and Spice & weber smoke
Dane, was that the book by the Author Gary Wiviott? If so, yeah he does come over like a Dictator and in his school, it's his way or the highway..no IFs Buts or maybe's but he is known around the circuit as someone who does know what he's talking about....especially handling the Weber Smokey Mountain.

This is a Q & A Wiviott done in 2009 on the virtual Weber Bullet forum....
http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?66-Q- ... 0f334e4ce6

Don't think too Hard about BBQ...just do what he says :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

Eh... that, not going to be told how to cook, Gordon Ramsay needs a swift kick where it hurts in my opinion, cooking doesn't have rules it has exploration - nothing is hard and fast, too many variables, especially with BBQ, the kitchen is more a controlled environment.

A good renegade cook is Anthony Bourdain, but I don't recall much in the BBQ area.

You have inspired me to go round up the books I have, but not this instant, first chook in the Q :)

Cheers
BBQ&BEERS

Post by BBQ&BEERS »

chrisg wrote::)
cooking doesn't have rules it has exploration
The very thing that attracted me to cooking in the first place.
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

try the little devils out of smoke and spice.................

i think you will like them... :D

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

chrisg wrote::)

Eh... that, not going to be told how to cook, Gordon Ramsay needs a swift kick where it hurts in my opinion, cooking doesn't have rules it has exploration - nothing is hard and fast, too many variables, especially with BBQ, the kitchen is more a controlled environment.

A good renegade cook is Anthony Bourdain, but I don't recall much in the BBQ area.

You have inspired me to go round up the books I have, but not this instant, first chook in the Q :)

Cheers
Agree Chris,
Ramsay should have stuck to soccer, dishes out a mean headbutt. You don't get the best out of people by yelling abuse at them.
I like Hestons off beat and very unusual take on food, watched last night where he was redoing the menu in a childrens hospital and had the kids eating meal worms, vomit soup, snot shakes. Good healthy food made to look weird and given a gross name is going to win over kids every time.
Don't mind Jamie Olivers simplicity, less is more.
Bourdain can take the blame for me being involved in this forum, watched no reservations when he was eating "Jerk Chicken" googled it, blended three or four recipes off the net to make what I wanted in the way of marinade. Then proceeded to ruin a perfectly good chook with too much heat, too many coals because I lit a camp fire in the kettle and put the chook on way too early.
Started looking for ideas to prevent that happening again and ended up here. Haven't stuffed up a chook since thanks to the help of members here but have got into strife because of my growing collection of BBQ's and gadgets.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
beermee

Post by beermee »

I've never really been a fan of Gordan Ramsay, but his latest "ultimate cookery course" series is great. It's almost taken a leaf out of Jamie Olivers aproach - simple steps, fresh ingredients, great presentation, simple stuff anyone can cook!

Bourdain is one of my favourites too - not so much for his cooking, moreso for the travel / food / eating experiences he presents - which he present in a very 'no BS' manner.

I'll add Bobby Flay into the discussion - in his tv show he always seems to have so much going on - I just don't think I could cook one of his meals - it doesn't feel 'achievable' to me.....

Gary
Note that: Gary is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: 'SmokeKingBBQs' (as a vendor) and 'beermee' (as a personal account)

Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

Martin Picard from Wild Chef is fun to watch and he make use of most of the animal when he cooks it up. Very entertaining.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

beermee wrote:I've never really been a fan of Gordan Ramsay, but his latest "ultimate cookery course" series is great. It's almost taken a leaf out of Jamie Olivers aproach - simple steps, fresh ingredients, great presentation, simple stuff anyone can cook!
Gary
If you can stand the If you can put up with the precious panting and twitching! Management can't stand it...gives her the creeps, like a used car salesman on Amphetamines!...her words not mine!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!