Jimmy's Sate Sauce

Any general items, polls
Hogsy

Jimmy's Sate Sauce

Post by Hogsy »

Just came across a bottle of this authentic sauce at my local asian supermarket. The owner of the supermarket told me he goes through boxes of this stuff every week which he sells to local thai and chinese restaurants owners. Anyway after doing a quick google search it seems i've been missing out on this little ingredient for years. I just cooked chicken satay skewers for the kids on the Q, and drizzled over a sauce mix of 2tbsp of peanut butter to 1tbsp of Jimmy's then nuked for 20 seconds and they went quicker than one of Captn's brined chooks. The great thing about this sauce is i only needed 2 ingredients and was knocked up in 1min. Great for a quick meal
Has anyone else tried this sauce because i'm hooked
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Smokey

Re: Jimmy's Sate Sauce

Post by Smokey »

Never heard of it, But then there are a million little surprises in those Asian stores.
Thanks for the heads up, I shall search it out
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
leyeon

Post by leyeon »

Yeah coming from an asian background this sauce is amazing for so many things, manly for myself in addition to satay its stir fry with some fine onion, garlic and beef with rice noodles or in the communial steam boat for a spicy kick! Have to whip it out for some meat marinades sometime.

Oh while you're at the grocer pick up some siracha chilli sauce, not extremely spicy but has some nice flavour, kecap manis which most of you have come across is thick sweet soy sauce and probably some mirin which is always handy, japanese sweet sake for cooking is also useful for marinades.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

What you have not heard of Jimmy's satay sauce.
I've been using it for 20 yrs - it is the best satay sauce I've ever used - but for stir fry's not a dipping sau
ce.
It is way to hot for that... mixed with another satay it will add a nice punch.
Just take care you get "Jimmy's" stay sauce - there was a copy a while back called - I think - Johnnie's stay sauce in the same bottle with a very similar label
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Oh and if you like laska's add a teaspoon or half one to a served bowl - changes the flavours in a nice way
jdonly1

Post by jdonly1 »

Great sauce.we use it all the time :mrgreen:
Fang

Post by Fang »

I hadn't heard of it either,
But thanks for the recommendations, I'll keep an eye out for it on the next shopping trip.
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

jdonly1

Post by jdonly1 »

They sell it at Safeway now
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Yes that is it. Generally most if not all Asian food shops have it. I also found it in the states a while back - took ages to find a Chinese food shop.
While there and if you like Thai red, green curries - I've found this paste to be very nice - aromatic -
http://www.asiangrocerystore.com.au/mae ... paste.html.
Of course you can make your own but it is a bit of work
Cheers
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I found a bottle of this(Jimmys) but when I got it home I noticed it was leaking from the lid.
When I opened the lid I found the wax paper seal was torn :evil:
I did taste it and am still alive :roll:
Maybe I will throw it and get another, Cant find receipt.
Anyone else had issues with seals? I dont know if they are vac sealed. If they are being sold a Safeway I would presume so.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

From memory they are not vac sealed, there is a wax paper cover but that doesn't provide vacuum.
I'd be worried about if it had been opened prior and why.
So take it back and swap or get a new one. Maybe open in the shop saying what had happened.
Having a bottle of this on a shelf at ambient temp for ages gets me concerned.
emberpak

Post by emberpak »

Never had a problem with the wax paper seal in the 20+ years I've been buying it. Guess I've been lucky. :D
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I get about 6 months out of mine (till it's empty), it only ever sits on the shelf with the Indian pickles!

Never even looks like growing anything strange!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
PSB

Post by PSB »

Hi everyone.

I have a bottle of Jimmys and was just wondering if anyone has a recipe for using it to make Chinese restaurant style Satay Chicken.

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul