Can We Talk Coffee

Any general items, polls
Papou

Can We Talk Coffee

Post by Papou » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:33 am

Know this is a BBQ Forum n Beer goes with barbies(BBQ's not barby dolls ey :) ) but also at the end of a good Barby one can get stuck into a Good Tawny, a good old fashion "Cuppa " Or Coffee and we all know Coffee is something of taste to some whether it be a "Nes ", "Maccona", " Tourkikou", "Bravo" which is a tad milder or the Barister type "Cappachheeno :)"...
Who has a Coffeee maschine and whats their favourite poison to grind and make their Brew??
I started off with "Sexy Coffee Beans "and they have a good variety of blends, then went on to "Bellaroma " (Also a very nice blend) and am now happilly grinding and savouring "My Dibella" ..
Would appreciate hearing from those who are going or have gopne through the same Coffee journey and what Blend of bean fancied their tastebuds best??..
Good Better Best
Never Let it rest
Until Your best Is Better
And Your better best

fivegallon

Re: Can We Talk Coffee

Post by fivegallon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:59 am

I don't go near any instant coffee and only buy "green" beans now. I roast my own.
Two different roasting machines give me flexibility.
My coffee machine is a Unico Splendor, coupled with a Macap M4D Grinder, Hottop Roaster and iCoffee Roaster. More than enough toys to keep me in great coffee.
My green bean stash sits around 20kg. I roast as demand requires.
Merry Christmas!
Doing the job properly is no excuse for not meeting the schedule...

magste

Post by magste » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Coffee is one of my passions & I could easily fill an A4 or two writing about it :wink: . I am a fan of medium roasted beans and enjoy a variety of flavours, depending on mood – fruitier, earthier, smoother, rougher... 95% of the time I drink coffee black without sugar, on occasion I can add milk for variety and compassion towards my stomach :D .

I used to buy most of my roasted beans (always whole beans if possible & only grind just before consumption) from Kakulas Bro’s, a local grocery wholesaler in Perth. They roast themselves and have a variety of single origin coffees, from Brazil, Guatemala, PNG, Colombia, Kenya, Ethiopia, etc. They are pretty cheap ($15-20/kg)

I’ve also tried a number of Australian producers from northern NSW & QLD, which have been quite good and an interesting variation to other countries. Examples include Rosebank, Wombah & Jaques. Australian coffee is generally quite smooth. Not overly complex but good for a kg or two every now and again.

Lately I’ve purchased more and more from Coffee Company online. They have some really good blends, which bring out the best of components.

From a brewing perspective, at home I mostly use a drip coffee machine. It’s important to have one which brews at the correct temperature (about 95C). I have a Swedish model called Nordica King of Coffee, not available here in Australia. The best brand to get here would be Moccamaster. French press coffee is also good, My fav travel mug is a Bodrum steel French press.

Drip coffee comes out smoother than French press which in turn is smoother than espresso or long blacks. If I do feel like an intense – wake me up now – espresso or an Aussie style long black I have a Gaggia Classic espresso machine. It’s good, but there are better ones out there. According to coffeesnobs.com.au Sunbeam makes a pretty good one.

Both drip coffee and French press need coarsely grounded beans, while espresso of course is made from fine grounds. The Sunbeam EM0480 I have is pretty good, although it’s more a fine than course grinder.

BTW, you can roast coffee beans on the Keg – http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=6600.0 which suddenly makes this post fit perfectly in this Forum :D … Maybe I’ll get around to this sometime….
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:18 pm

Are you a member of coffeesnobs Magnus? I am but not been there in a while (Mickymadrppens)

Papou, Im lucky to have a hundred acres of rainforest behind my house and it is chocked with wild K7 arabica.
So I learned how to process it on a small scale and roast it in a modified breville popcorn maker.
It is very high in caffeine on account that it is grown in understory rainforest so I buy in green beans from coffeesnobs to blend it down other wise it can give hart palpitations.

I only use a french press but would like something that can make a good cappuccino, just never got around to it
I like somewhere between a mid to dark roast or just at the point of second crack
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au

magste

Post by magste » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi Mick

I have a login (magste) but never post there. I'm not a green bean roaster ( yet..) which most up there seem to be.

It would be really fun to try your coffee. If you want to sell a couple 100g roasted beans pls PM me.

Cheers
Magnus

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle

Papou

Post by Papou » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Mick, did you say hundred acres of rainforest??..Do you have many wild Birds(winged type not two legged lol) on your block?? & what part of the country are you??.
Good Better Best
Never Let it rest
And Your better best

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Not my block, its adjoining and owned by some pom in England.
There are all sorts of birds in there and they often come out and visit my garden.
Legend has it that there are Yowies here on the northern rivers, and when I get in that forest with my 22" Ontario machete, Its easy to freak out when something is growling at you from 30 metres away and you cant see it :shock:
Its adjacent the tweed river at Terranora.
Just looked out my window to see a buff breasted banded rail and a Pheasant cuckoo strolling around.
There are millions of tiny birds of all colours that Ive never identified.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.

bodgy

Post by bodgy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Can we talk coffee, and birds, YES, we can, luv it :mrgreen: and tomatoes!
Bodgy

ImageImageImage

Papou

Post by Papou » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Would i be welcome sometime in the distant future to come take some Piccies of those Yowies n Pretty coloured Birds:)???...Will promise not to trample over your garden , Its just that i am getting to like Bird Photography and in search of Birds in their habitat..
Okay Bodgy Im having a Nice thick black greek Bravo Coffee at present and have a nice BIg Ripe Cherokee Chocolate to slice up over a thick slab of near burnt Toast later in the peace:)..
This fella here made me a tad hungry so slogged through my Tommy patch for a ripe Tomato whilst sussinghim out...
Good Better Best
Never Let it rest
And Your better best

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:34 pm

There is an entire Northern rivers coldren , An acient volcano that was the largest in the world. There are thousands of square miles of untouched sub tropical forest and is well worth a visit from a crafty photographer. Ive been here six years and Ive still not seen it all.
The good stuff is on the scienic rim :wink:

fivegallon

Post by fivegallon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:23 pm

CoffeeSnobs is fantastic for either green or brown beans, prices are good, service is sensational. I've been buying from there for some time now

magste

Post by magste » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:29 pm

Didn't know they also sold roasted beans. Maybe something to look into.. ;)
Magnus

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle

fivegallon

Post by fivegallon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:40 pm

Their "espresso wow" is one that i go back for occasionally and buy roasted as its not sold green. It is one of my all-time favourites

Some roasting pics:

titch

Post by titch » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:44 pm

What sort of grinder do you lot use ?
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch

fivegallon

Post by fivegallon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:47 pm

And some from the other roaster: