Q'n with the lid down

Any general items, polls
kegga

Q'n with the lid down

Post by kegga » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:45 am

Hi all.
I've read on this forum a couple of times that q'n with the lid down improves the flavour.

I'm in the process of building a uds with an option of raising the fire basket to a suitable height for grilling.
My question is - if I can control the temp enough to grill with the lid on, will that too improve the flavour, or is it something to do with webers and maybe flavour bars?

Cheers

kegga
beer'n'q mmmmm

bbqmad

Re: Q'n with the lid down

Post by bbqmad » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:15 pm

Hey Kegga

i belive any q'ing is better with the lid down buddy a lot of the flavour we all love with grilling is from the smoke being trapped around the meat and i belive it keeps it moist.

Back when i had crappy gas grills / bbq's i still cooked with the lid down, now that a have a genesis e320 the steaks ect come of there beautiful - but i still think lid down everytime with any machine / beast.

Glen
If we weren't supposed to eat animals then why do they taste so good
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain

Smokey

Re: Q'n with the lid down

Post by Smokey » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:26 pm

Depending on how many drums you can get, You may be able to make the UDS in sections like a WSM
That way you can leave the fire where it is, Remove the top and place the grill on a lower section.
From what Ive worked out, and Im going to build one, Is you will nee two drums to do this.
This is because the drum sections will need a male and female join for it to all stack up and sit pretty.
Thats my plan anyway :wink:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au