Countdown to the end of the forum

Any general items, polls
12x7

Countdown to the end of the forum

Post by 12x7 »

1 March 2024 - Davo can no longer access Admin.

How long will the forum last?

Will this forum be the last bbq forum standing from the bbq forum glory days?

The only old BBQ forum in Australia is the Weber forum. Which will be the winner?

Any bets?

It will be close - Weber has a strong loyal following.

This forum has lots of ads so it looks like it is self funding. Will money or loyal following win?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Countdown to the end of the forum

Post by Davo »

It'll still be up here until Google adds stop paying to host it. It must be paying heaps and be on automatic because Paul hasn't been on here in ages, getting close to a Year and hosting costs arn't cheap so I don't know the arrangement. I sent him the Forbidden sign i got and he said i have no idea. You know what... I think he has sold his platform with the revenue from the adverts and whoever has bought this forum has decided that he didn't want me in admin anymore....maybe it's just the platform and maybe it'll be that none of us can sign in anymore and the entire platform may be changed in the future and all posts and everything maybe be deleted or something.......I don't know, i'm guessing, just a conspiracy theory. Oh well whatever is happening, all things come to an end eventually.....maybe it's for the best.

This is what i get when I try to sign into admin:
Forbidden
Access to this resource on the server is denied!

Maybe he didn't pay them and this forum could just go vamoosh into thin air :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shigatta ga nai ne!! = Japanese for oh well....can't be helped, can it!!

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Why sell the forum if you don't have to do anything to get paid for bots reading posts and generating dollars for no effort?

This is still alive. https://www.aussiebbq.info which I think was created in 2007??
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Heck I don't know but Paul is not fussed on it......maybe he's passed it on to someone else as it earns revenue from adverts....but on saying that, I always thought those adds had to be clicked on to generate revenue, so if no-one is here, how do they make money?

All I know they have increasingly taken over to the point where it's painful even trying to view anything on here.

So next week I will sign out for good, then I'll delete this forum from my computer and my mobile hopefully never having to look at it anymore.

Thanks for coming here every now n then....but it'll be no point anymore. Even if the forum is still online....there'll be nobody manning anymore.

I was happy just to go in the backroom and get rid of the spammers joining up....but i can't do that anymore as I've been locked out....by who or what....no idea!!

See you over of SF&F

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Happy Easter!
Easter-Bbbq.jpg
Easter-Bbbq.jpg (161.37 KiB) Viewed 200 times

The countdown continues!

I wonder how long the forum will last without an admin?
Cobblerdave

Post by Cobblerdave »

Gday
The oldest aussiecue forum is still on pro boards. It was not used and was getting spam. I got rid of my log in because of that. Someone I’m saying proboards has got rid of the spam and the forum now read only no way of joining but with adds. So I recon the adds pay to preserve the content.
Wouldn’t be surprised if the same thing was happening here. No one to except anyone or thing joining should be no spam. The adds pay for the content and probably some profit.
Just my take on things
Regards Dave
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Cobblerdave wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:23 pm Gday
So I recon the adds pay to preserve the content.
Wouldn’t be surprised if the same thing was happening here.
Good point.
It might not be a bad thing that the ads pay for the forum to be self sustaining as it has played a big part of Aussie BBQ history.
Many of the old forums I used to visit have gone to digital death.
chriso

Post by chriso »

Was just googling pellet grills and came across an old post here. I haven't used this forum in forever but used to spend a fair bit of time here. I guess Facebook groups killed off forums - it's great the FB groups are so active but there's so many repetitive posts which forums were great at preventing.

I still remember the old feuds here between Urbangriller and the Yoder guy. And Shayne (i think) who contributed so much before cracking the shits and deleting all his posts and leaving over something. I remember he did some interesting stuff with cold smoking by connecting his weber kettle to his GA. Still have someone's peri peri chicken recipe saved somewhere which blew me away when I first tried it.

I learnt a heap about bbq from this forum!