10 years ago

Any general items, polls
the dane

10 years ago

Post by the dane »

I posted my first ever snake on the weber 10 years ago on this forum. Back in the day when this was the best barbecue forum ever.. Haha for some reason I cannot attach photos. From memory everyone had to have the tapatalk app. That's probably why I can't attach a photos
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Re: 10 years ago

Post by Lovey »

G'day Dane,
this forum certainly has been quiet of late, but it's not prime BBQ season.
To attach a photo through the desktop version, click on the 'attachments' tab under the reply box. It just has to be a small photo to upoload though.
Screenshot 2023-07-23 110425.png
Screenshot 2023-07-23 110425.png (57.65 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
All the best,
Steve
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah the Photos can only be no more than 256kb and when we were able to do this, it was too late for this forum, many had moved on but we tried to save having to use Tapatalk (is that still around?) and a replacement for Photobucket which as you know, took away all the pics of the forum members and left many big holes in the forum. I was lucky, I heard what they were doing early and got in and downloaded all my photos from their website to my computer and never went back.....they wrote me an email and I promptly told them to shove their stupid website up where the sun don't shine and told them what arseholes they were for destroying many forums when they closed off 3rd party sharing.

Approximately 10 years ago is when the influx of Pellet cookers came onto the market, especially Yoder and this forum went apeshit over the marketing of the Importer. It was the beginning of the demise of this forum unfortunately, I had to go to Japan for my FIL's funeral and I couldn't get to the internet much except if I found an internet cafe somewhere as wifi wasn't around in Japan back then and when i was able to get in here, there was a lot of fighting going on and I could see the forum imploding or exploding...i wasn't sure which :lol:

Anyway....it's become a ghost town now, i check on it from time to time but not much to do here anymore....end of an era!!
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Cobblerdave

Post by Cobblerdave »

G’day
I was just a new member of the forum then and it was a bit confusing with members suddenly disappearing and yanking thier content. ( it’s my bat and ball and I’m going home! ). I was more than a bit confused and had no idea of the politics and frankly didn’t care …. I was here to BBQ. All the pics yanked that was hard, all that history down the toilet.
Well all types of forums are so much quieter. It’s a Facebook world so I’m seeing people join various forum ask a question, get an answer and leave no even a thank you. And certainly not adding to the content. Now that’s sad. But it is what it is…. I’ll just except it and move forward
Regards Dave
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

G'day Cobblerdave,
I don't think it was members yanking their content (unless you have moderator privileges, you can't just delete posts) the photobucket debacle left lots of holes in the forum where the photos used to be. Davo and I went through most of the forum and removed a heap of posts where the photos used to be, just to tidy the place up a bit.
Hope that helps,
Steve.
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Yes was VERY different back in 2012 when I started importing Yoder Smokers & BBQr's Delight Pellets from America into Australia. I made some absolute life long friends from this forum as well as a couple of non friends, but thats life.
Back in the early days 2012/2013 for every Yoder Offset I sold, I sold one Yoder pellet BBQ. Today for every Yoder Offset I sell, I sell easily over one hundred Yoder pellet BBQs.
The curve going up hasnt stopped even though International shipping got to over 3 times the price in Covid and our AUD is in decline.
What a blast!
Yes Facebook groups have taken over, but I still have a lot of fond memories about this forum.
Cheers Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Grill Pro Australia wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:11 pm Yes was VERY different back in 2012 when I started importing Yoder Smokers & BBQr's Delight Pellets from America into Australia. I made some absolute life long friends from this forum as well as a couple of non friends, but thats life.
Back in the early days 2012/2013 for every Yoder Offset I sold, I sold one Yoder pellet BBQ. Today for every Yoder Offset I sell, I sell easily over one hundred Yoder pellet BBQs.
The curve going up hasnt stopped even though International shipping got to over 3 times the price in Covid and our AUD is in decline.
What a blast!
Yes Facebook groups have taken over, but I still have a lot of fond memories about this forum.
Cheers Dave
G'day Grillpro Dave, Yes there were a lot of upsides as well as downsides and whilst it was a huge shock as to the way the forum reacted to you and Yoder considering that at the time, Pellet cookers and all different types of cookers were in their infancy in this Country, that they blew up over 1 brand.
Despite this, i had always felt the bullying towards you and your product was over the top even from the likes of my Admin Colleague Capt. Cook then the antics that came over him against you and Beaver, I still to this day, couldn't believe what was to eventuate in this forum. I still think I done the right thing about trying to protect you from the bullying but it backfired for me and the forum. It was extremely stressful at the time, causing me to step back for a while at times, i lost many nights sleep over what had happened here......oh well...it was good while it lasted...nobody really gives a shit about this forum much anymore otherwise they'd try to help me keep it going which is very difficult without the wealth of experience and knowledge that left here.

This forum had seen all the changes from the humble Weber Kettle that many had cut their teeth on, to pellet cookers, to Komados etc , we seen the onset of FB forums that have absolutely no archives, there's still 15 years of archive posts here that you can find from way back then, can't get that with FB.

As you know Dave, we've had members from here that successfully competed in US Comps, guys like Edgy and Jester. the Comps here were great but I'm thinking it's gotten too big for me now and too crowded with Meatstock. I live in Albury NSW now and I believe that regional comps might be a start up in the Murray river region of Albury-Wodonga soon. I haven't had much an opportunity to get involved yet but i may do. I've been invited to give a bit of a talk about my involvement and watching the ABA get up and running in Australia and about the first Comps that were run as BBQ Wars.

Anyway Dave, after all that, I'm really glad that the investment you had with Yoder has really been successful for you, much more so than any other Pellet and Offset brand out there, your persistence and perseverance is what has made you successful as well as having a top notch product and Australians know a great product when they see it. (well, most do anyway lol)

Hope to one day meet up with you again somewhere out in BBQ land.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5