Newbie to BBQ Smoking

Any general items, polls
80Dave

Newbie to BBQ Smoking

Post by 80Dave »

Hi,

Complete Newbie to Smoking / BBQing , I have watched some YouTube videos etc since our old weberq (GAS) is going on 15 years + (Hand me down from parents).

I have decided to go all out for a new BBQ , got an oklahoma Joes 3 in 1 combo smoker / charcoal / gas grill. I have seen a lot of videos on offset fire management etc i also got some temp probes to go with the BBQ so i can monitor the grill level temp and food temp.

My main question is the following:

Is there a recommended easier or easiest meat to smoke for a complete beginner. i.e (Pork, Beef Brisket , Chicken etc) and of course easiest cut of said meat?
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Re: Newbie to BBQ Smoking

Post by Lovey »

G'day 80Dave and welcome aboard.
I've never seen one of those units before, it sounds like it would cover most bases.

As for a choice of meat to start you on your smoking journey, you can't go past a beef chuck. It's a lot more forgiving than brisket and has a beautiful flavour. I know that brisket is often seen as the 'holy grail' of smoking, but it can be a tricky cut to get right.
Some other suggestions would be a pork collar butt/shoulder (Boston butt as they're referred to in the USA) or a lamb shoulder.

Enjoy your new toy,
Steve
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

I guess it's one of these??
https://www.oklahomajoes.com.au/smokers ... ill-combos

Since we're not probably seasoning the cooker I would suggest a chicken.

Start off with a supermarket one from Coles or a Steggles.
80Dave

Post by 80Dave »

Yes 12x7 thats the one finally arrived today asssembly tomorrow :), going to season with oil first as suggested on a few videos i have seen to help preserve it.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

To test it out, I'd suggest some Chicken Maryland pieces, they're hard to stuff up.

Maybe not to make too much smoke though and chicken absorbs smoke easily and could overdo it and make it taste bitter.

They are a nice rig, was looking at those at Bunnings the other day, they look very well built.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
80Dave

Post by 80Dave »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I have now done a few cooks on it, a few pork butts, 1 brisket, 2 beef ribs and even some direct charcoal grilling of chicken wings and some sausages.

Still trying to get the hang of offset fire Management but it is getting better with every cook :).

Think i am now officially addicted to BBQ :)
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Good to hear you're enjoying bbq'ing.

With winter approaching when it gets cooler it's a great feeling being able to cook outside due to the warmth from the bbq.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

12 x 7

Sent 80Dave a pms to send him to SF&F but he hasn't read it yet.

I'm not doing anything more on here except to let ppl know to go elsewhere.

I've given up

Paulr hasn't bothered to sign in since 2nd January and then he did nothing.

I might go into the admin room and ban myself from coming in here :lol:
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5