Benchtop for bbq kitchen

Any general items, polls
Little_o

Benchtop for bbq kitchen

Post by Little_o »

Hi everyone,

Still in our planning stages, but looking for options for benchtops for the outdoor kitchen. Apparently the benchtop needs to be heat resistant for the bbq, so the section that will hold the built in.

Anyone know much about using a hardwood timber? Is that sufficient? Apparently most engineered stones aren’t warrantied for it, only one brand dekton but it’s on the $$$ side. Looking at sourcing a granite but I’d rather timber if we can.

Any idea?
titch

Re: Benchtop for bbq kitchen

Post by titch »

A link to the Built in that your looking at would be good, is it Gas or solid fuel?
You can line timber with cement sheet or tiles if its Gas for the built in section
Cheers
Titch
Little_o

Post by Little_o »

Just looking at the Webber q built in so it has a stainless surround. https://www.weberbbq.com.au/weber-q/built-in/
Do you think a hardwood wouldn’t provide enough protection? The cupboards will be compact laminate which I’m pretty sure is resistant too.
titch

Post by titch »

Never knew Weber did Q series built in, looks great, read there spec sheet, I reckon you would be good to go.
But, be aware of oil splatter etc, your the one cleaning it.
Cheers
Titch
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Little_o wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:07 pm ....

... the benchtop needs to be heat resistant for the bbq, so the section that will hold the built in.

I'd suggest you get the spec sheet for the BBQ you're looking at and check the built in space and heat requirements. All built in BBQs have specifications for gap distances for airflow and heat transfer.

As titch mentions, think about cooking splatter and how you'll clean it. Hardwood might look awesome, but cooking splatter build up into the timber grain will be a PITA to clean.