Its Quiet on this Board

Any general items, polls
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Its Quiet on this Board

Post by Davo »

nic0 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:11 pm Did a heap of smoking over Xmas but didn't take many pictures. Had both the offset and pellet grill going Xmas eve. Did brisket and ribs in the offset and the turkey in the pellet grill. Will definitely start posting on here a bit more often.
Decided I will not be continuing on this forum, so if you want an active BBQ forum, lots of knowledge, easy to put pics on modern forum, go to https://www.smokefireandfood.com/forum/

You'll learn heaps.

Cheers

Davo

Former Admin and Moderator of this ghost town
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
OzPitman

Post by OzPitman »

Ahh ok. Fair enough then, if that joints got a good group then I'll head there if most have left here.

Is a shame, maybe I'll see U there mate
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

OzPitman wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:19 pm Ahh ok. Fair enough then, if that joints got a good group then I'll head there if most have left here.

Is a shame, maybe I'll see U there mate
Yes it's for the best and you can get better help over there. I also wrote you a PM explaining why.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

CELEBRATING this post's 4th birthday!
The forum is still hanging in there

ton-ton-friends-lets-celebrate.gif
ton-ton-friends-lets-celebrate.gif (51.2 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Nah...it's an illusion....the entire forum is.... :lol:
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif
the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif (132.08 KiB) Viewed 2813 times
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

The forum is still around!

I'm beginning to wonder will this forum be one of the last of the general topic BBQ forums left? Not just in Australia but the world.

Looking for old content lots of forum and other sources no longer exist.

Hard core product based forums such as Weber and Big Green Egg are still kicking along.

Lots of good BBQ history on this forum covering what I would say is heyday of BBQ in Australia.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Well I tried to get people interested in trying to build this one back up but nobody was so I haven't bothered any longer.......

too many adverts here now, looks like Paul has made this into another little side hustle for google adds money.....why else would you want this forum still going when nobody uses it anymore.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Davo wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:52 pm Well I tried to get people interested in trying to build this one back up but nobody was so I haven't bothered any longer.......

Davo
Trying to rebuild any forum is a bit of a dead end, not just this one.

BBQ forums and Facebook pages are dying all over the place which makes this forum a bit of a paradox.

I'm guessing with the ads etc just having this forum up generates enough to cover the running costs. That fact means this forum is self sufficent and will go ahead when overs will dissappear as they cost the owner money.

I'm guessing with how long years you have been admin for this forum that you have the proud title of the longest bbq forum admin in Australia!
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Could possibly be, I've been admin here since I joined in 2008 along with Captain Cook when we were co-ersed from the Weber Bullet Bulletin Board by Paulr as he had a WSM and was a member there too and I eventually bought the WSM from him as he bought a Komodo Komado.

Just to think it took one bloke to come on here as a member, then as a Pellet cooker marketer and made the entire forum go apeshit. There was great times to be had here back then.

Facebook ended up taking over from traditional forums like these only for quick gratification and the ease to put up photos.....

But facebook groups don't seem to have as much control as forums. A mate of mine has started quite a few Adventure motorcycle groups here in Australia and he's forever kicking off dickheads who can't control their keyboard antics.

But even though I'm still an admin here, I only allow or disallow new members here now, amazing how many still try and sighn up but nobody posts much except you and I lol. I doubt we'll ever get a new audience anymore.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Woohoo Davo! 15 years as Admin! Longest serving BBQ Forum Admin in OZ!

I tried to add a more flashy image but you can only do so much with the small file size :(
15 years.png
15 years.png (247.93 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Thankyou 12 x 7 (wish i knew your real name)

I appreciate this acknowledgement....really I do, probably the only time in 15 years :lol:

But my workload here in now caretaker mode....that's about all..... just keeping the Ruskies out :mrgreen:

Paul r hasn't even bothered to poke his head in since March. He gets the revenue from the adverts and I get SFA....why do I do it....I have no idea!!

Dunno if I'll be around on this Earth in another 15 years.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

There's a good chance that this forum might be around in 5 years time and there will a 20 years celebration for you.

Here's my thoughts.

The 'exodus' occurred around 2015 (8 years ago) and we saw 5? breakaway forums which only one of them still remain.

This post started in 2019 @4 years ago where basically you, me, titch and cobberdave would post every now and then.

I looked up the definition of vintage and it was 20 years or more. So if you're still the admin, even just doing caretaker you will have the honour of being vintage!
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Vintage???? Hahaha....I thought I was already vintage.....perhaps even historic or prehistoric .... even the wife calls me Oji-san which means old man in Japanese :lol: :lol:
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Merry Christmas!
christmas 1.gif
christmas 1.gif (53.52 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
The forum hangs on for another year!