Its Quiet on this Board

Any general items, polls
Smokey

Re: Its Quiet on this Board

Post by Smokey »

One will pop up Davo,
It's interesting to note that there truly was some black hart ass holes that had the run of this forum. They are all moved on to another place and doing well.
The good thing about that is for here, "This place" is you get to restart.
Paulr , This is directed at you. Can you not see your forum going ass up? Going from what was once worth a few dollars to not even bus fair?.
You started this forum as a computer course homework task. How do you feel about the community that joined?
Why wont you do the honorable thing and pass the forum codes on to someone who cares?
I have to say straight up, Because of this, I don't think very highly of you at all. Nothing you have done or said has ever made me think highly of you, or in fact "One of us". You have me totally perplexed by your inability to give a shit. Belt up man and stop lying to these well meaning people!
Last edited by Lovey on Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the 'F-bomb'
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

nah....i could not take over...i just don't have the knowledge needed.....and perhaps not the motivation i once had Mick.
i just do the little bit here n there now....one thing about ghost towns....they're easy to keep clean :lol:
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
titch

Post by titch »

Davo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:16 pm nah....i could not take over...i just don't have the knowledge needed.....and perhaps not the motivation i once had Mick.
i just do the little bit here n there now....one thing about ghost towns....they're easy to keep clean :lol:
Well!
If your bored I could, you Know, do stuff to keep you Busy :D
Cheers
Titch
gourmetgalaxy

Post by gourmetgalaxy »

Very well put @smokey!....in regards to the owner Paulr.
:P
Last edited by gourmetgalaxy on Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

titch wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:54 am
Davo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:16 pm nah....i could not take over...i just don't have the knowledge needed.....and perhaps not the motivation i once had Mick.
Well!
If your bored I could, you Know, do stuff to keep you Busy :D
:lol: :lol: i'm sure you could Titch
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Unzippy

Post by Unzippy »

Just a thought from a newbie import - while it's a bit quiet, would it be worth consolidating some of the sub forums?

Would help make the place look busier rather than diluting the posts across the many boards. Hopefully that would encourage more posts?

Cheers, Dave.
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Bill44 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:52 am I'll tell the truth that everyone is walking around. This great forum was rooted because the owner of the forum let a mate drown the place pushing his product. This led to faction fights and the place virtually disintegrated because people like me who got sick of the bullshit went to other places where this product wasn't rammed down your throat on every new thread that someone opened. i just drop by now and then to see what is smouldering in the ruins.
Davo is a great bloke and I don't know why he still worries about this place after all the work he put in was ruined by the owner who in all my time on this place never seemed to give a stuff what happened.
Well said Bill :wink:

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Unzippy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:19 pm Just a thought from a newbie import - while it's a bit quiet, would it be worth consolidating some of the sub forums?

Would help make the place look busier rather than diluting the posts across the many boards. Hopefully that would encourage more posts?

Cheers, Dave.
Good suggestions Dave however I had already deleted or merged some topics and forums and have cleaned the board up with some help from Lovey who is on hols in Japan right now (lucky bugger) I might have another look to see what more can be condensed but before I do anything, I'd like to hear other Opinions...is less is more? Do you think this forum should look smaller.
I'm kind of in the mind that if it's condensed too much, it might look as though nothing much is here....Opinions????

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

shayneh2006 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:59 pm
Bill44 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:52 am I'll tell the truth that everyone is walking around. This great forum was rooted because the owner of the forum let a mate drown the place pushing his product. This led to faction fights and the place virtually disintegrated because people like me who got sick of the bullshit went to other places where this product wasn't rammed down your throat on every new thread that someone opened. i just drop by now and then to see what is smouldering in the ruins.
Davo is a great bloke and I don't know why he still worries about this place after all the work he put in was ruined by the owner who in all my time on this place never seemed to give a stuff what happened.
Well said Bill :wink:
OMIGOSH.....Shane is still here :lol: thought I was imagining it for a while.

Yep what Bill said was true but we have to get over that crap now and move on....sure enough we don't have the talent we had before but hopefully the forum can still survive....so Shane....would you like to be part of the rebuilding? It would be great to have you back here.
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Davo wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:15 pm so Shane....would you like to be part of the rebuilding?
Hey Davo....

Fairdinkum, it is only by chance I visited here as I received a PM from here and wanted to know what its content was, then decided to pop my head in to see whats been going on here...... Seems very coincidental that some other old members were here also today lol......

I have not visited this forum in years, not to lurk even....... Nor do I use or visit any other BBQ related forum these days. I still have the passion for BBQ and all things cooking, not that that will ever change any time soon lol.....

Your suggestion about the rebuilding the forum starts a fire within...... Not a fire of heat and hate but rather, well you know....... :idea: :),,,, but its sad to say, I have not changed my view from all those years back when I was very active here, and about the forum owner sitting back with arse on hands doing nothing, while good honest guys sacrificed their free time (me too once remember :oops: ), running the show for him and dealing with all the stress and headaches that's goes along with it.

Now briefly here I am, back again and after looking around here and reading earlier posts in this thread, seems like nothing has changed RE; PaulR........ I am very supprised to see you here Davo, sailing the ship again for him...... :cry:

The opening thread title "Its Quiet on this Board", sad to say is very true...... It once was a fun place to be

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

shayneh2006 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:24 pm
Davo wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:15 pm so Shane....would you like to be part of the rebuilding?
Hey Davo....

Fairdinkum, it is only by chance I visited here as I received a PM from here and wanted to know what its content was, then decided to pop my head in to see whats been going on here...... Seems very coincidental that some other old members were here also today lol......

I have not visited this forum in years, not to lurk even....... Nor do I use or visit any other BBQ related forum these days. I still have the passion for BBQ and all things cooking, not that that will ever change any time soon lol.....

Your suggestion about the rebuilding the forum starts a fire within...... Not a fire of heat and hate but rather, well you know....... :idea: :),,,, but its sad to say, I have not changed my view from all those years back when I was very active here, and about the forum owner sitting back with arse on hands doing nothing, while good honest guys sacrificed their free time (me too once remember :oops: ), running the show for him and dealing with all the stress and headaches that's goes along with it.

Now briefly here I am, back again and after looking around here and reading earlier posts in this thread, seems like nothing has changed RE; PaulR........ I am very supprised to see you here Davo, sailing the ship again for him...... :cry:

The opening thread title "Its Quiet on this Board", sad to say is very true...... It once was a fun place to be
Yeah will I ever learn? lol

Yeah well what can I say about the owner, he's really a nice bloke but has zero interest in this joint....nothing has changed from the beginning Shane...he might put out the occasional post but nothing of substance or contributing to the actual forum.

I can tell you that i'm in 2 minds...keep it going or just walk away...which I tried to do many times as you know....I tried to get Paul to close the forum down for new memberships not long ago and just have it here as an archive forum...but he wanted to keep it going...probably to keep sucking the money from google adds..I don't know!!
Depends on the motivations of our current members whether or not to continue.....i'll make that call soon I think.

As for BBQ...I don't do anywhere as much as I used to, besides cutting down on excess meat as I ain't getting any younger but was getting very rounder, most the time they are just sitting in the yard with the covers on. I get to use them occasionally but have shed much gear in the past few years, only have a Q320, my Performer and a Jumbo Joe...that's it!! I bought the Jumbo Joe after selling the WSM last year.

It was a great place to be many moons ago, better than any man shed....but those days have long gone. You and I had a great working relationship here but yes, we were both put under a lot of stress and pressure and as you say, it was all voluntarily done....I've never got nothing for managing this place since it's been going....so don't really expect anything.

But it's great you popped your head in Shane...I was driving my bus past the broadway shopping centre a few Months back and I got to thinking about you working up there in those clock towers...thinking..wonder what has happened to Shane these days...I was surprised to see you pop in..so glad you remembered your password lol.

Anyway Shane...keep well mate...hope you keep popping in from time to time.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

I echo a lot of the thoughts that have already been posted and I've had a few conversations with Davo in the past in relation to the board, and how it got to where it is today.
Here's some of my random, rambling thoughts thus far.

- I mean this with no disrespect to PaulR, but this forum is not about the owner, it's about the members and what we wish to contribute to it. The owner just provides (pays for) the stage for all of us to perform on for each other.
- If nothing is put in, nothing can come out, ie if no one posts, there's nothing to read.
- I also think the board could do with a bit of a trim. Like me, it’s gotten fatter as the years have passed. Where the trimming needs doing is the $64 question though.
- One of the greatest features of this forum (apart from the members) is the vast knowledge base stored here. Finding it can be a pain sometimes, which ties in with the above point.
- This vast knowledge base came from vastly knowledgeable people, who for various reasons, don’t visit here as often as they used to. Some of them still pop in from time to time, which is great, but a community cannot continually burden a few people to continue to do all of the work for them.
- A lot of water has gone under the bridge, which also needed repairing. What’s happened has happened and no one can turn back the hands of time. We can either keep looking back, lamenting and being held back by the ‘troubled times’, or move forward without forgetting the mistakes of the past.
- Some measures have already been put in place to try and avoid a repeat of the ‘troubled times’.

That’s about it for now, my guts are rumbling. Please feel free to discuss any/all of the points that I’ve made and you can always PM me if you like.
All the best,
Steve.
Unzippy

Post by Unzippy »

Lovey wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:04 pm - I also think the board could do with a bit of a trim. Like me, it’s gotten fatter as the years have passed. Where the trimming needs doing is the $64 question though.
(IMO) chop what you have down to:

"OZ BBQ GENERAL"
Forum Welcome
BBQ General

"BBQ TYPES"
Gas
Charcoal
Wood

"NON BBQ"
The Tin Shed

I think that would encourage more posting by virtue of making it look busier.

Not quite sure how to handle the defunct sub forums. Obviously don't delete them!
Maybe stick them all in one sub board called 'archive' and lock them. That way they are there for searching purposes and can be unlocked, as and when.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Ok Guys,

I have trimmed the top forum section but I'm trying to think how I can arrange all the other sub forums into an archive view only.
But wouldn't that be too restrictive?

Komado can possible merged into Charcoal?

Would woodpellet grills be best to combine with wood because even though the pellet is a by-product of wood, it has been produced into a pellet by using sawdust rather than the timber itself.

I want to do it right and be tidy about it.....don't want it to be a rush job.

DAVO
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

Ha ha, I wondered where some of the top section had gone when I checked in tonight.

My thoughts on trimming down the equipment section would be to try and group by fuel type,

- gas (includes gas smokers)
- wood (including pellets, camp fire, offsets, WFO's)
- charcoal (kettles, kamados, portables like WGA and smokey joe)
- electric (electric smokers, electric pizza ovens)

The recipe and cooking section could be a bit harder, but I'll have a think about it over the next few days.

All the best,
Steve.