Kamado Joe vs Char Griller Akorn Kooker

Any general items, polls
Gibboj

Kamado Joe vs Char Griller Akorn Kooker

Post by Gibboj »

Looking for advice on a first time kamado cooker for my husband (Christmas present). After some research, I quite like the Kamado Joe Classic, but today I came across the Char Griller Akorn Charcoal Cooker (sold at Bunnings) for half the price of the Kamado Joe. We’re new to this charcoal thing, and it will mainly be Day to day cooking for a family of four & ocassional entertaining (nothing big). Is it worth paying the big bucks on a Kamado Joe? Or do you get what you pay for?
12x7

Re: Kamado Joe vs Char Griller Akorn Kooker

Post by 12x7 »

If your new to Kamado have a look at the Kamado 101 post I wrote.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11471&start=15#p150056

There's lot of videos in the post. If you can't see them, try looking at the post using a browser like Windows Explorer.

I own a Kamado Joe and an Akorn.

Both are good, both cook great food.

If your new to charcoal BBQ, get an Akorn. Use the extra cash to buy some nice steaks, decent charcoal etc with the change. A big mistake I see people make is spend heaps on their BBQ and cook on it cheap meat etc. Basically they might as well have cooked it using a $100 Bunnings special or on the kitchen stove.

If you have been cooking with charcoal for awhile, consider the Kamado Joe.

There is a difference in the way food cooks in a metal Kamado (Akorn) and a ceramic Kamado (KJ).
Gibboj

Re: Kamado Joe vs Char Griller Akorn Kooker

Post by Gibboj »

Thank you greatly! This info has been awesome... very informative! I’m actually even thinking a Weber Kettle could satisfy our BBQing needs too and be a good introduction to charcoal cooking), as they have awesome reviews (and longevity). Will keep researching but I’m thinking Akorn or Weber Kettle. I saw your comparison article so will give that another read too. Very helpful!