What's your dream outdoor kitchen?

Any general items, polls
DodgySheep

What's your dream outdoor kitchen?

Post by DodgySheep »

Hi! I've been away for a while but thought I'd come back and start posting again.

We've put in an offer on a decent sized block with a view to getting an architect to design a long term house (forever house sounds a bit, you know, lame). The missus has her priorities (walk-in wardrobes and dressing rooms :? ) but I am hopefully going to get the option for the outdoor kitchen that I want. I thought there was a thread on here about posters' own out door efforts (some looked great) but I can't find it. So what would you go for? Any burning desires? I figure a built-in pizza oven (which?!), a built in gas BBQ (I love Weber though some of their proper full-on things cost $2-5k but you'd hope would be amazing) along with work top, sink and preferably an under-work-top bar fridge. Anything I'm missing? What would you do?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: What's your dream outdoor kitchen?

Post by Davo »

OMG Dodgy.....the sky's the limit....i'd love to spend your money :mrgreen:
There's a lot to consider when designing an outdoor kitchen from scratch.
First you need to work on a budget figure +/- say 20%
Next think seriously about what you 're likely to cook regularly.
Think about a built in Komado which will cover so many types of cooking experiences including pizzas.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Michael_Dunn

Post by Michael_Dunn »

Unzippy

Post by Unzippy »

Australia = so shade!
Sink
Beer fridge
Budgetburner

Post by Budgetburner »

As already suggested, it's upto you and your imagination so long as you have enough budget for it. There is a few threads about on the forum from a while back with some peoples outdoor kitchens. Here's a link to when we did ours years back viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11507

Still looks the same and we enjoy it as much as ever, one of the best things we have done and certainly one we have enjoyed the most. Just don;t rush into it, give it a lot of thought for a while first so you know what you would like most and include your partner as much as possible, think about what type of cooking you will enjoy (wood/charcoal/gas) and where you weather comes from etc as well as designs that make best use of space and protect from weather....
Cheers
Budgetburner
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Just a couple of thoughts, ideas, suggestions:

- don't just take the builders price for the cabinets etc. Talk to both kitchen places and shop fitters. Shop fitters who do commercial kitchens often get good pricing on quality cabinets etc.

- consider the cleaning. How easy to give the bbq a good clean?

- linked with cleaning, is the storage area water proof? What about fridge and power etc.

- also consider the floor, if cooking in same spot all the time, you may want to consider a mat or floor treatment that can handle the fat spits etc.

- I would seriously consider an outdoor kitchen pre fabricated, like say the Gasmate, Bull, Bluetongue or even Eurogrille models. Keep your eye on Gray's online too.

Now. As for inclusions? Hmmm, 316 stainless steel if budget no issue for BBQ and counter etc. I'd have bar fridge and sink, plus prep area, plus under cabinet bin, plumbed LPG to large remote cylinder, hooded BBQ with rotisserie and charcoal conversion. Full stainless steel cooking plates grill etc and a pizza stone conversion plate. (I wouldn't do a separate pizza oven)

As for layout, I'd love to have the bbq and kitchen face the table and seating, rather than the traditional 'along the wall' style.

Also a good rangehood / extraction fan plus plenty of lights / directional lighting etc.

And, a good outdoor TV to watch the cricket or tennis or golf etc while cooking.

What your budget?
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

BBQ-Dad wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:33 pm ...

As for layout, I'd love to have the bbq and kitchen face the table and seating, rather than the traditional 'along the wall' style.

I knew I had seen a good picture / set up like this (i.e. BBQ area facing dining area, rather than 'along a wall' style)

See here: https://stainlesssteelgallery.com.au/gallery/
Last edited by Lovey on Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed broken link.