RED RED MEAT

Any general items, polls
Davo
Forum Administrator

RED RED MEAT

Post by Davo » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi folks,

I was going to put this thread into the Beef & lamb section but I am looking for some feedback here.
I was checking out a few BBQ Pics on the TVWB & other BBQ websites the other day where a lot of the guys show their BBQ results and often have beef steaks that have just come off the grill and then sliced to show the insides.

Now, I know It's kinda trendy these days to have some colour showing in your meats but Bloody hell!! I'm sure some of those steaks are still Moo-ing.
Cooking meat to rare/medium rare doesn't appeal to me and I'm sure it can't be good to be eating almost raw meat like that. Well it looks like it's near raw meat.
The Americans really seem to go for this style where-as I've been bought up to have no colour other than grey in the middle although I have lightened up a little and don't mind a mild pinkish colour but definately not RED :?
A lot of these cooking shows on TV like to have their meat RED in the middle so it'd look flash but are they actually sending the wrong message to the public that it's ok to eat RED RED MEAT?

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:34 pm

Yes, it is more than OK to eat red red meat, remember your ancestry, we ate meat before we mastered fire, and that was scavenged (already dead and rotting) before we learned to hunt. In fact most of the dietary problems we have today come from eating cooked foods. Raw foods come with the enzymes needed to break them down, the more you cook food the more enzymes you destroy and the harder it is to digest. In the case of meat the enzymes break (denature) the protein strings releasing the juices and tenderising the meat (we know this as ageing).

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

Old Dave

Red Meat

Post by Old Dave » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:45 pm

Many of us in the States like our meat either rare or medium rare.

You just can't beat a nice ribeye cooked over charcoal to about medium rare.

Now those are some juicy steaks.

Good Stuff!!
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs BBQ Team
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com

paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:29 pm

Davo, mate....

You shouldn't cook your meat rare....it should be BLUE! (as in Aussie Blue).
Meat is beautiful when it's rare (if you have the right piece of meat) no health risks I'm aware of with the quality control here in Oz....

I should've made picture of last nights cook (1 mm of cooked meat and the rest gloriously red) mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.

Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:02 pm

Cook it on the Q for 2 1/2 minutes a side, it is medium but more tender than rare. Such is the virtue of the Q.

Regards
Phil aka Captain Cook

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:24 pm

Awesome looking steaks there Old Dave....( i hate calling people 'Old' )

Might be some time before i can cook med-rare just after the Mooo-ing stage :lol: I will give it a go one day though just incase I'm missing something.

Phil....I've joined the Q220 brigade mate.....see my post in Portable catagory.
Can't wait for the first cook on it.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody » Fri May 01, 2009 6:31 am

hey, i went to a snisslers a few years back.

and after being asked how i wanted it cooked. and telling him "over a flame" . he then asked how i would like it. "on a plate" i say to him.....................anyhow, we finally get to bit about rair, medium, well done. and all that.....so i told him i would like it blue........mate, he took a couple of steps back as if he was about to job me

....so i explaned "put a bullit in it's head wipe it's butt and chuck it on a plate..........never again will i do this in a family chain resturaunt the bloody thing was still frozen in the middle

.....i sent it back and ordered the fish instead.

trust only in yourself when it comes to blue steak.......remember to bring it to room temperature before grilling

peace...........kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo » Fri May 01, 2009 5:37 pm

Jeez you're a tough customer Kevin :lol:

Usually when I go to a steakhouse which is RARE (get it :wink: ) I normally ask for welldone so that I kinda play it safe and it's usually a little on either side of pink but never red.

As long as the damn thing doesn't start Moooo-ing :lol:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo » Fri May 01, 2009 5:39 pm

Oops..correction on my last post..I always ask for MED-WELL so that it'll usally come out a little either way.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody » Fri May 01, 2009 6:19 pm

advice that i wish i had back then.

i was not showing orf mind you .......it is the way i prefer good steak to be, in that cooked condition it still has most of the wonderfull juices that we loose due to grilling.

saw a progamme on food network..............the owner of the resturaunt that was voted the best in the world , is a bit of a mad scientist when it comes to food (preping cooking and presentation)........anyhow, he did this thing with steak. showed just how much of the juices were lost during the progressive stages of grilling......even after it was so called sealed.

amazing, he cooked it to rare, it lost about 10% of it's weight due to loss of juices............

the way he got around this.....as i understood the proccess, was he bought a whole rib (bones in) then blow torched it with one of those mini flame throwers, then PUT IT IN AN INCREDIBLY LOW HEATED OVEN, and went the LOW AND SLOW for 24 hours.

after that time he cut it into individual slices, then.........grilled it over a very, very hot plate for no more than about 30 seconds per side.......looked good enough to eat i tell you.

the meat was still red inside, it appeared the juices were still there, but, it had the wonderful bark on the outside.

sorry, i can't remember the temps that the LOW and SLOW was done at m........maybe, chris could help on this part of the proccess..........and perhaps explain why he did it this way????

peace..kevin

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody » Fri May 01, 2009 6:54 pm

just rememered, the temperature that the LOW and SLOW was..............50degrees celsius.......the searing at the end was to kill any bacteria that may have survived the slow cooking.

also, this will create lots of aroma molecules when the ribose and the amino acids react together. these add to the rich flovour.

wow, the science of cooking the humble steak!!!!!!!!

peace..........kevin

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Fri May 01, 2009 8:52 pm

CommanderCody wrote: the way he got around this.....as i understood the proccess, was he bought a whole rib (bones in) then blow torched it with one of those mini flame throwers, then PUT IT IN AN INCREDIBLY LOW HEATED OVEN, and went the LOW AND SLOW for 24 hours.

after that time he cut it into individual slices, then.........grilled it over a very, very hot plate for no more than about 30 seconds per side.......looked good enough to eat i tell you.

the meat was still red inside, it appeared the juices were still there, but, it had the wonderful bark on the outside.

peace..kevin
This is exactly what I do when I'm catering.

We also do this as a lesson in BBQ school, the cook takes seven hours (as long as the full day class is), never letting the temp get beyond 66C because at that temp the juice inside each cell expands to the point the cell bursts and the juices escape, then we cut it from the bone and taste it as roast beef, then cut a nice thick slab and sear both sides before serving.....Awesome! It is one of the killer lessons in BBQ school!

Let it rest and you will get a uniform light pink colour and it will not leak blood and juices because you have never let it get to the point that the cells burst...the juices are trapped in the meat.....YUM!

For a look at a standing rib done this way check my post in Tips and Techniques: viewtopic.php?t=119

also read the fact sheets Meat cooking 101 and 201

Hogs Breath Cafe use this method to cook their famous 18 hour steak.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!