Only 4 posts in Portable section

Any general items, polls
12x7

Only 4 posts in Portable section

Post by 12x7 »

Anyone notice that there are only 4 posts in the portable section?

What happened to all the posts?
the dane

Re: Only 4 posts in Portable section

Post by the dane »

That's because that's just a small section it's the portable section can only hold 4
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

No its because Lovey ( Steve) has been doing some forum tidying up and he feels that it was best that the posts go into appropriate categories such as Charcoal, Gas, Wood or Pellet etc. Even though they are portable, there wasn't enough activity in that section so once the tidying up is done, we may just delete the portable section. He asked me first before he acted and i gave him the go ahead as his reasoning was suitable.
I feel that we had too many categories and it might've been ok whilst the forum was busy but we are trying to trim it down a bit to the BBQ and fuel types.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
the dane

Post by the dane »

Its very quiet at the moment. Would the aussie bbq forum ever open a Facebook page?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

the dane wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:27 pm Its very quiet at the moment. Would the aussie bbq forum ever open a Facebook page?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
But if we done that, no-one would come here.

Many traditional forums have gone by the wayside due to Facebook.
Used to be that FB was the domain of teens but the oldies have taken over.
The Australian BBQ Alliance Facebook page is huge with thousands of members but posts disappear rapidly unlike forums as you can come back years after and find the posts or subject but not with facebook.

Its all about instant gratification.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Good to see the "missing posts" was intentional.

Making things simpler is a good idea.
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

Yes, It was me, a bit of early spring cleaning :D .
I moved most of the posts to a different area, mainly in relation to the fuel type, whilst some were better suited to the 'What did you cook' area, some into 'Gadgets' and some I deleted (the ones without any info with broken photo links).
My reasoning being that a Weber baby Q, whilst it is portable, still runs off gas. It should make it easier to search for info on a Weber Q if it only exists
in one area (Gas). It was also amazing how many posts about family Q's were in the 'Portable' section :roll:
I hope that explains things, in addition to what Davo has already said.
If you have any concerns, please feel free to PM me.
All the best,
Steve
Mr_Miagi

Post by Mr_Miagi »

Ok I get why they have been moved and fair enough, but I liked it as it was almost a dedicated Weber Q thread.

Is there a new one for Weber Q's or do I have to search through each topic. It was good having all the Weber Q stuff in one spot.
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

Mr_Miagi wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:12 pm Ok I get why they have been moved and fair enough, but I liked it as it was almost a dedicated Weber Q thread.
That's true, but there was a heap of other posts in there that weren't, and a lot pertained to BBQ's that weren't even portable.
Is there a new one for Weber Q's or do I have to search through each topic. It was good having all the Weber Q stuff in one spot.

When you say Weber Q, do you mean only the baby Q/100/120/1000/1200, or do you mean all of the variants of the 3 different Weber Q sizes available?
If it's just the baby Q size, they have been moved to gas, as that's the fuel source.

It should make it easier to search for tech info on a Weber Q (any size) as before the posts could have been either in portable or gas, where as now they are in one section.

I hope this clears things up.
All the best,
Steve
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Portable section of the forum RIP

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

It was I that deleted the Portable section because when i seen that there was 4 spam posts dated back to the year 2000, 6 years before the forum began.
The author was just listed as 'Guest'
I have no idea how they plant such posts here but have had this issue before and i just can't delete these posts like i can with other posts so after trying a few things, i decided to delete the entire Portable forum which i can remake anytime but is it really needed now?
Since other posts were sent to their respective fuel types, the spam posts must've been planted towards the end of the forum posts as the dating would've ensured that they would've been the very first there....the same happened in the ' What did you cook' category.

I don't what purpose those spam posts are posted as they are but they came from places like France. Don't know if they have any other sinister motives.

Sorry to everyone for any inconvenience caused.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

If you cared to look at any of the categories in this forum, going right back to the very beginning of those categories, (ie..highest number at the end of pages) you'll find a number of post heading copying other topic titles, you'll see under it that it says guest thursday jan1 1970 before even the internest here.
My guess is that it doesn't serve any other purpose other than placed where they are, the only way to get rid of them is to wipe out the entire forum category as they can't be rid of using normal methods.
The titles by this guest have no content in their posts.

Whoever has done this is very clever so not much can be done apart from leaving them there.
It almost feels as if our forum was used as practice for something more sinister....or just a practical joke...who the heck knows :roll:

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
the dane

Post by the dane »

I can recall 5 or 6 years ago there was lots of spam going on here. And lots of crazy stuff
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah Dane but many forums get affected by spam these days and is why i manually activate new memberships so it keeps the spammers at bay, by using whereis, i can usually see where they are from but its the one's with mobile isp numbers that are hard to keep track of.
However these posts in question seems to have been planted by using an date that makes it imposdible to delete...its beyond my understanding of computers on how to stop this from happening as we don't even have a member called guest and you can't post unless you're a member....buggered if I know!! :|
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5