Kamado Joe

Any general items, polls
the dane

Kamado Joe

Post by the dane »

Hi guys I watch a lot of YouTube on kamados and mainly use the kamado Joe cooking channel with John Setzler and Pitmaster X. My wife said last night we'll why don't you just get one instead of using the akorn! Mmmm. I want one but I don't want one. I don't really have a major issue with the char griller akorn. We are looking at building an extension to our veranda and a 6 person spa bath, it that goes ahead I might definitely get one then for the new section. Only issue I have, is a living in Australia. I'm friends with the kamado joe Australian group, I know these things do crack from time to time or the fire bowl cracks. But people in Australia say it's a 8 week 3 month wait on warranty parts coming from the USA. We're the American boys seem to get the part overnight or in 2 days. Surely if Barbeques Galore is taking this brand on why can't they have a warehouse full of parts. With all my Webers I own I have had two issues only minor issues and both were posted on that day received a day latter, Weber's warranty is amazing in this country. So is spending $2,000 to $2,500 worth it? Just before I brought my WSM I came across a BBQ shop in Adelaide that had one big steel keg left, he wanted $1,000. I look back now I should have grabbed it. Should of said $800. Anyway what's your thought guys

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

12x7

Re: Kamado Joe

Post by 12x7 »

I'm assuming you're talking about a Kamado Joe Classic II.

Since you have an Akorn, Performer, Kettle, Weber Family Q etc I would save your money and build an extension first.

I own a KJ Classic and Akorn.

They cook differently. Is one better than the other? It is subjective. I find the ceramic cooks moister. That is good and bad. I can hammer the Akorn as it is tough as. You have be a lot more gentle with a ceramic. On the flipside the Akorn is starting to rust being metal and the KJ is still going strong. So when you look at overall costs it is about the same. The Akorn is cheaper but will rust away before the KJ. Over a 10 year period they both will cost about the same.

BBQG is slow when it comes to warranty on KJ's. The good thing is KJ's are well made. The new ones crack even less than the old ones with their new design.

If you can still buy a BSK for $1,000. Get it. They are worth a lot more. I think from Gasmate they are $2,500-$3,000 nowadays.
the dane

Re: Kamado Joe

Post by the dane »

12x7 wrote:I'm assuming you're talking about a Kamado Joe Classic II.

Since you have an Akorn, Performer, Kettle, Weber Family Q etc I would save your money and build an extension first.

I own a KJ Classic and Akorn.

They cook differently. Is one better than the other? It is subjective. I find the ceramic cooks moister. That is good and bad. I can hammer the Akorn as it is tough as. You have be a lot more gentle with a ceramic. On the flipside the Akorn is starting to rust being metal and the KJ is still going strong. So when you look at overall costs it is about the same. The Akorn is cheaper but will rust away before the KJ. Over a 10 year period they both will cost about the same.

BBQG is slow when it comes to warranty on KJ's. The good thing is KJ's are well made. The new ones crack even less than the old ones with their new design.

If you can still buy a BSK for $1,000. Get it. They are worth a lot more. I think from Gasmate they are $2,500-$3,000 nowadays.
BSK was a few years ago now. That shoped closed not long after. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk