Lots of lurkers

Any general items, polls
12x7

Lots of lurkers

Post by 12x7 »

There's been quite a few posts about how quiet the forum is.

It is really interesting however how many people are reading the new posts which means that lots of people are still visiting the forum but not posting.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Lots of lurkers

Post by Davo »

Yes i agree 12 x7...what would it take to turn this around?

The forum is much easier to use now especially with posting pics

I wish we could motivate these lurkers to contribute...then maybe the forum could become more active.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

The forum is still getting a lot of hits... Lots of good posts... ANyway keep posting if your active and reply and help your fellow BBQ-ers...

Happy BBQ-ing, Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Davo wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:22 pm Yes i agree 12 x7...what would it take to turn this around?

The forum is much easier to use now especially with posting pics

I wish we could motivate these lurkers to contribute...then maybe the forum could become more active.

Cheers

Davo
Now that photos are so much easier to upload and lots of photos disappeared with sites like Photobucket no longer working it would be good to see some of the old photos reposted. Maybe some of the earlier members could help.

Also some of the stories involved where pretty good. They are buried in history in the forum so new members would miss them. Maybe some of them could be restarted/ refreshed?

Also some of the members were part of some famous Q comp teams. It would be good to hear what they are up to. They would generate good posts and encourage members to visit them when they are competing locally.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I doubt that will happen mate, unfortunately many have moved on and no longer come here so I guess it'll be forever lost.

This forum along with many others (other interests other than BBQ) have been hit with the same fate, Photobucket has really done collateral damage to many a forum......when I heard this was happening, I quickly signed in and downloaded all my stored photos back to my computer so I don't care if Photobucket sinks...it was a terrible thing to do. They just pulled 3rd party hosting with barely a warning..it was more of less pay up or no share.

One of the reasons why this forum was updated to be able to accept photos as attachments....it works well.

Tapatalk has a patchy relationship with forums sometimes....it was kinda on and off. Some found it good, others like me found it frustrating.

Anyway...while folks are still wanting to join, there's hope...while it's quiet...less work to do :lol:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

Davo wrote:I doubt that will happen mate, unfortunately many have moved on and no longer come here so I guess it'll be forever lost.

This forum along with many others (other interests other than BBQ) have been hit with the same fate, Photobucket has really done collateral damage to many a forum......when I heard this was happening, I quickly signed in and downloaded all my stored photos back to my computer so I don't care if Photobucket sinks...it was a terrible thing to do. They just pulled 3rd party hosting with barely a warning..it was more of less pay up or no share.

One of the reasons why this forum was updated to be able to accept photos as attachments....it works well.

Tapatalk has a patchy relationship with forums sometimes....it was kinda on and off. Some found it good, others like me found it frustrating.

Anyway...while folks are still wanting to join, there's hope...while it's quiet...less work to do :lol:

Cheers

Davo

I’m a reasonably recent member and enjoy the forum. Thanks to the admin peeps for keeping it going.

Why do I like it? Well I’m not in Bookface or other social media - so it’s one of my few choices. I reckon that other social channels might have taken a few members from forums like these ... for example, I believe a butcher I use sometimes - Char Char Char - has thousands
of social media members. Not me - to quote Malcom Blight ‘I could not give a rats toss bag’ about Facebook but I like specific forums like this, stuff about orchids and info about guitar pedals ... yeah ... go figure - a reasonably eclectic mix of interests.

Anyway, I ramble - I like the people, the photos and the stories here - so I hang around and I’m glad I moved from lurker to participant.

By the way - While no photos (I was too busy talking, drinking and cooking) ..: I had friends over tonight - that fillet steak that I spoke about on Friday - I did it on the Weber LX with a pepper sauce.
Bloody fantastic [emoji106]. Also ripped out some chilli [emoji892] prawns 🦐 for entree.
Bang!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Powderdigit
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

And so glad you're here Powederdigit....well I do also use facebook quite often and occassionally on BBQ groups like the Aussie Weber Kettle club but I also have a huge interest in Bicycle Touring not that i've done much of it yet, still trying to get gear together but I read a lot of stories about people riding their bicycles all round the world....if only i discovered this 40 years ago lol but theres some great stuff on either FB or other forums like crazy guy on a bike...lots of journals of people touring on bikes.
I am a member on other BBQ forums in Australia and one or two in the US but to me....this is home...i just feel comfy here even though it sometimes has been a PITA but even though many of the originals have moved on, their legacy remain....this is/was the very first Australian BBQ forum ever and was quite active in the earlier days but there's so much out there now to entice even the hardiest forum person.

I still intend to keep this forum going even though at times i've thrown my hands in the air in frustration lol but when it comes to talk about a subject, you just can't beat the tried and true forum structure...where Facebook and other media outlets seem to be all over the place.

Here we have a smaller community, not 10's of thousands of members.

I love it here ...easier to manage these days....I've even tried to walk away a few times....but just can't :lol:

cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

Cheers for keeping it going. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Powderdigit
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

We'll keep iy going... And a lot of users come back for the archives... But the new posts and photos really help!!
We should have no issues going forward with the photos....
Haha no linkage with FB as it actually does (as Davo pointed out) cause some leakage to FB only....

Anyway all you lurkers... post away ...

Happy BBQ-ing, Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.