Youtube reviews that say nothing !

Any general items, polls
Bronson

Youtube reviews that say nothing !

Post by Bronson »

The duel probe thermometer I have at the moment is giving me some headaches, one of the probes plays up and the unit drains batteries quicker then I drink beer.. :o (not really) so I was looking on Youtube at reviews of the Maverick ET 733 and the ThermoWorks Smoke thermometers.
I was seconds away from hitting the pay now button to buy the ThermoWorks one, when I realised that the probes thickness would not go though the smokers inlet holes, they were 9mm thick !! So plan "B" will get the Maverick ET 733, and the one thing I really would like to know is, how far does the wireless work ? will it work with it in the house while the Tx is outside in the BBQ area 20ft away, not one of the 5+ review on Youtube test it's distance.
I would dearly like to have a wireless duel thermometer that has a range of 30m and will work with the Tx inside a house, and not next to a window nearest the Rx either, something that can be placed in the lounge room or dining room.
Do any members here have the Maverick ET-733 ? I would love to get a couple of test done on how it performs on having the Rx hidden in a timber BBQ area and the Tx 30m away in the middle of the house.
12x7

Re: Youtube reviews that say nothing !

Post by 12x7 »

I have the et732 which is a less fancy et733 as we can see below. It’s not bluetooth (good) and I use mine with the receiver about 10-15 meters away from the transmitter inside the house.

I like it over the thermometer apps for your smartphone as you can use them with your hands covered in stuff without the worry of destroying your expensive phone with charcoal dust or raw meat and blood and suffering software upgrade or Bluetooth problems or mobile low battery. When you’re cooking you don’t want to be a computer tech trying to get the thermometer to work, especially after an app upgrade when they change the features and you no longer get what you bought.

https://www.americanbbqaustralia.com.au ... long-range

Bronson

Post by Bronson »

12x7 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:12 am I have the et732 which is a less fancy et733 as we can see below. It’s not bluetooth (good) and I use mine with the receiver about 10-15 meters away from the transmitter inside the house.

I like it over the thermometer apps for your smartphone as you can use them with your hands covered in stuff without the worry of destroying your expensive phone with charcoal dust or raw meat and blood and suffering software upgrade or Bluetooth problems or mobile low battery. When you’re cooking you don’t want to be a computer tech trying to get the thermometer to work, especially after an app upgrade when they change the features and you no longer get what you bought.
Thank you, 84

Could you be so kind to do a test for me :) ? Could you place a wheelie bin(full of rubbish or not) about 20m from your house and then place the Rx behind it(close as possible) and place the Tx say 5m inside your home. See if the Wi-Fi signal still works OK please, this would sort of replicate my BBQ area with gardens and timber surrounds and the distance between it and the dining/lounge room.
I will not be going near another Bluetooth thermometer again.........EVER!
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

I don't have the set-up to try your layout as it sounds like you have a nice big backyard :D

I put the transmitter in the backyard and went to the front yard of the neighbours across the road about 60M away so the house was between the transmitter and the receiver. It worked fine. Looking at the specs they say it is still supposed to work up to 300ft/100M so it seems about right it should work.
the dane

Post by the dane »

Had the 733 for 12 months now, kamado is far end of yard, receiving unit normally sits in the bedroom or front room of the house. So it's traveling through five walls no issues

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bronson

Post by Bronson »

Thanks you for doing the test/s and responses, I did find a review for an earlier model of the Maverick that showed the same as you 24x7, they went though there house as well. The Dane that is perfect and will now go ahead and order one.....many thanks again gentleman.

PS big backyard....??? lets say we would be talking 100's of meters :shock:
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

Just read this thread - love it that you folk are testing stuff for each other .... Good point that 12*7 made about smart phone apps - that's what the iGrill is that comes with Weber that I am buying ... oh well, I've never used a heat probe - so I'll start at iGrill and go from there.
Powderdigit
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Powderdigit wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:26 am Just read this thread - love it that you folk are testing stuff for each other .... Good point that 12*7 made about smart phone apps - that's what the iGrill is that comes with Weber that I am buying ... oh well, I've never used a heat probe - so I'll start at iGrill and go from there.
Interested how you go with the IGrill. People have been complaining about the bluetooth problems with it and when Weber changed its name the change in the app functions.
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

12x7 wrote:
Powderdigit wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:26 am Just read this thread - love it that you folk are testing stuff for each other .... Good point that 12*7 made about smart phone apps - that's what the iGrill is that comes with Weber that I am buying ... oh well, I've never used a heat probe - so I'll start at iGrill and go from there.
Interested how you go with the IGrill. People have been complaining about the bluetooth problems with it and when Weber changed its name the change in the app functions.
Yes - people completely canned an August update - which seems to be being rectified through two recent updates in September - albeit no reviews of the recent updates that I can see .:. Yet. In truth - the thermo is basically an add in. Part of me was going to get the model without rotisserie and iGrill ... still might - and put the rotisserie on the kettle instead. Should finalise deal tomorrow or Monday at latest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Powderdigit
Bronson

Post by Bronson »

Hey Powderdigit,

It seems that just about anything that is or has bluetooth connectivity has a very short range, I saw on here the review for inkbird thermos and it starts off how great, BUT they have no range and dont seem to go close to what the manufacturer claims, looking on Amazon it is the same anything that has a Bluetooth connection have complaints about the distance.
As 12 x 7 pointed out too you dont want to be putting dirty or greasy hands all over your phone while cooking.
Looking forward to see what you come home with !