bloody weber bug

Any general items, polls
Commander Cody

bloody weber bug

Post by Commander Cody »

it appears once bitten by the bug you can get hit again.

after collecting and adopting out all those orphans ( kettle BBQs ), and getting down to just the Q, one kettle and the bullet, i thought i would be OK.

i left GORDY out of the above collection 'cause i just wanted weber in it. and i have given the traeger to my son-in-law.

the kettle now has a friend. yes i rescued another orphan, this one was loved and used quite a bit until about 6 years ago. he must have bought a Q. anyhow, it had been sitting in his shed, i saw it and just had to grab it. $10.oo...............

as well as the kettle i scored a weber roasting rack, tool hanger and a weber corn and potato ring.

i had never seen one of these before. it sits perfectly on the grill all around the edge of it, and leaves just the right size for the roasting rack to sit in the middle. it holds 16 spuds or corn, or a mixture of what ever vegie you desire.

i might just have a crack at using it on the weekend, although i am not liking the thought of cleaning it afterwards. scary looking, and too big even for the laundry sink, might just have to use the high pressure hose thing if it gets too grubby.

i re-seasoned the grill this arvo, i took the grill orf my Q and placed it on the kettle's grill after making sure the charcoal was fully burning and pre-heated it for 15 mins, then cooked two wonderful T-bone steaks. i chucked on some corn, but just wrapped in foil because the missus ripped orf the husks. i could have used the c & p ring but thought that was overkill, and, i just wanted to play.

looks and feels like the Q might go on permanent vacation, or just hang in there for total fire ban days.

talking of total fire ban days, have you noticed the wording the rural fire fighters ( QLD ) are using lately?

"............OR CONTAINED BBQs........" does that mean we can use our kettles and pellet poopers? or am i just trippin' again.

photos later

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
12x7

Re: bloody weber bug

Post by 12x7 »

Commander Cody wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:29 am
talking of total fire ban days, have you noticed the wording the rural fire fighters ( QLD ) are using lately?

"............OR CONTAINED BBQs........" does that mean we can use our kettles and pellet poopers? or am i just trippin' again.

photos later

kevin
I think it means pellet and Kamados are ok. Maybe worth giving SEQ a call.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Well well well....need I say it....the Weber Kettle is the most versatile BBQ on the planet and will pretty much do what other BBQs will do...within reason and size but theres a reason why the kettle is just as popular today as I was back in the 70's and 80's if not more so. Yeah there's been copies, then other types such as Komados and offsets were made popular.....but...I've never seen a rotiserie on a Komado or offset but you can on a Weber kettle.

Great buying Kev, even those accesories would be worth around $150 to buy today.

They are just great fun....and they last n last n last for donkeys years!!

LONG LIVE WEBER KETTLES!! :P :lol:

AS for fire-bans....not sure about QLD but any solid fueled BBQ is banned unless theres been a review.

It's not so much the contained fire, but any sparks that may come off charcoal or wood etc. is the issue...you don't need much to start a fire in extreme conditions.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Davo wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:44 pm I've never seen a rotiserie on a Komado.
"The modern kamado-style grill is based on ancient technology. The earliest cooking vessels were made of clay and found in China, dated to be over 3,000 years old." https://www.bbqguys.com/bbq-learning-ce ... ls-history

A Kamado with a roti

Kamado Joe JOETISSERIE Chicken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg0c6q3Y9HM

Kamado wok cooking

Big Green Egg Kamado can sear a steak at 1000F

Big Green Egg cooking two pigs

Kamado cooking in the snow. They work great doing low and slow when it is very cold.
Last edited by 12x7 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Kettle are great fun.

Try adding a Slow n Sear.

https://abcbarbecue.com/

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2016/01 ... er-kettle/

I own a Kamado and a Kettle with a SnS. Both cook great food but use different ways to do it in the way you use the fuel and vents to cook.

The SnS is great for reverse searing your steak. With such a large coal area you can really get some heat going and with the top so close to the grill you can pile it up so you sear the steak just above the coals.

For low and slow you can fill it up and run it for about 8 hours unattended and the water section acts as a great moisteriser and heat barrier.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Trust you to find a bloody Komado rotiserie 12 x 7.....goodonya :lol: :lol:

I've never seen one till now....however....I stand by my case about the kettle...how many new kettles can you buy for the same price as a Smokey Joe or a BGE...I'd say at least 3 x OTG's.

or 2 Performer Kettles :P

I'd like to get the rotiserie for my Performer,I think they're around $200. Could happen soon.

I'm going to rely on my performer and Q320 this Summer as I've sold the WSM a couple of Months ago. I found all I need to cook can be done on these 2 BBQs. As much as I liked my WSM, I found it was overkill for what i do these days as there's only me and the Mrs to cook for and with my shift work..getting the quality time is the hardest....but i'll make do with what i have but a rotiserie would make things more spectacular and gives me something to play with :roll:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

An Akorn Kamado is RRP $499 which is about the same price a Kettle OTG so things are pretty equal prize wise when you compare a metal Kamado with a Kettle.

Owning both an Akorn and a Kettle for some time now I like both as they cook differently.

The kettle is good for the man with fire mood. More heat = more charcoal. Less heat = less charcoal.

Kamado. Remove Kettle brain cells as driving a Kamado like a kettle is not what to do and discover it is air tight and the vents really work to control the temperature.

Back to the theme of this thread.

The kettle is a great way to cook.

I have been collecting bits and pieces for my kettle during council clean-up and have some new grills, cast iron plate, handles. It is amazing what people throw away. It just keeps on going after 20 years.

If I had my time over again and the Slow N Sear was available 20 years ago I would have bought one and not wasted money on the weber charcoal baskets as they kept on rusting out.
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

12x7,

those slow n sear look bloody good, i also checked out the vortex.

could go either way, but, the sns looks the winner from the reviews.

anywhere in OZ that sells these?

thanks blokes for the thoughts on fire ban days, will check with my local rurals.

kevin
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

strooth,

just checked out "the urban griller's" site, for the sns.

$255.00...............

in the yousay they are selling for $89.00 for the standard and &125.00 for the improved s/s base.
i think Chris has the new and improved.

even with p&h it's gotta be at least half Chris's price for sure.

kevin
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

All you need Kev is a couple of Paver bricks to do the same thing mate....it's only a way to portion some of the grill area for coals and meat.....then just slide a tray of cold water over top of where the coals are and bingo...cost free (except for paver bricks)
I used to do that long ago before i bought the WSM. The only thing is you have to overlap the bricks a bit to get them to fit end to end but that's no biggie....and...don't forget for low n slow you've got the famous snake!! :P
Won't go into detail but the bloke you mentioned would be the last one i'd be buying stuff from :evil:
Was up doing some chicken wings last night at 9pm on the kettle....bloody delish....tonight if i get home in time from the motorcycle ride, i''ve got some beef short ribs to smoke up....jeez i like my rare days off!! :D

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

yeah Davo,

still got the snake,

boy has that taken orf or what, who would of thunk my post would change the BBQ world 'ey.

now, as you know i am no techy so could you please explain how your "couple of pavers" should be set up, just wanna try different things,or if someone has done the stainless bucket cut orf.............what size bucket and at what height please? tia.

not going to ask why you would not buy orf Chris for, it is between you and him mate. :D

good luck with the shorties. hope they turn out as good as your wings did for you.

kevin
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Commander Cody wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:13 am strooth,

just checked out "the urban griller's" site, for the sns.

$255.00...............

in the yousay they are selling for $89.00 for the standard and &125.00 for the improved s/s base.
i think Chris has the new and improved.

even with p&h it's gotta be at least half Chris's price for sure.

kevin
The SnS plus weighs a ton as it is heavy gauge stainless steel and the shipping cost from the US is the killer.

I tried the bricks with the weber charcoal baskets and you got to watch out if they explode. I figure you got to use the special fire brick and not the normal ones they make houses out of. Even with two weber charcoal baskets together fully loaded doesn't have the same amount of heat output as the SnS.

What convinced me to get one was after watching Baby Backs Summit vs SnS video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXB_lQYWols&t=529s

Adding a $100 SnS to the kettle produced pulled pork just as good as a US$2000 Summit.
Last edited by 12x7 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Commander Cody wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:19 pm yeah Davo,

still got the snake,

boy has that taken orf or what, who would of thunk my post would change the BBQ world 'ey.

now, as you know i am no techy so could you please explain how your "couple of pavers" should be set up, just wanna try different things,or if someone has done the stainless bucket cut orf.............what size bucket and at what height please? tia.

not going to ask why you would not buy orf Chris for, it is between you and him mate. :D

good luck with the shorties. hope they turn out as good as your wings did for you.

kevin
Yeah Kev, I use to use the paver bricks when i last lived in Sydney coz I had a few spares from around the pool. I seen on the You tube once where a bloke used fire-brick (from a fireplace shop i beleive) and they looked like ordinary paver bricks we use in Oz and for the purpose of low n slow, the amount of live coals dumped on unlit coals (minion method for a kettle basically ) it wouldn';t get hot enough to explode the bricks anyway.....so you get 2 pavers, they won't fit end to end on one side of the kettle but if you overlap the ends a bit like a zigzag method, with each end hard up against the sides of the kettle, you'll still have 1/3 kettle for fire and 2/3rds for meat, basically the pavers acted like a barrier and because they absorbed some of the heat, it wouldn't radiate to the meat and burn it...worked like a charm everytime, never had an exploding brick...don't forget bricks are made under much higher heat than a kettle will put out...but i wouldn't use house bricks, too thick.
House bricks are good for making a pizza stone, get the ones with the 8 holes n them, line up about 6-8 of them together in the middle of kettle on top of food grate above the fire, 3-4 per side...when they get hot enough, sprinkle some corn flour overtop of the bricks (holes facing up) and lay pizza on top of bricks.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

davo,

thanks for that.

however i decided to buy a sns orf Chris,

he had a standard one, that was used twice for a photo shoot promo, and offered it to me at a discounted price.

too good to refuse, so some-time next week i will be trying this thing out, and i hope it is as good as 12x7 writes.

thanks for the recommendation 12x7.

kevin