BBQ?

Any general items, polls
Truman

Re: BBQ?

Post by Truman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Thanks heaps everyone, I'll be checking out everything mentioned here. (I especially like the idea of the chimney etc for the Weber kettle.)

One option that I'm currently considering, is getting the smaller Heston charcoal BBQ, the Fusion, and to use that a bit to see how it performs, because we could then use it in the campertrailer; whilst camping any heat up times are not an issue - we have gas stovetop built into the camper for quicker meals. If it's good, then I could get the HUB for home when cooking for a few, or just use the Fusion if just the 4 of us. Hectors Smoke House has youtube reviews of the Fusion, cooking both steaks and a whole chook on the rotisserie.

Oh, does anyone have good BBQ book recommendations?

12x7

Post by 12x7 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:59 pm

This site has lots of bbq videos with recipes.

http://bbqpitboys.com/

Truman

Post by Truman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:47 pm

OK guys, I've just come home and started talking BBQs with the lovely wife and she has imparted a snippet of information of I was previously unaware ... for our camper trailer, Catherine would like a small, portable, charcoal BBQ with a hood. For gas, at this stage I would have gone with the Zeigler and Brown, but what about charcoal? So for the camper trailer / camping, both size and weight are key.

Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:55 pm

If you want a portable charcoal grill with cover, you can't go past a Weber Go Anywhere, you'll often see them referred to as a WGA on the site. You can fit a whole bag of heat beads inside them, so they're very convenient.
You can get a set of cast iron grills for them if you want to, especially good for steaks, but the grates are heavy. I don't know if you can get Grill Grates in that size.

Mr Peter

Post by Mr Peter » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:07 pm

There's another option that just came to mind: go to your local Chinese supermarket, and you'll likely find a traditional ceramic stove for around the $20 mark. I use one for various Asian "street food" dishes, and they're awesome. There's also the metal bucket BBQ's (I got mine for about $10 IIRC), which although very basic, are just as good for cooking a steak as anything else on the market.

Truman

Post by Truman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:02 pm

Ok, an update. We got the Weber Family Q, and a Weber Go Anywhere (for the camper trailer). Will still use the old Weber kettle for a bit but might upgrade it to an Akorn Komodo. For the Q we also got the solid plate and warming rack.

Mr Peter

Post by Mr Peter » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:24 pm

I've never used the Q, but the Go Anywhere will serve you well - it's a great piece of kit. I hope you enjoy using them.

Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:52 am

:mrgreen:

Another vote for the Baby 'Q' :D

It can easily cook 6 x thick, half kilo steaks :wink:

When I looked for a new BBQ to replace the aged 4 x burner, I went to BBQ Galore and seen their version of the 'Q' range, the Zeigler and Brown.

When comparing the Baby 'Q' to a Zeigler and Brown, the griddle bars are much thinner on the Z and B and there is no ceramic coating evident on the Z and B either.

With the Weber 'Q' thicker bbq griddle bars they obviously transfer more heat into the meat, as well as allowing the flame to add some taste :)

I always wondered why the Z and B can cook with the lid open and they say the Weber can't........ still waiting for the answer on that.
With the lid down you get the moist steak as it cooks from underneath and due to the 'oven' style of cooking (with lid down) you get further cooking too :)
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P