What makes a 'good' and 'great' BBQ?

Any general items, polls
Captain Cook

Re: What makes a 'good' and 'great' BBQ?

Post by Captain Cook »

Sir_Ant.
Many people will discuss the merits of their BBQ and their reasons for buying it, however it all comes back to you and what you want the BBQ for. Your style of cooking, your taste, taking your skills to the next level, the versatility of the BBQ for different styles of cooking, how many will you generally cook for and how often will you use it.
I own 10 different BBQs and use them all, however the one I use the most was my Weber Q220 up until a few months ago, however I passed it on to a family that was struggling, and now use my Weber Genisis the most. I also use a Treager Pellet Grill and a Green Mountain Davy Crocket portable pellet grill. I also use a Weber Kettle and Performer. I have a Weber Go-anywhere and Weber Q100 in my Winniebago.
The common thread with all these BBQs is you cook on them with the lid down. That is the secret of making a BBQ meal taste better. The hot air circulates around the meat imparting a true BBQ taste and smoke if hot smoking. I wouldnt grill or BBQ any other way. Whatever BBQ syle you choose to get, be it gas, charcoal, wood or pellet my strongest suggestion is select one that you can use with the lid down. (You cant grill lid own on most of the el-cheapos you can only roast at lower temperatures with the lid down and they still buckle)
I demonstrated cooking and BBQs for Weber for about 7 years, which is one of the reasons I have so many Webers. Because of this I became very adept in using their products. There are other brands in the market place which are good and their owners will swear by them also, as they are adept at using them.
One last hint, sometimes we go to a BBQ get together and the meat tastes nice but you feel that there is something missing - its salt, you should always season the meat with a bit of salt before cooking. If you are on a salt reduced diet just salt one side.
Cheers
Captain
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Captain Cook wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:29 pm Sir_Ant.
I own 10 different BBQs
Captain
I own one Weber Family Q and love it. If I owned more than one, let alone 10, I would not have a marriage! :D

When seasoning with salt, what is involved Captain? Is it just sprinkling the salt over the meat prior to bbqing?

Geoff
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Captain Cook wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:29 pm Sir_Ant.
I own 10 different BBQs
Captain
I own one Weber Family Q and love it. If I owned more than one, let alone 10, I would not have a marriage! :D

When seasoning with salt, what is involved Captain? Is it just sprinkling the salt over the meat prior to bbqing?

Geoff
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Basically yes. I use the Jamie Oliver method and sprinkle a pinch full from a height. Works for me.
I own one Weber Family Q and love it. If I owned more than one, let alone 10, I would not have a marriage!
I've been threatened with that more than once, however she loves my cooking.

Captain
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I find the salt flakes like Maldon is good for this....is a fair bit dearer than most salt brands but it seems to disolve better than the crystalised salt. Any sea salt is good though....you don't need much, just a pinch on each side.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
C.B & S.

Post by C.B & S. »

What makes a great BBQ is:

A. The meat must be top quality.

B. A "Good" bbq master/miss.

C. Any good bbq WILL do the job if you have A + B.

Finally..."A bad workman always blames his tools"

So that's mo.

Cheers. :) :)

Keep on cooking
"Keeping Smoking Simple" (c)
Aldi Smoker. Camp Chef 18" Smoke Vault/ Masterbuilt Thermo-Temp XL--( All Gas )
Z & B 4 burner Turbo Classic
Maverick ET-7/72.Thermoworx Smoke
Yoder Kingsman & Other BBQ gear for HIRE.

mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Captain Cook wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:39 pm I've been threatened with that more than once, however she loves my cooking.

Captain
:D :D