Which BBQ

Any general items, polls
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Which BBQ

Post by Lovey »

G'day all,
not another 'which BBQ should I buy' thread, but a slight variation on that theme.
Most, if not all, would have multiple types of BBQ's, so what is your 'go to' BBQ and why?
I've got the choice of a kettle, a spit roaster, dragon kamado and a beefeater 4 burner gasser. Sadly enough, it's the beefeater 4 burner gas jobbie that gets most of the work these days.
I was on dinner duty tonight and it was a simple sausage sizzle. I decided to fire up the weber with a chimney full of heat beads, but it took about 45 minutes from go to whoa, whereas the gasser would have taken less than half that time.
I suppose I chose the wrong tool for the job, but I had some bags of heat beads that were beckoning in the garage, so what the hey.
What's your 'go to' BBQ?
Angryman65

Re: Which BBQ

Post by Angryman65 »

Your question is very timely as this discussion was being had at my house recently. Mostly about why there has to be so much BBQ stuff taking up all the space.

My back deck plays host to a ProQ, Bunnings kettle with roti and Pizza oven attachment and a 6 burner gasser. Chimneys, charcoal baskets, cold smoke generators and an assortment of other essential equipment (rib eacks, pizza stones, fish thingies, various baking dishes etc etc)

Used to be more BBQ's but a couple died and I'm not allowed to replace them unless they're big enough for me to live in.

My favourite is the ProQ, my most used BBQ is the bloody gasser. Mostly because of time, sausages for the boys is quick. Mid week charcoal means late meals when you both work.

Must need a WiFi controlled pellet grill, set it up before work and come home to a smoky tasty dinner. Just need to work out how to sell the idea of a BBQ that costs as much as a short holiday.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Gas or pellet as my go to. Why? Its fast.
When time permits, The big green egg or WSM comes out to play.
What I enjoy more than anything is starting a fire on the ground and cooking on it be it in the back yard or back packing out in the ranges. That is when you know your alive.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

These days my BBQ inventory comprises of the Weber Q3200, Weber Performer Kettle & my trusty old school WSM.
Plus a cabinet full of racks, grates, grill trays, pizza trays and trowels and other bbq related junk :lol:

Anyway, like most of you here in our Modern time poor lives, I go for the Q3200 for the what used to be everyday stuff but now is every now n then stuff, rarely get to see my BBQs......bloody sad isn't it :(

The Q3200 does pretty much everything I've wanted and if I had to live in an apartment (which could still be on the cards here in Sydney) then the Q3200 would be the only Q standing.

My Performer is still in the Garage and hasn't seen a fire since i moved back to the Big Smoke, we have no undercover area here and i only have covers for the WSM and the Q but not the Performer...might have to fix that.....I love my Performer grill...nearly sold it a while back on ebay but pulled it off before I got a bid.....I just couldn't go through with it :oops: :lol:

WSM gets a look in about once every 6 weeks....but really for the amount of smoking i do these days, a kettle would handle everything. I'd like another pellet grill but honestly ....I would miss playing with the real flames :wink:

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5