Rolled brisket roast

Any general items, polls
lockyer

Rolled brisket roast

Post by lockyer »

I have bought 2 of these that I will put on the Pro Q
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... st+brisket
I want to smoke them and I have read about throwing them into a pot, but being that they were cheap, I thought I could do a bit more learning/cooking with the Pro Q.

Just need the weather to play nice this weekend. :)

Cheers L
titch

Re: Rolled brisket roast

Post by titch »

Love them as a pot roast,
Cheers
Titch
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

titch wrote:Love them as a pot roast,
OK take 2....wife has informed me that that roast is still in the freezer and she decided it will be a chook getting cooked.

Cheers
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

Well the pot roast is now defrosting and will start smoking on Friday.
It is 1.6kgs and I will be doing low and slow with some hickory smoke plus water pan.
Will be sticking with my remote thermometer so what Temp should I be looking for ?
We would like to have this for lunch so what time Friday morning should I kick off 6am ??

Cheers L
Tmb99

Post by Tmb99 »

Never done a 'rolled' brisket but when I cook em I aim for 100c (225f is quoted as a magic number by some!) cook temp and long cook time! Like 12+hrs. I use a charcoal webber, so take everything I say into account that it may be different!!

If I want it for lunch then I'd start at 9pm the night before and smoke, smoke, smoke. I'd then get up in the morning take it off and wrap in lots of foil and place in the oven at 100c until ready to serve.

The thing with these cuts is that you can't really over cook them. You don't want it pink in the middle, you want it cooked through and falling apart. I aim for around 100c (225f) internal temp as well.

Based on where it says you live. Next time do yourself a favour and go to the super butcher in Eagle farm and pick up a whole brisket. They always have them. Get the cheap ones as they also have expensive types. They also sell smoking wood ;)
Webber kettle and Hark gas smoker.
Currently blowing smoke signals in Brisvegas.
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

Tmb99 wrote:Never done a 'rolled' brisket but when I cook em I aim for 100c (225f is quoted as a magic number by some!) cook temp and long cook time! Like 12+hrs. I use a charcoal webber, so take everything I say into account that it may be different!!

If I want it for lunch then I'd start at 9pm the night before and smoke, smoke, smoke. I'd then get up in the morning take it off and wrap in lots of foil and place in the oven at 100c until ready to serve.

The thing with these cuts is that you can't really over cook them. You don't want it pink in the middle, you want it cooked through and falling apart. I aim for around 100c (225f) internal temp as well.

Based on where it says you live. Next time do yourself a favour and go to the super butcher in Eagle farm and pick up a whole brisket. They always have them. Get the cheap ones as they also have expensive types. They also sell smoking wood ;)
Thanks Tm99
I'm smoking in a Pro Q basically a knock off of the Weber Smokie Mountain. It might end up being dinner instead of lunch by the sounds of it ha ha

So the super butcher is the place - I think there is one at Ipswich....not sure, will go and check
Thanks for the advise it is really appreciated. :D

Cheers L
PS What neck of the woods are you in ?
hoddo

Post by hoddo »

With all respect to tmb99 I think you can overcook brisket, especially small ones. I'd leave it rolled and wouldn't go past 205f. Probly good idea to foil it at around 170f,this will shorten cooking time and help to retain moisture . Problem is brisket under 3-4 kilo just dont have the mass to take 12 hr of cooking without drying out. Start to probe it with a skewer at around 195f and when its very soft and the skewer has little resistance its done, by 205f it wont get much better no matter how long you leave it.
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

hoddo wrote:With all respect to tmb99 I think you can overcook brisket, especially small ones. I'd leave it rolled and wouldn't go past 205f. Probly good idea to foil it at around 170f,this will shorten cooking time and help to retain moisture . Problem is brisket under 3-4 kilo just dont have the mass to take 12 hr of cooking without drying out. Start to probe it with a skewer at around 195f and when its very soft and the skewer has little resistance its done, by 205f it wont get much better no matter how long you leave it.
Hi Hoddo

I have left it rolled and have a remote probe in it. When you say "foil it" does that mean wrap it in foil and then place it back into the smoker until it gets to 195 ?

Cheers L
Tmb99

Post by Tmb99 »

What I was getting at was that you can't use normal temp guides for beef e.g. 170f is "well done" so 200f is way over cooked by normal guides. However if you do manage to overcook it, it becomes beef biscuit :D

It'll only take on so much smoke, so that's why I transfer to oven rather than try and keep stable temp on BBQ. Especially when wrapped in foil! Another well known tip, while smoking keep it moist to help smoke get in by giving it a brush over or spray with whatever - water, marinade, stock, beer.

I'm located in Hamilton. All the best with the cook!
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

Hi Tm99

I found this recipe while I'm waiting.
http://rbandmindy.com/texas-smoked-beef-chuck/
It is what I'm cooking so will go out shortly and wrap the roast.

I looked up super butcher but not in ippy but are at Brown Plains, I have a few friends in that area so will call over during next week and see if they have some wood chucks.

Cheers L
hoddo

Post by hoddo »

Yep as it cooks at around 170f the moisture evaporating from the meat cools it to the point it "stalls" and can sit at this temp for a few hrs till it starts to rise again. If you wrap it, some use special paper bags, or baking paper and foil, or just foil, it retains the evaporating moisture and stops the stall. You can add a little moisture of your choice, such as Stock, apple juice, beer, pretty much whatever, this tends to steam it a little and soften the bark. Usually the wrap is removed once the temp is on the rise again, say 185f, this firms the bark again. I like to use baking paper first then foil as acids from the meat and rubs can in some cases dissolve the foil. All temp are just a guide as every chunk of meat cooks differently
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

Thanks hoddo

It has been on since just after 9am and is at 153f(12 noon) but going up very slow now, smoker is running at 120-125° will see how it is going at 1pm

Thanks guys for all the help too
Tmb99

Post by Tmb99 »

Great looking recipe for chuck, I'll have a look at it next time see what cost is per kg. That's the reason I started cooking brisket - so damn cheap per kg.

Never been to any others except Eagle Farm, hope they have wood at the other one! I normally get apple or cherry wood chunks. Oh and the other cut I get from them is rump caps, normally have them really cheap.
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

Hi Tm99

I have nothing planned for next week, no meetings etc for a change..so will go for a drive and have a look at the store. There is a weber store nearby as well I believe plus BBQ Galour is in the area as well, really need some wood chunks.

Well I have wrapped the roast at168f and put it back in will see how we go. Lucky I baked some fresh bread this morning so it's honey sandwiches for lunch and pulled beef tonight (fingers crossed)

Cheers L

update 3pm 184 F that's 6 hours so far
update just after 3-30pm it was 191 F put a skewer into it and there was nothing there no major resistant. Have it wrap again it more foil and sitting in the oven for 30 mins before I will have a look.
Tmb99

Post by Tmb99 »

How'd all end up going?? Happy with the outcome?