Heading up to Port Macquarie

Any general items, polls
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Anyone from here going up to the BBQ WARS competition this weekend?
I'll be heading up with some mates on bikes from Newcastle to Port via Gloucestor & Walcha via Thunderbots way & Oxley Hwy...it'll be great taking the bike for a good run.

II'll be judging again this year....another dose of protein overload...can't wait :P

There'll be over 92 teams this year...more than tripled in 3 years.....so if anyone wants to drool over the different huge smokers and watching some techniques....this is the place to go.

The action happens at the caravan park next to the town green overlooking the river.

Maybe see you in Port Macquarie on the 1st, 2nd & 3rd of April.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

92 teams. Wow. Would live to go and mingle, but a little too far for a day trip for me.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re:

Post by Davo »

yakabot wrote:92 teams. Wow. Would live to go and mingle, but a little too far for a day trip for me.

Shoulda hitched a ride with beaver there Yaka.....

Yeah sometimes it's just too far to go....same with me and Melb...I don't know my around there.....I'm bound to get on the wrong bloody tram :lol:

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Smokey

Re: Heading up to Port Macquarie

Post by Smokey »

Ride smart Davo, Those B Doubles thunder through that road. Lucky fella getting the week end off. :)
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Davo, I've always lived here and still don't know how trams work. I don't think anybody does.
Actually, it's the same for me with buses. Trains I can figure out. I'll stick with my car.
Only been at my new job about 3 months full time, so time off to attend a bbq fest wouldn't go down well.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah Yaka....i often wonder about those who compete in these comps and how they all can manage to load up all their stuff and have time off work...altho i just learnt this morning that Jester had to pull out just at the last minute due to work restraints so i guess there is always those time....shame, i was looking forward to having a few beers with him.

Mick...i don't think many B Dbles or semis go up that way much anymore...i've been up that was a few times now and seldom see one.....it won't be a Casey Stoner type ride but still looking forward to the Oxley twisties :)

To get my time off this weekend i had to work half of Easter...but at triple time...it's worth it. :P

Hope to run into Golly & Hogsy too...and watch Hillbilly Wes in action lol

Cyas after the weekend

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Have a great time. Take pics. :mrgreen:
(And ride a little bit like Stoner)
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Hi folks.....Well another BBQ wars have ended, the Meats Sweats who have taken the championship out twice at PM already got pipped at the post this time but still managed reserve champs.
It was a very warm Saturday, in fact I really felt faint waiting for the awards to presented ...anyway after a few glasses of water I was back on track...easy to forget to hydrate sometimes when you're having fun.
The judging was intense, 6 categories this year with 6 samples per category each we had to judge and towards the end, it was getting a bit much...even for me.
1 Chicken
2 lamb
3 pork
4 beef
5 pork ribs
6 Chef's choice

I had to go and have a 3 hour lie down after all that meat :lol:

Here are the pics on this posting....http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... 58&t=16807

The trip up was awesome, as my mate Chris and I headed up to Port Macquarie via the scenic route from Newcastle to Gloucestor via Dungog, then onto Walcha at the top of the range, then onto the Oxley HWY heading east once the sun was high in the sky and what a ride it was.....Holy Dooly :shock:
I'm no Stoner or Rossi but jeez I managed to scrape one side of my boot on one corner (frightened the crap outa me actually) I felt the rear tyre slide somewhat into a few left handers and my bike is only a 650 Suzi V-Strom, my mate Chris had a huge Victory Hardball with 1700cc and he left me for dead even in the corners....I didn't think cruisers were supposed to do that :o I must say though, compared to Harleys, the Victory's have much better cornering clearances and abilities. There was well over 300 corners to play on....by the time I got to Port mac., my brain was fried from all the concentration :lol: I'll definitely do it again one day, hopefully on a better bike.
One the way home it was a nice sedate trip back to Newcastle.....it was absolutely fantastic weather for bikes....no doubt!!
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5