Wet aging meat

Any general items, polls
skuzy

Wet aging meat

Post by skuzy »

Hi everyone
Looking for some help with trying out wet aging beef.

I'm thinking of buying a already cryovacced piece from Costco and starting with that.

My first question is :
If we know the date of when the meat was originally packed how far out from that date do we go work this? 35 -40 days?

I've seen a YouTube clip where this was done however the bloke took it out of the cryovac pack only to re vaccum seal it.
Is this necessary? What's the benefit of doing this?

From what I understand this is fairly straight forward ie just leave it in the pack for xxx days. Then for good to go on the BBQ.

Have I missed anything?

Cheers gents

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
Bentley

Re: Wet aging meat

Post by Bentley »

This was purchased on 10/23/15 with a sell by date of 11/3/15. I just saw a post recently that said a butcher told them if you don't know the package date to take the sell by date and subtract 15 days. I could believe that.

Question 1. This 16.6 pound Rib Roast will go 35 days from when I bought it. I guess the amount of Aging is subjective. I have found 35 days to be about right.

Question 2. This will stay in the original cryo package.

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

skuzy

Re: Wet aging meat

Post by skuzy »

Cheers Bentley .. ive been reading and reading many of your posts on Dry aging in particular.. which is why im going wet aging instead lol

managed to score a free minibar fridge so ill be using it primarily for this stuff..